Jill jabs

jmilam

Alrite lads,iv just come back from a trip to the vets with one of my jills.

Iv just paid 60 pound to have her injected to bring her out of season,I couldn't beleive how dear it was,especially when on the phone she said she can't see it being dearer than 40 pound.

Iv stil got one more who ain't in yet,Definitly gana try and use a vasectomised hob on her,

the point of the post is really just to see how much anyone elses vets are charging,I can't help feeling I'm having my pants pulled down!!

Alrite lads,iv just come back from a trip to the vets with one of my jills.

Iv just paid 60 pound to have her injected to bring her out of season,I couldn't beleive how dear it was,especially when on the phone she said she can't see it being dearer than 40 pound.

Iv stil got one more who ain't in yet,Definitly gana try and use a vasectomised hob on her,

the point of the post is really just to see how much anyone elses vets are charging,I can't help feeling I'm having my pants pulled down!!

you want to change your vet mate pay ya to phone around a bit be suprised how prices vary only costing me 60 to versectermize my hob

The problem we have are the government rules. The Veterinary Medicines Directorate used to leave vets to it and so a multi dose bottle may be open a little while. We now can't use a bottle more than 28 days after it was opened even if it's use by date is three years away.

The Delvosteron was used as an alternative to spaying bitches and given every 5 month to stop her coming into season. Most practices use the product very little so we have 2 options,

2. charge the whole bottle to the client and throw away the rest
  3. Sell 1 ml and then make a large loss on the rest of the [unused] bottle?

What can often happen is it may cost you £60 for one ferret injecting, but they may have done 20 for the same amount!

It's the rules we are stuck with. The drug for one ferret may only cost a few pounds but if we open it especially and waste the rest it won't be sustainable.

Any suggestions around this?

ive got one why dont they do single shot bottles ? that way we dont get robbed and the vets dont have to worry about losing profit

As a profession that is what vets are calling for. Even if it mean a slight cost increase per dose with less wastage. The problem we have is to make even a new pack size requires research, safety and efficacy testing which can cost a million pounds. They won't sell a million pounds worth of the product in a year as it's really falling out of fashion. I expect it will get discontinued in a few years.

Had 2 jills recieve the jill jab last year for about the cost of a couple of pints.

Also had one which has had the implant, this comes in a pack of two and you have to buy both of them unless someone else is having an animal implanted.

Guess I'm fortunate to have a good ferret vet with staff who have ferrets local to me. :yes:

FM

The problem we have are the government rules. The Veterinary Medicines Directorate used to leave vets to it and so a multi dose bottle may be open a little while. We now can't use a bottle more than 28 days after it was opened even if it's use by date is three years away.

The Delvosteron was used as an alternative to spaying bitches and given every 5 month to stop her coming into season. Most practices use the product very little so we have 2 options,

2. charge the whole bottle to the client and throw away the rest
  3. Sell 1 ml and then make a large loss on the rest of the [unused] bottle?

What can often happen is it may cost you £60 for one ferret injecting, but they may have done 20 for the same amount!

It's the rules we are stuck with. The drug for one ferret may only cost a few pounds but if we open it especially and waste the rest it won't be sustainable.

Any suggestions around this?

I never see it this way,I did think that if my other ferret was in season then I could have had her dome in the price but she still not swollen,

I'd give the money all day long because the ferrets worth double her weight in gold,the sore point iv got Is beingtold one price then getting charged another,probly time to get another vets like someone already said.

I never see it this way,I did think that if my other ferret was in season then I could have had her dome in the price but she still not swollen,

I'd give the money all day long because the ferrets worth double her weight in gold,the sore point iv got Is beingtold one price then getting charged another,probly time to get another vets like someone already said.

Just had 5 jills jabbed- £18 the lot! Not just saying that to make you all feel bad that really was the price. My vet is a brilliant lady with a chaotic ramshackle practise, stacked to the roof with papers and jars and dogs and cats all over the place. Her husband is a farmer and ferret keeper and she clearly knows the animals and is very fond of them.

I only had one jill showing sign with a swollen vulva but the vet said do them all as it is better to catch them just before they come into season as they're more likely to last right through to september. The jill who'd already come in may need another dose later in the year. So take all your jills in now whether they're showing or not.

My vet also spays jills for £30 and treated one of my mine for a dislocated elbow last year, x rayed her, reset the joint, kept her for a week for the ligaments to recover and charged me £40!

I hope the EU don't find out about this wonderful lady, they'll find some way to ruin her.

As a profession that is what vets are calling for. Even if it mean a slight cost increase per dose with less wastage. The problem we have is to make even a new pack size requires research, safety and efficacy testing which can cost a million pounds. They won't sell a million pounds worth of the product in a year as it's really falling out of fashion. I expect it will get discontinued in a few years.

That just sounds like an excuse on someone's part, the product is the same product, all you're doing is packaging in a different size dose so where's the need for research ?

If the jabs ARE going out of fashion, more likely it's to do with the cost and peeps getting fed up with paying through the nose.

I've had dogs & cats over the years and more than once have been charged over the odds for meds which in fact I could have bought much much cheaper from an online veterinary med's site or in a couple of cases the high street chemist :o

Just had 5 jills jabbed- £18 the lot!

My vet also spays jills for £30 and treated one of my mine for a dislocated elbow last year, x rayed her, reset the joint, kept her for a week for the ligaments to recover and charged me £40!

She must have a large personal wealth. I have just looked and can assure you that the drug would have cost more than £18 to inject the 5 ferrets! [That's cost price to the vet plus VAT].

That just sounds like an excuse on someone's part, the product is the same product, all you're doing is packaging in a different size dose so where's the need for research ?

You'd think that wouldn't you. It annoys a lot of people but that is the rules that the veterinary and human medicines have to work with. Most of these rules are passed over from Europe.

If the jabs ARE going out of fashion, more likely it's to do with the cost and peeps getting fed up with paying through the nose.

I've had dogs & cats over the years and more than once have been charged over the odds for meds which in fact I could have bought much much cheaper from an online veterinary med's site or in a couple of cases the high street chemist :o

What is going out of fashion is injecting bitches to stop them coming into season. I would say it is well recognised the benefits of early neutering that you don't get with 5 monthly injections to postpone the heats. If vets were tying to make as much money as they could we'd use the injections and you'd spend many times more over the dogs life. Then a significant number get a womb infection (pyometra) and need spaying anyways - win win for the vets.

What do you mean when you say 'charged over the odds'? Very simply a veterinary practice is a business that has to make money to survive. There are huge costs with staff, equipment and drugs. A small practice may well have over £10,000 outlayed in stock so that it is readily available, a big practice will have many times this amount. The equation is very simple, if you want cheap drugs then you will have to pay a lot more for fees. Vet practices don't generate huge revenues. Most small business owners will make better money and better return on investment.

If I was in it for the money I would get out of general practice now!

Incidentally the drugs are cheaper on the internet because in many cases they don't actually hold any stock, they just get it delivered when they have a firm paid for order. The internet pharmacies cannot survive without vets. The vets won't be there if they earn significantly less. The net effect of using an internet pharmacy is the fees go up, you are charged for a prescription and you the client ultimately pays more money for a less convenient service. Your money is now supporting an extra business. Trying to save a few pennies now will cost people dear in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

She must have a large personal wealth. I have just looked and can assure you that the drug would have cost more than £18 to inject the 5 ferrets! [That's cost price to the vet plus VAT].

I'm lucky enough to have a retired vet as a landlord who can get the meds etc, however, he has little experience with Ferrets. Are you able to advise of the drug and dosage needed for each Ferret - I have 4 Jill's to bring out of season so it may work in my favour to buy the meds through him and get landlord to treat the girls for me.