Mobile Internet

MC

I am thinking of relocating at the moment and initially the place I am thinking of going will have no access to a landline.

What are the options for mobile internet that actually work? Is it possible for me to use my laptop via an iphone for sending and receiving e mails and files up to around 10 meg?

Or would I be better off with a Vodafone or similar mobile internet dongle?

Im sure someone who knows a bit more than me will be along shortly, Billy proberbly the best answering this, but I have my lappy teathered to my iPhone when I'm on the move. Its OK regardless of the file size your wanting to send receive, its all to do with the speed at which you want to send/receive at. If I drop out fo a 3G area its hopeless. The same applies to iPhone and the dongle types. So really the qestion is - is the area your thinking of moving to covered by a good 3G signal. Not sure how to check other than going there.

Tethering to a mobile device can work, but it eats battery like mad and I find that the connection isn't always that fast.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the giffgaff deal that's going on, which runs on the O2 network. They have unlimited data on all tariffs above £10 a month which is a blinding deal.

Just buy an o2 dongle off eBay and order the sim card from their site.

Tethering charges are pretty extortionate, so I'd avoid those, unless you're willing to pay out.

As 4eyes says, the signal coverage is everything. You simply must have a good 3G signal or you will struggle. I have a mobile dongle provided by work. With a good signal I can use the Cisco IP phone, Net Meeting or Webex, and Lotus Notes all at the same time over a VPN connection to the company network. Without 3G I can barely log on to the VPN.

You need to take a phone with you and test the signal when looking at prospective relocation sites.

MC,

I think that I have done a lot of your work for you on this one :rolleyes:

We were having broadband problems at work so I looked into all the USB dongles. I needed one that would work at the office and at Mersea in case we used it there.

Orange were the only ones that had a semi reasonable coverage of that area. If you buy a dongle you have about 14 days cooling off period to say that it doesnt work anyway. Our dongle is "unlimited" although in reality they are. I pay £20.00 a month for a 24 month contract.

We get about 1.5 MEG download speed at the office which is enough for 3 people to browse the net and get emails via a USB port on our router.

You spend most of your weekdays on Facebook, Pigeonwatch, out pigeon shooting or fishing - why are you worried about broadband connection when you can do all that from your phone ? :P

Edited by ME

Near Hastings

Some nice places in sussex but most of what i seen was like an old folks retirement county. :blink:

The average age seems alot higher than elsewhere.

Should be some good shooting to be had,lovely countryside. :good:

ATB figgy

Tethering to a mobile device can work, but it eats battery like mad and I find that the connection isn't always that fast.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the giffgaff deal that's going on, which runs on the O2 network. They have unlimited data on all tariffs above £10 a month which is a blinding deal.

Just buy an o2 dongle off eBay and order the sim card from their site.

Tethering charges are pretty extortionate, so I'd avoid those, unless you're willing to pay out.

I just read the giffgaff site and it says no tethering and no dongles.

No idea how they can tell, but that's what it says.

I have a "3" mobile wireless dongle, 15GB for £20/month. Very happy with it. 1.5-3MB average but I have had much faster in good areas. Wireless means in weak signal areas you can position it in a good spot without having to sit on top of the wardrobe with your laptop.