Best Smartphone

TomV

is any one else not keen on keeping their data in a cloud?

Cloud computing is safe.

Your data is always stored on a local machine (your computer) which communicates with 'the cloud' which in turn communicates with your phone.

MobileMe does it magically for me:

If I add a phone number to my iPhone, add a meeting or something to the calendar or receive an important email, all of this is synced with the MobileMe cloud, so when I open my laptop at home it's instantly downloaded and added to my calendars, inbox and address book.

If you can find fault with the above, I will be astounded.

Oh and MobileMe is home to Find My iPhone. The God button in terms of mobile phones :yes:

Edited by Billy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloud computing is safe.

Your data is always stored on a local machine (your computer) which communicates with 'the cloud' which in turn communicates with your phone.

MobileMe does it magically for me:

If I add a phone number to my iPhone, add a meeting or something to the calendar or receive an important email, all of this is synced with the MobileMe cloud, so when I open my laptop at home it's instantly downloaded and added to my calendars, inbox and address book.

If you can find fault with the above, I will be astounded.

Oh and MobileMe is home to Find My iPhone. The God button in terms of mobile phones :yes:

the fault is that data has been lost before and maybe i dont want to share my calendar and entire email and telephone contacts with a company like google etc.

entire email

Who is your email account with?

The point is that you physically can't lose something from the cloud. If you put a phone number in your iPhone and then have it stolen, when you get home it will be on your computer.

It acts as a gateway to access files that would be usually inaccessible. You're not saying "Here Apple, take my entire iTunes library and look after it"

Edited by Billy.

doesnt matter as they dont have my contacts list. i am aware that email isnt secure.

No I was saying that if you're saying "I don't want my emails shared with Google" it's a ridiculos statement, as some company somewhere has to look after your emails.

If your contacts were that precious, they'd not be on your phone.

Who is your email account with?

The point is that you physically can't lose something from the cloud. If you put a phone number in your iPhone and then have it stolen, when you get home it will be on your computer.

It acts as a gateway to access files that would be usually inaccessible. You're not saying "Here Apple, take my entire iTunes library and look after it"

if i asked you to send me an email with all your contacts and telephone numbers, would you send it?

if i asked you to send me an email with all your contacts and telephone numbers, would you send it?

That's about as stupid as saying

"If you're willing to do online banking, then you're willing to send everyone your bank details."

Just because my contacts are sent securely over the internet doesn't mean that they're free to be handed round to the public.

That's about as stupid as saying

"If you're willing to do online banking, then you're willing to send everyone your bank details."

Just because my contacts are sent securely over the internet doesn't mean that they're free to be handed round to the public.

ok, being more sensible. would you be happy with google having access to all your info?

ok, being more sensible. would you be happy with google having access to all your info?

They do. I have a Gmail account, Google docs and calendar set up. Along with that, I have a Google Checkout account, which has all my bank account information. Oh and I have my web analytics account with Google and also, Google pays me money through my Adsense account. Not much, £1 a day, but it all adds up :)

Believe me, I'd be more fussed sending someone my Gmail account than my contacts. So in essence, I trust Google with my life.

Edit... Ooo and another.. I have a YouTube account - Google owned.

Edited by Billy.

They do. I have a Gmail account, Google docs and calendar set up. Along with that, I have a Google Checkout account, which has all my bank account information. Oh and I have my web analytics account with Google and also, Google pays me money through my Adsense account. Not much, £1 a day, but it all adds up :)

Believe me, I'd be more fussed sending someone my Gmail account than my contacts. So in essence, I trust Google with my life.

Edit... Ooo and another.. I have a YouTube account - Google owned.

ok. i just read a few articles saying that google was a bit dodgy regarding privacy issues.

ok. i just read a few articles saying that google was a bit dodgy regarding privacy issues.

Keep in mind that with the number of accounts held with Google, someone's going to have a bad experience. I'm not jumping to Google's defence here, as I'm not a Google Fanboi, but I bet you that those complaining about privacy issues were actually down to user error.

