Bees

reddan

Recently we have found a number of bees that appear to be dead on the window sill of my young daughter room. Windows don't get opened very often (daughters is a climber) so they can't have got in from there.

Not 100% sure they were dead but they look really young. Don't know much about bees does it sound like there is a nest somewhere or am i worrying about nothing?

The look like the have a round smooth bum if that helps id at all.

Dan

Sound more like hover flies to me. Google it for a pic.

Completely harmless and were trying to get out.

Looked at some pictures online and not convinced. It would have helped if I took a picture of them I guess. They reminded me of small honey bees but i can't find a picture of them either, of course if they turn out to be hover flies I will feel like a plum.

Dan

No need to feel like a plum, they look very similar.

I might struggle to tell the difference myself sometimes. Easiest way to tell them apart is that hover flies hover and make a very different buzzing noise.

Neither of which are much help when they are dead.

There has been a lot of hover flies around lately as the warm weather brings them back to life after hibernation. I haven't seen any honey bees at all yet, plenty of bumble bees, but I'm reckoning you will know what they look like.

Could be Mason Bees? They're quite small.

I think we have a winner having just seen a picture online. Cheers :good:

What is a bit of a worry is this extract from wikipedia:-

They are named from their habit of making compartments of mud in their nests, which are made in hollow reeds or holes in wood made by wood boring insects.

:blink:

Dan

What type of lights have you got? I had about a dozen wasps dead in a corner of a room, the only way I could think they came from was through the edges of the halogen lights.

Normal energy saving bulbs. My latest theory is that they have come through the trickle vent of the window.

Dan

I think we have a winner having just seen a picture online. Cheers :good:

What is a bit of a worry is this extract from wikipedia:-

They are named from their habit of making compartments of mud in their nests, which are made in hollow reeds or holes in wood made by wood boring insects.

:blink:

Dan

Not really a worry, mason bees are solitary bees, they don't swarm and rarely sting.

I have loads of red and blue mason bees on my land, heres a pic of the red mason bee

Bee_Large_Zoom.jpg