NEW GAME STOP THE BUNNIES CROSSING THE STREAM

madmanx

So guys what do you reckon to the 17hmr I shoot about 600 bunnies a yr with a rimmy but what are the pros and cons of swapping to a hmr how expensive is the ammo compared with rimmy stuff and is the hmr noisy? does it put off bunnies in the surrounding area ?please let me know your comments. Regards Terry

William it is more expensive to run than a .22LR 100 rounds of 17grain V-Max are around £18-22. The supersonic crack cant be avoided but it is very short and sharp. So far I havent noticed it causing problems on neighbouring rabbits but these werent tight groups. But the range it gives you is much much better and the accuracy is better with just a 1 inch KZ from 25-125 yards. Just mind it in heavy winds.

Cheers Axe is there any isuues with regards to ricohet (not sure wether that is the correct spelling). I know from experience the rimmy can ping off the ground from time to time but I am assuming a hmr won't so much as the bullet will break up more? Terry

Terry,

The 17HMR being a frangable round wont ricoche like the .22LR slug although, i'm sure you could get it to do it if you really wanted to. Sussex Police prefer this round to the .22LR for this reason and clear more land for the .17HMR than the .22LR. Even though its much more powerful under 300 yards.

I've got 20g CCI Hollow point in my .17 and it is not a frangible round, of that I can assure you. Problem loading so they have to be hand fed. Back to the 17g Amax next time.

On the golf course there is a crack but there is enough noise at night to make it disappear. How many acres is there? Trees all over the place and the wind takes it away. Different type of shooting. walk into the wind, do about 10 paces and scan with either the bino's or the big lamp. Walk up to about 120 yards of the bunny and then take it out. The only problem is carrying the damn things back to the truck. All of a sudden you've got 10 of them!

Last night I was on the driving range and was taking them at 150 yards with me using the bonnet of my land cruiser for a rest. Good shooting - took loads.

RTD