Hundreds on drillings

Mightymariner

Only two fields drilled in my area, both are peas with no surplus on the surface and the birds don't seem interested, I doubt if there will be any action on them until they start chitting.

However, there are large flocks on the clover in the meadows...............amongst the pregnant ewes and newborn lambs. :rolleyes:

Plenty of pigeon on drillings here..... only problem Ive got is that Im a tractor driver working the ground and can only watch them from my cab :oops:

All the farms around here are busy drilling at the mo, so the birds will have plenty to chose from, it might be a job to keep up with them

Only two fields drilled in my area, both are peas with no surplus on the surface and the birds don't seem interested, I doubt if there will be any action on them until they start chitting.

However, there are large flocks on the clover in the meadows...............amongst the pregnant ewes and newborn lambs. :rolleyes:

Silenced air rifle opportunity?

Your farms drills must be good , loads of peas on the top on some of my permission got more going in over weekend .

Loads of drilling around now its everywhere but plenty of birds around ,out the next few days :good:

Hundreds on the linseed this morning - only went in yesterday. Depending how much it rains this morning (forecast is heavy rain for 3 hours) I may get onto them this afternoon.

Need to check if the peas are in yet too - were due in yesterday. Should be a good weekend!

Steve

First field, barley with scraps of sugar beet on top, had birds on when I arrived, and was littered with droppings and feathers - a safe bet you would think. Three hours later, three shots, nothing. Birds didn't come back or seem interested in decoying. I headed to some more barley, set up and managed 12 plus two ferals in three hours, wish I had gone there first. The dead certs don't always pan out that way, though I suspect the first field is an early morning, just before roosting spot as the birds roost in the trees around the field..

First field, barley with scraps of sugar beet on top, had birds on when I arrived, and was littered with droppings and feathers - a safe bet you would think. Three hours later, three shots, nothing. Birds didn't come back or seem interested in decoying. I headed to some more barley, set up and managed 12 plus two ferals in three hours, wish I had gone there first. The dead certs don't always pan out that way, though I suspect the first field is an early morning, just before roosting spot as the birds roost in the trees around the field..

Oh never mind mate atleast you got out and had a few :yes:

Had 70 birds yesterday mixed woodies and ferals and today just the 20

Yep, it was good to get out. Bumped into the keeper who lent me his crow caller - didn't shoot one! He must reckon I am useless! There's plenty of woodies about and in smaller bunches now too. However, they are flitting between rape and spring barley. Had the FUDs out again, they look good on drillings.

There is a God!

After two months of hard slog trying to shoot pigeons over OSR when all they want is clover from the deer pens, I saw the farmer's tractor on the beans this morning. Turns out they aren't up to muster so he's ragging them out and drilling barley on Tuesday. Wahaaaaaaay! :good: