Overpaid HMRC now they wont give it back

ME

My company ended up overpaying some PAYE to HMRC. HMRC have sent a letter confirming that they owe us about £3k in overpayment. This was from the tax year 2009-2010.

When I paid the corporation tax I asked the accountant if I could deduct what they owe me from what I owe them and I was told that I couldnt. I was also told that a client of theirs did that and HMRC got the bailiffs on him :blink:

The long and short is that another financial year has now passed and HMRC still owe me money.

My accountants say that they have been chasing but dont want to rock the boat. HMRC keep promising that they are "looking at it" and dont worry when we do get it there will be "interest on it".

I am really not sure if this delay is due to HMRC or my accountants being flakey. Should I go round my accountants and start chasing HMRC directly ?

Question is, how do I get my money back without kicking up with HMRC and getting myself a tax inspection ? I have nothing to worry about having an inspection, I just dont want the grief of it and no one in their right mind wants to be on HMRCs radar if they can avoid it.

Edited by ME

HMRC owe me £4k as an over payment on my last on account payment (if that makes any sense).

Relax, you fight the system and they will get you back.

Besides, by the time they get round to giving it back to you, you will owe them again.

It's life.

It is from well over a year ago. I might owe them at some point but I am told that I cant contra it though.

Edited by ME

Chasing HMRC for money they owe you will not rock the boat, put you on their radar or cause a tax investigation. HMRC are not keen on making repayments at the moment, but they will do if pushed. If your accountant won't give you a proper answer ring HMRC direct and ask them. As a starting point, I would call the person who wrote the letter confirming that you have overpaid, and ask them to make the refund, their name and number will be on the letter. You will at least find out if your accountant is being straight with you!

Although HMRC will pay interest when you finally get your repayment, the rate is 0.5%!

Things must have changes since last year then, I overpaid by 1k, they refunded me within a matter of months, which I promptly spunked on a new rifle, scope and mod (don't tell my dearest :yp:).

I reckon they're deliberately being very slow this year, but it can't hurt to call them directly, just be calm and polite.

I called HMRC directly on Friday.

Turns out that they still have my old accountants on record as my agent. They are also still awaiting info from my current accountants. <_<

If HMRC still have you old accountant registered as agent, there is no way that they would have discussed your affairs with your new accountant.

The only way your new accountant could be registered as your agent is by you signing a form called a 64-8.

Sounds like you have been strung along by your accountant, and they haven't actually done anything about getting your refund repaid. Hopefully, you haven't been paying them for this work?