spice rack

PAULT

forgot Bay leaves from that list.

I cooked a pretty good Chicken Biriani for Stealth Stalker and his misses last week, and have a pretty mean recipe for a chilli coriander chutney (make in 10 mins) to eat with poppadoms, i'll post it when i get back if you want.

Pretty comprehensive list from Nickbeardo :good: but if you also add onion seeds, mustard seeds, corriander seeds, fenugreek and ground corriander to your list, you will have enough for most curries, side orders and breads.

Also, we always have tinned coconut milk in so we can do south Indian curries.

Pretty comprehensive list from Nickbeardo :good: but if you also add onion seeds, mustard seeds, corriander seeds, fenugreek and ground corriander to your list, you will have enough for most curries, side orders and breads.

And a little build, nickbeardo already had cumin, but I'd add cumin seeds as well. The smell and taste of a few roasted seeds to start of the cooking is amazing. I really fancy a curry tonight now

Maybe you have noticed, but in case you haven't, most supermarkets have a shelf of Polish and other foriegn foods, usually on that shelf you will find bags of spices. They are just as good if not better than the pots of stuff with all the other herbs and spices, loads cheaper too.

Would be grateful of any recipes aswell thanx

This will make a typical "Take-away" korma Rabbit or Chicken. Making actual curry takes no time at all, the time is taken making the basic curry sauce.

First you need to make a basic curry sauce;

Basic curry sauce:

450 g onions (Spanish)

25g fresh ginger

25g garlic

1ltr of water

1 tsp salt

¼ cup of vegetable oil

1 tsp tomato puree

1tsp turmeric

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp cumin powder

½ tablespoon garam masala

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

25 g of creamed coconut

1 x green pepper

Heat oil add onions, garlic, ginger and cook until onions are soft

Add everything else and simmer for 1 hour, skimming off all the froth.

Put the whole lot in to a blender and blend until perfectly smooth, its got to be perfectly smooth!

1 rabbit/chicken deboned and cubed

4 tbsp oil

3 cups of basic curry sauce

½ cup of ground mixed nuts (I use almonds and cashew nuts)

Hand full of whole (shelled) cashew nuts

1 ½ tsp of salt (again I use sea salt)

½ tsp garam masala

1tsp ground cumin

150ml of thick double cream

½ tin of coconut milk

1 block of dried coconut

¼ tsp of yellow food colouring of you can use turmeric

Fresh green coriander to garnish

This is quick, which is why the take away can make so many curries in such a short time.

Heat oil and fry off rabbit until cooked. Do not turn down heat, add curry sauce, bring to boil and add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the cream. Cook for 10 mins, turn heat down add the cream and cook for another 3 mins.

Serve with boiled rice, but add to your rice 2 x bay leafs, salt and three cloves.

John

Edited by Hunter_zero

• 4 weeks later...

With the eastern and oriental herbs I keep some Australian herbs,I met a Ausi pioneer a few years go called vic cherikof who has a great range of different herbs I still use such as lemon mertyle rub and wattle seed And groud bush tomato,have BBQ meat in his bark paper ,aus is a great melting pot for food and his range of spices and commodities is very interesting check out his web site ,sainsburys did stock ome of his products :yes: