17.hmr

Ferretboy111

Hello, im thinking about applying for a 17.hmr rifle for controlling the vermin on my shoot. Anyone got one and think they are any good for controlling rabbits and the odd fox? also what distances have people been able to kill a rabbit with these guns and are they centerfire or rimfire or both? Would be good to see if i can try and bag a few of the lampshy rabbits that just sit out of distance. :thumbs:

Many thanks

Alex

Hi,

Its a great round for your question. The 17HMR Rimfire gives you a 25 to 125 yards zero with a half inch above below kill zone. So in theory, put the croos on the target and gently squeeze the trigger.

For rabbits its awsome at ranges as fister mentions but be mindful of wind as the 17 grain bullet can easily be swayed. On Fox it also works a treat but reduce you distance to a sensible range and go for the head. I have heard tails, that the V-Max and the Hollow Point is good on chest shots out to 100 yards, but, I havent tried this and dont suggest it until you have worked your way up. So I stick to within 60'ish yards or less.

Its not that loud moderated which makes it a formidable vermin round. In Sussex it can be used in more places than the .22LR beleive it or not. As a frangible round it is actually safer even though its more powerful at ranges under 200-300 yards.

I love this round, have fun with it. :thumbs:

PS Thanks Frank, I appreciate the vote of confidence. :thumbs:

Hi alex

Axe is pretty spot on with his comments! but id say 100 yards on foxes in the head but as he said only if ur up 2 it! :thumbs:

Cant recomend the 17hmr enough! brilliant little round for rabbits and foxes at close range!

cant beat a CZ in 17hmr either! :thumbs:

I've got a Weihrauch in .17hmr and it's ACE! ;):lol: :o

Last night, I was taking rabbits with head shots at about 120 yards on a golf course. Harris Bi-pod, lamps, 20g CCI TNT Hollowpoint, landcruiser bonnet to lean on. Great combo. Suppressed with an ASE supressor too so you can hardly call it loud. Compared to a .17, the trajectory of a .22 is like a rainbow.

PS. Hollowpoint is not a frangible round. It's a hollow point. Having said that, if it hits the rabbit, it's sort of done but watch it because it's still got about 130ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards and 100ft/lbs of energy at 150 yards. You have to go to a massive 890 yards before it drops to the energy levels of an air rifle.

Therefore, technically, you should be able to take rabbits at 200 yards plus with this round (is that a row I can hear coming?) and not have to worry about it. Be confident - that's a drop of just over 10" at 200 yards. Its just a little adjustment and it still has 72 ft/lbs of energy! And if you miss - so what - you missed! If you hit it then that's what the dog is for.

This is a stonking round and you can take some wonderful shots with it.

I went for the Weihrauch as they make great air rifles and was confident that they would do the .17 the same way. Absolutely chuffed with it. It's what moon lit nights were made for :wub:

RTD

Which Golf course Rio, as it looks like you're in my neck of the woods, My .17 gets most of its exercise near Hitchin.

Its a cracking round and unless you've loads of rabbits far more fun than a .22LR as you can hit the really long shots as long as you have a good scope and a bit of ability. Do you find the 20 grain bullets cause much less meat damage? as so far I've stuck to the Vmax's as a lot of our shooting is just to control vermin on a friends farm so damage isn't an issue which is a good thing if the rabbits are close!