Best Smartphone

TomV

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had numerous blackberry's - bold, curve, pearl, storm...and I fought off the iphone wave for as long as I could telling everyone "I don't need an iphone, I have a blackberry"...

then my wife got one, and I said how the BB was better...then one night after she went to bed i got addicted to "apps" on it and the swipe/slash screen and bought a 3GS....

I've never looked back... :blush:

Infact i used my BB storm as a second phone when i was overseas a few weeks ago and it made me laugh how glitchy and awkward it was compared to the Iphone...

although the camera's are better on the blackberry's...

regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Iphones ok but limits you like cannot blue tooth files to other phones, or you could not when i had one. One big plus on my HTC is the ability to tether to my laptop when away. i know you can with an iphone but again you used to have to pay for another data contract, a but with the Desire you can actually use it as a portable wireless hotspot so do not even need a lead to connect. I know not so many apps at moment but this is getting better all the time.

it will be for work i.e. emails as well hence why I was thinking about a blackberry.

Ive found a deal for an i phone 4, 12 month contract for £30 a month and £99 for the phone. 300 minutes 5000 texts and 500gb data. sounds good for my usage.

it will be for work i.e. emails as well hence why I was thinking about a blackberry.

Ive found a deal for an i phone 4, 12 month contract for £30 a month and £99 for the phone. 300 minutes 5000 texts and 500gb data. sounds good for my usage.

One advantage of the blackberry is that I get ~5 days on a charge (Bold).

It's not as good a smart phone as the rest though.

Nial.

iPhone all the way, blackberries are for business users and people who are clueless about technology (mainly lasses) that get taken advantage of by phone salesmen getting rid of the rubbish left in store. :oops::lol: If you can keep your rocket in your pocket wait for iPhone 5 in the summer :good:

Mark

Edited by Breastman

Apart from the slight oversight with the external antennae and subsequent death grip ;) But yes, solid unit.

Antenna issue was sorted on second and subsequent batches out of the factory. If you hold pretty much any phone the way you had to to get the signal drop out with the iPhone, the same would happen. I have never had any issues with signal with mine.

One other thing against the iphone compared to other smartphones is that you cannot easily replace the battery or change/upgrade memory cards.

If the battery needs replacing within the contract period (i.e. before upgrade time) there is a problem with the unit and should be a warranty jobby! As for memory, I agree, would be great if the iPhone had a micro SD card slot but I have the 32GB version and have 3,000 ish music tracks, a few hours of HD vid and a couple of movies and still have 7GB to play with.

It is rumoured that the iPhone 5 will in fact not be an upgrade to the 4 but a platform specific unit designed to work with propietary systems on specific networks, similar to the Verizon iPhone released in the states, it sort of is but isn't an upgrade. It is also rumoured that when the true upgrade for the 4 comes around, Apple will be looking at upping internal memory to 128 Gig :drool: At that point, having the ability to swap memory cards out will become moot! 128gb would allow me to dump all of my 80+gb music library onto it plus a shed load of other stuff AND still leave bags of space!

If the battery needs replacing within the contract period (i.e. before upgrade time) there is a problem with the unit and should be a warranty jobby! As for memory, I agree, would be great if the iPhone had a micro SD card slot but I have the 32GB version and have 3,000 ish music tracks, a few hours of HD vid and a couple of movies and still have 7GB to play with.

It is rumoured that the iPhone 5 will in fact not be an upgrade to the 4 but a platform specific unit designed to work with propietary systems on specific networks, similar to the Verizon iPhone released in the states, it sort of is but isn't an upgrade. It is also rumoured that when the true upgrade for the 4 comes around, Apple will be looking at upping internal memory to 128 Gig :drool: At that point, having the ability to swap memory cards out will become moot! 128gb would allow me to dump all of my 80+gb music library onto it plus a shed load of other stuff AND still leave bags of space!

Will keep a look out for that one I'm not against apple as i have a macbook and two ipods ( new shuffle and classic ) but just prefer other phones. If the iphone 5 rectifies the problems i have with the 4 then would def' consider one. :good:

it all depends what you want to do with it and pay, I've got a Blackberry Torch and it does what I need. Email function is dead simple it works well as a phone and cost me nothing on an 18 month contract and is something like £21.50 a month plus vat on vodafone

looked at I phones and really the costs are in a different league

One other thing against the iphone compared to other smartphones is that you cannot easily replace the battery or change/upgrade memory cards.

You'll find that this is a space saving technique. Clips, battery holders and detachable covers all take up valuable space.

I honestly can't remember the last time I dropped a phone and it smashed into a million bits on the floor.

Also, you would buy a smartphone knowing the capacity and that it was enough for your needs. I'm not going to buy an 8GB iPhone if I have 20GB of music.

If you have an issue with the battery, Apple will fix it under warranty or for a fee after the year is up.

it all depends what you want to do with it and pay, I've got a Blackberry Torch and it does what I need. Email function is dead simple it works well as a phone and cost me nothing on an 18 month contract and is something like £21.50 a month plus vat on vodafone

looked at I phones and really the costs are in a different league

agree, not cheap but my iPhone has replaced almost every other gadget I own! I rarely even get my laptop out in client meetings any more as my iPhone can do what I need faster and simpler, I have a scanner app that acts like a photocopier even converting to pdf, never get the camcorder or camera out any more as the iphone does a more than adequate job for most circumstances, I have mil spec ballistics calculators in there, loads of excellent games (I never was a portable gamer until i got the iPhone) it keeps tabs on all social networking sites (if you are into that kind of thing,) surfing the web is a pleasure (unless you hit a site using flash then it doesn't work!) I just love it... even down to the spirit level!!!

My only real gripe with it is the bluetooth file & data sharing. I have a very expensive Kestrel weather meter(with BT) and some very sophisticated ballistics software on the iPhone. I spoke to the developers and they told me it would be a simple job to get the atmospheric data via BT and to squirt it directly into the software for true localised atmospheric adjustments BUT.... Apple, in thier infinite wisdom will not allow any app to communicate via BT apart from hands free and music!!! how short sighted is that!!!

It is also rumoured that when the true upgrade for the 4 comes around, Apple will be looking at upping internal memory to 128 Gig :drool: At that point, having the ability to swap memory cards out will become moot! 128gb would allow me to dump all of my 80+gb music library onto it plus a shed load of other stuff AND still leave bags of space!

A 64GB iPhone was found floating around the Asian Grey Market. I think that between the iPad 2 launch and the iPhone 5 there's just not enough time to squeeze 128GB inside, especially as the iPad 2 has a maximum capacity of 64GB. If they were to put 128GB in anything, it would have been the iPad 2.

What you may be more interested in is the massive datacentre which Apple has just finished building. The expected update to MobileMe is that they will introduce cloud iTunes which will allow you to have access to your entire iTunes library, regardless of the size, from the cloud. This would reportedly allow a cheaper version of the iPhone which uses less memory as it's constantly downloading music rather than storing it.

It'd no longer be a case of 'I've got no space left' it'd just be having to find a way to get a massive data allowance from your mobile operator.