EYE-EYE

sureshooter

Hi all,just looking for some sound advise regarding the best way to sight and aim at woodies..as a newbie to this game i tend to aim a shotgun the same way as i would when shooting a rifle with one eye closed..i have been told to keep both eyes open,but find it difficult to aim that way.. i would like to hear any advise from more experienced shooters out there...cheers...

Hi all,just looking for some sound advise regarding the best way to sight and aim at woodies..as a newbie to this game i tend to aim a shotgun the same way as i would when shooting a rifle with one eye closed..i have been told to keep both eyes open,but find it difficult to aim that way.. i would like to hear any advise from more experienced shooters out there...cheers...

i have to close my left eye being right handed.. would be the right eye if your left handed.. when shooting at clays or pigeons due to a master left eye if i open both all i can see is the side of the barrel.

the way i go round it is close the left eye and look at and focus on the target not the rib and bead just as you would when shooting with both eyes open. it works for me, but understand it might not for you it will take some practice but give it a try and see if it works.

Edited by yickdaz

i have a the same problem so what i do is , mount the gun with both eyes open and just before i pull the triger i close my left eye. this works for me. i know its wrong but its what suits that matters. being a rifle man for fourty years doesnt help matters. kev

i have a the same problem so what i do is , mount the gun with both eyes open and just before i pull the triger i close my left eye. this works for me. i know its wrong but its what suits that matters. being a rifle man for fourty years doesnt help matters. kev

I have never had a problem shooting rifles,i am right handed but shoot left handed and it feels more easy to me,i will be trying the different ideas posted ,and thanks a load for all the advise...

i have the same problem, shoot left handed but right eye dominant, closing one eye will restrict your distance judgement, you need both eyes open to mentally judge the position and distance of your choosen shot.

Easy hit is the answer to all your problems, i have fitted one and they work, It convinces your brain your other eye is the dominant eye. Soon you will be shooting with both eyes open, i wish i had fitted one years ago.

I have never had a problem shooting rifles,i am right handed but shoot left handed and it feels more easy to me,i will be trying the different ideas posted ,and thanks a load for all the advise...

"easy hit"whats this please,and do you have a pic with this fitted...

Aim with a rifle point with a shotgun was the way i was taught and seen in print, both eyes open for shotgun is the usual but many close one eye with no problem.

I shot rifles for years before a shotgun and had trouble with keeping both eyes open for shotgun, It took some practise but I found it better with both eyes open for rangeing and selection of shot when multiple birds decoy in.

Hi there Easyhits a lite-pipe flouro sight,fits on the front of the rib costs about £30,I have (middle vision)Eg no eye dominance,it tricks your vision,making your correct eye dominant,eg rh shooter rh master eye,most shooting schools have guns fitted with them.have a go see if it helps.

With you on that one - life long rifleman engaging the shooting at long last after years of denial.

I find a truglo bead helps massively - its so blatant that you don't look for the bead at all, but focus on the target.

Cracking :D

Also, I found squinting the left eye a touch helped too.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, but now I'm hitting the mark, when I wasn't before.

Good luck and enjoy!

Duncan

PS - Oddly enough, I have no probs shooting scoped rifles with both eyes open and 'switch' the eye I'm focussing with as required.

Edited by The Duncan

Its been weird for me if have been shotgun shooting now for about a year and rifle shooting for about 10. i was taught to keep both eyes open and honestly had no problem and was smashing clays and killing pigeons usually on a 1 in 2 ratio but all in the last 3 months has gone really downhill ive not been able to shoot a thing and with it being so hard at the minute to find and decoy birds on the land we can shoot i want to be killing the ones that come close enough. so me and my brother was out on monday and everything was slow and i once again missed a couple of what should have been easy birds so we got the clay trap out, this was so frustating i missed 19 out of the first 20 so said im going to close my left eye (im right handed) out went another 40 and shoot 37 of them. really confused me how this could happen. Can anyone shed any light on this do you think i need to go to the opticions.

James