Bad times

roadkill

Looks like the time has come to hang up my gear before the health of my ears decline any more , It started about two weeks ago when i noticed a horrible ringing noise from my right ear after a weekend of no sleep and i mean no sleep i went to see the doctor on the Monday morning. After a quick check up she said that my right ear was packed with wax so much that she could not see my ear drum . I was given drops to apply for seven days then i was in for a wash out . The next seven days were hell the noise got so loud it was unreal this was due to the drops swelling the wax and making my right ear deaf. Then yesterday i was back at the doctors for a syringing session god was it nice to hear again and i almost thought that the ringing had gone but it was still there just not so loud . So it looks like i have to life with this new sound and get use to my 2 hours a night sleep if im lucky. But i have been thinking about shooting and even though i protect my ears i don't even want to risk it any more and have this worsen to a even louder ring.

So over the next few weeks i will be having a clear out of all my rifles , shotgun lamps calls and whatever other gear i have lying around.

The only good news i have at the end of this is that i have decided to replace my shooting with fishing.

Hey fella, I have a problem with wax build up and often when I have a hot shower it seems to soften the wax and I have muted hearing. After a week of using Earax (or whatever) and then down to the nurse to have it washed out I too have the ringing in my ears for a few days but then it passes ;) The quack told me its perfectly normal due to the slight inflammation that the eardrops give.

Unless the quack has actually diagnosed a problem you should be back out shooting by the weekend ;) Chin up :good:

Hey fella, I have a problem with wax build up and often when I have a hot shower it seems to soften the wax and I have muted hearing. After a week of using Earax (or whatever) and then down to the nurse to have it washed out I too have the ringing in my ears for a few days but then it passes ;) The quack told me its perfectly normal due to the slight inflammation that the eardrops give.

Unless the quack has actually diagnosed a problem you should be back out shooting by the weekend ;) Chin up :good:

nothing diagnosed yet and reading your comment gives me hope , i am booking back into the quacks to see where we go from here but god its not fun , it has put the fear of god into me

I have lived with ringing in my ears (Tinnutus) for over 35 years. This was caused by using a shotgun without hearing protection, when I was younger. It's not too loud, although I can always hear it, especially when the room I'm in is quiet, or when I get a head cold.

There is no cure for this problem, and I've learned to live with it.

I have lived with ringing in my ears (Tinnutus) for over 35 years. This was caused by using a shotgun without hearing protection, when I was younger. It's not too loud, although I can always hear it, especially when the room I'm in is quiet, or when I get a head cold.

There is no cure for this problem, and I've learned to live with it.

:stupid:

Mine ring all the time, especially the right ear! It is ear damage from shooting at a young age, and using allsorts of air tools with out ear defenders. Never see me with out some form of ear protection these days. I also have learnt to live with it as I have no choice.

When the going gets tough, the not so tough sell their guns…… :D:P

TEH

I think I suffer from tinnitus too (never been to doc with it) and it's worse in my left ear. It's something that I used to get occassionally after really loud gigs, but as I've got older it got longer to recede and now it's permanent :oops:.

It varies from a dingggggggggg to a horrible Woooooooooooooo depending on how run down I feel. One time I had raging sinusitis (spelling?) and I felt as though my head was going to explode with the combined bunged up, headache and ringing :o . I had to sleep with the radio on to try and mask some of the ringing.

I always wear hearing protection when I'm shooting, but I never did as a drummer - Still don't at gigs I go to watch, which is probably just as stupid.

Look, your body will get used to it and at times you'll subconciously blank it out altogether. Just keep wearing good defenders and carry on shooting :good:

I have slight tinnitus too and recently found out that my dad also has it (more dodgy genes he's

passed down with the varicose veins and the rest of it :blink: ).

He's never been involved with any sort of job, sport or activity that involves exposure to

loud noises so I reckon it's a hereditary thing. I do still try to wear the best ear

protection I can when out shooting though.

Nial.

Ive had tinnitus for over 40 years , started early 20's playing in pop bands for 12 years. you learn to live with it, try to ignore it and listen "through" it, i'm guilty of shooting without proper ear protection and age has increased the tinnitus, now also suffering from hearing loss and need hearing aids now and then,more often than i like to admit.

With some quality hearing protection I dont think there is a need to quit, cant repair it if its permanent damage but you can protect from it getting any worse!

Know what you mean about the ringing when trying to sleep, there are things on the market to help, pillows that play soft music and the like , a quiet night is the worse night as your auto hearing volume selects the only noise it hears no matter how quiet the ringing is, try a little soft music.

I hope your condition is temporary good luck.

I suffer from Tinitus in both ears, unprotected shooting from an early age, live rock bands and 13 years working in a Power station on the boilers..... funnily enough , while at the Power station i took part in a series of hearing tests over the years and my hearing did not suffer too much.... just the bloody ringing !

I've had it for 35 years.. sometimes it's really annoying, but mostly you just get used to it.

Get your ears checked, but if it's tinitus , you've got it for life... it wont get worse if you wear proper ear protection when shooting.

There is a device which you wear like a hearing aid which emits 'white noise' which is supposed to cancel the ringing sensation you get.... i've never tried it though.

Don't give up shooting, you'll regret it !

Dave

I have had tinnitus for over 25years. And the cause,my own fault when i used to shoot fullbore pistols. Shooting a 45 ACP in the range booth with no hearing protection. Just 2 mags but enough to damage my hearing. TBH its not really that bad and you learn to live with it but i always now make sure i have my hearing protection whenever i go shooting now. A bit little too late now though :blush:

ATB Pat

I think they should call this shooters ear, I also have the same problem of a dull ringing sound in my ears caused by shooting without ear protection and machinery when I was younger. At the moment I have an ear infection which has given me Glue ear and now Im deaf on my left.

Im not giving up, just wear better ear protection now, fishing may not be the answer, I do a lot and it always sounds louder in the quiet of river or lake :unsure:

thanks all for the comments , its been over two weeks now and im starting to get use to it , so im hoping im out of the dark doom and gloom . The worst part is the lack of sleep its really messed with my system and working nights don't help . I'm lucky if im getting two hours sleep in a day . After feeling a little chirpy again now that the sun is out i think if i did quit shooting it would be a bad move . What i need now chaps is good advice on some decent hearing protection. to protect my ears for the next 30 years

Many thanks again

jamie

thanks all for the comments , its been over two weeks now and im starting to get use to it , so im hoping im out of the dark doom and gloom . The worst part is the lack of sleep its really messed with my system and working nights don't help . I'm lucky if im getting two hours sleep in a day . After feeling a little chirpy again now that the sun is out i think if i did quit shooting it would be a bad move . What i need now chaps is good advice on some decent hearing protection. to protect my ears for the next 30 years

Many thanks again

jamie

I have found that the best way to protect my ears from further damage these days is to use the foam ear plugs which you squeeze to a point insert in the ear and they expand to their original shape and completely drown out any external noise. They are cheap as chips and available at most plant hire outlets.

I would go fishing as well as continuing the shooting :good:

I think that if many of us went out shooting less frequently and combined it with another sporting passtime we would enjoy the Countryside and our shooting trips much more when they do come round. I certainly do....10,000 pigeons on the local stubble field wouldnt stop me from a weekends tench fishing in the summer :lol:

One of my ex colleagues goes Pigeon shooting in the same area 2 sometimes three times a week.. his last 12 trips have yeilded 26 Pigeons and he got 7 of them on one day.! I have persuaded him to come tench fishing with me in June and to help me with my first BTO breeding survey of the year in April.

Hes in danger of becoming a Pigeon shooting brain dead lardy and I have to save him :yes: