Touching up birds

dead-eye-dick

Being as I have no roost shooting, (not allowed on my land)

I am forced to continue decoying, I have read in the past that when times are hard, arn't they always,

that "high-lighting" the white patchs on decoys neck and wing bands will make them more appelling.

I have some older decoys and some cheap "patten fillers" aswell as the high detail flocked shells,

Do you think it is worth high-lighting some of them with a matt paint, as the white has almost rubbed off ??

Is it succesfull ?? :what:  :what:  :what:

:)  :/ About this time of the year my mate says MY DEEKS COULD DO WITH A COAT OF PINT.

What I use is masonary paint the girtty sort. Using black and white ,a light gey for all the body then a deeper shade for the wings, black tip an the tail and then to fnish white dabs on the collar and a white line on either wing. You will find that it will be trial and error finding the right shades, best to wait untill dry before checking its right.

The grittyness of the paint will prevent them from shineing. Give it a try.

:/  :thumbs:  :/  :/

:/  :D  :(  :)

On one or two of my older deeks I have repainted just the white neck ring and wing bars, the rest of the shell being grey, and they work as well as anything else. I know a chap whos decoys are made of grey guttering cut to shape and just a splash of white paint on the neck, and he regularly comes home with quite large bags. I think pigeons will investigate anything that looks remotely like one of their own, and lets face it, we only need to get them in range. I will say though that as soon as I've got four or five dead birds I set them up in cradles and pull in the plastic decoys. The best decoy you can get is a dead bird.

:thumbs: An answer to daviddjlloyd.

When Lloydy says that it is about this time of year that my deeks could do with a coat of "pint", he doesn,t mention that it has been "this time of year for the last 12 months,and they are still waiting for a paint job".

When he does get the paint brush out ,he does a great job even though they always come back one short!! Still as a professional painter they should be good.

One poimt about the white flashes on neck and wings, I have read many times that the woodies use this as a signal of danger to their mates and this is why it is not recommended to put too many fresh birds out with their wings outstretched,as the wing bars indicate that the pigeon is either landing or taking off and birds will avoid it.

:D  :(