That being said, Google did accidentally delete 50,000 Gmail accounts the other week, but they were all recovered.

So, from what you say, you don't even have an account with them... Just a biased view.

HHHHHAAAANNNGGGGGG OOOOONNNNNNN **Massive double take moment**

You had an HTC phone. Which runs on the Android platform. A product of Google. So you can absolutely sod off about keeping your contacts with Google, as you have held your contacts on a Google product.

Edited by Billy.

Keep in mind that with the number of accounts held with Google, someone's going to have a bad experience. I'm not jumping to Google's defence here, as I'm not a Google Fanboi, but I bet you that those complaining about privacy issues were actually down to user error.

That being said, Google did accidentally delete 50,000 Gmail accounts the other week, but they were all recovered.

So, from what you say, you don't even have an account with them... Just a biased view.

HHHHHAAAANNNGGGGGG OOOOONNNNNNN **Massive double take moment**

You had an HTC phone. Which runs on the Android platform. A product of Google. So you can absolutely sod off about keeping your contacts with Google, as you have held your contacts on a Google product.

i do have a gmail account for junk mail and forum registration.

my current htc is a hd2 which runs windows mobile, i just returned a htc hd7 which ran windows 7 because it wouldnt sync with outlook and wanted to upload all my contacts to hotmail.

i have nothing against google, i would rather keep my infomation to myself.

i just find it weird that people are happy to give all this infomation to companies who are just going to abuse it to make money.

Edited by artschool

i just find it weird that people are happy to give all this infomation to companies who are just going to abuse it to make money.

I stand corrected about the HTC, sorry :blush:

I'm intrigued though, as there is just no possible way that a company like Google or Apple would steal people's phone numbers from accounts.

Remember the last privacy issue with Google? When they collected Wifi info whilst doing the StreetView runs? Just because they collected SSID's and potentially some files being shared on open networks, they got in loads of trouble.

If they were exploiting accounts before that, you can bet they're not doing that now.

I stand corrected about the HTC, sorry :blush:

I'm intrigued though, as there is just no possible way that a company like Google or Apple would steal people's phone numbers from accounts.

Remember the last privacy issue with Google? When they collected Wifi info whilst doing the StreetView runs? Just because they collected SSID's and potentially some files being shared on open networks, they got in loads of trouble.

If they were exploiting accounts before that, you can bet they're not doing that now.

the wifi thing was blown out of proportion, and if you are going to leave your router open then its tough luck.

its not the theft, its the data mining aspect that bothers me.

the only reason i am narked about it today is that i am annoyed the hd7 wouldnt sync with outlook :/

stuck in my ways i guess :lol:

iphone have used most smart phones and it wins imo, the iphone4 is great plus according to an article on the register someone dropped one from 1000ft accidentally and it survived... it did land in a wood full of pine needles...

Plus the retina display is ace!

As for e-mails etc on a work scale the iphone must be on par with bb etc as land rover and a few finance companies have been giving them out instead of bb's.

For me the i phone is the dogs danglies ive been using them since the first 3g came out on o2,my wife is still using that first i phone 3g i got, its getting a bit old and grumpy now but still working and after the hammering its had it goes on and on working not many phones do that these days :yes::good: :good:

ATB figgy

I Phone 4, I work in IT and have nothing but problems with Blackberry's.

Iphones work seamlessly with exchange, and personal pop accounts, battery life is excellent and the apps for them are second to none.

Not the cheapest out there, but then again you get what you pay for.

I have used iPhone for donkeys, iPhone, iPhone 3GS and now iPhone 4.

I work in a corporate environment( architecture) even though I live on a farm and out lass farms over 3000 acres...

As far as I'm concerned the iPhone is the dogs dangleys!! Never would have owt else

messed around with a few of the chaps phones at work ( iphone4 htc desire and the htc wildfire ) just before christmas i ended up getting the htc wildfire paid £130 new on payg liked it that much i bought her indoors one as well :good:

+1 they are spot on :good: