Don't think so...

Deako

Well, I suppose this will start a bit of a debate...

I've just read one of the shoot reports on the main site, where a guy claims to have shot well over 100 pigeons during a days decoying...with an AIR RIFLE. :D

I know air rifles are good, and very capable, but I'm not having it that a bloke can shoot at, and kill, enough SITTING birds in his pattern, to make that kind of bag with an airgun. I don't believe that at all.

Right or Wrong? ;)

I have not read the report, but does it states that the pigeons were landing in his pattern? It is not that difficult to shoot that amount of pigeons out of trees with an air rifle. On a good day I have had a continuous stream of pigeons landing 30-35 yards away just sitting in the trees.

Mark.

Is this the post you are talking about?

Pigeon Shooters name - Ryan Mcphee

Part of UK bag was shot - North Scotland

The total number of pigeons shot = 114

Gender - male

The gun you used - Air Rifle

Bag Date - 12.01.03

The Crop type - Wood

The day details - A good wind pigeons feeding on arival 150 shots fired at pigeons 3 at rabbit only got 2 and 9 shots fired at crow but only got 5.

I think the vital bit of information is the "Crop type: Wood", he is not using a pattern but is shooting the pigeons out of the trees, as I stated in an earlier post this is perfectly reasonable (I have done the same).

Mark.

I suppose it depends on ehat he means by decoying,if he means it in the conventional sense then ;) HOW MANY!!!but as Mark says,if there were absolutley load in the wood and if he was a very good shot and if a load of other things were right i suppose it would be possable,i think we need more info on this one so if your reading this Ryan give us te full sp :D

I had three winters shooting pigeons with an airgun. I fed them arround a clump of willow trees in a prime spot.

I placed decoys on the floor and occasionally few lofters in various trees. The hide I shot from was superb with not a chance of being seen. The best bag I had was 24.

The gun I used was an

All right, how about this one then?

A friend of mine has just got back from a fishing holiday in Namibia (200lb sharks from the shore).

He met a shooting guide out there who told him they had recently caught a young lad poaching. The chap had killed an elephant with a .22 rf.

There's a vulnerable spot, that is just visible behind the foreleg as it's brought forward whilst walking, where a .22 solid will get into the lungs.

Its very difficult to challenge, what anyone posts, or reports on here.

All things are possible and if you read every posting and report, you have to believe that. ;)

I have heard of a few bags of over 100 pigeons, that were shot sitting in trees.

That was with a shotgun, but I suppose on the same days, it may have been possible to get the same number, with an air rifle.