Water purification system leaking push fit joints

Dr W

So I'll freely admit I don't like plumbing jobs but I need to fix this so i can drink nice fresh water with out it leaking down the back of the cupboard and making lino tiles buckle.

We've got one of these Pozzani water systems under the sink and we also have a basket of kitchen stuff under there. I suspect that when this basket is being pushed into the cupboard that it presses on the pipes and makes the joint leak.

amazon600.JPG

I'd like to try and repair or replace the joints where the pipe enters the filter so I can stop the cupbaord and floor getting wet.

Is it possible to repair these joints or do I need to start again with a new filter container.

Any help gratefully received so i stop getting grief off the Mrs.

Edited by Dr W

You need to identify where the leak is coming from. If it's one of the push fit connectors you should be able to stop the leak by resealing the joint. It'll either need pushing back in tighter if the hose is slightly dislodged or not pushed all the way in; Or if the rubber/plastic pipe is split, you have enough slack to cut the damaged part away and re-insert the pipe into the connector.

Hopefully you have a tap under there so you can isolate the water while you do your repairs, if not you'll have to isolate the water from the mains using your stop cock.

If you do need parts:

http://commercial.pozzani.co.uk/index.php?cPath=109

Thanks for replies all

The leak is coming from the grey joint where the blue pipe gets pressed in.

I've since been searching on net and found the manufacturer who sells spare joints, I'm going to replace these (only £4 each).

So what people are saying is when I remove the pipe, inspect the end and if split cut a bit off and push back into the joint?

Is any tape or sealant needed?

Here is a (not very good) picture of the actual filter under the sink and where the blue pipe goes in.

post-4218-0-81365000-1301399134.jpg

take the joint apart and cut a short piece of the pipe off and refit, From memory these are just a simple compression fitting. Alternatively it may be possible to just tighten it a bit

+1

If it's plastic pipe get the insert for the ends it makes it less likely to leak in the future with push fits :good:

I would cut a bit of pipe off even if it looks OK - it might retain memory of a smaller diameter. Besides, you will probably scuff the pipe when removing it if it has a metal grip ring with teeth inside the connector. Try to remove any twist in the pipe that might be pulling it slightly to one side. Some of these connectors need to have the pipe pushed in before you fully tighten a locking ring too.

Good luck :good:

JW

They're a bit of a pain those water filter joints. The pipes don't have inserts. You can try taking them out (remove the cirlip which should be there, but may not be) then pull back the ring and the pipe should come out. Cut the pipe an inch or two shorter, being very careful to get a good clean straight cut. Put some silicon grease (not sealant) on the pipe and reinsert. Turn the water back on and see. Probably won't work as the "O" ring in the fitting can get damaged/distorted. If you get a new fitting you will probably need to put some PTFE tape round the thread when you re-insert the fitting in the body of the filter to stop that leaking.

Send cheque :yes:;)

Best thing to do is remove both fittings take them to plumbers merchants and ask for some 10 mm push fit, hep2o or jg speedfit replacements with a length of new pipe and some inserts refit with these new ones job done. Do not cut the pipe with a hacksaw use a sharp blade. Unless you really bash them they won't leak, used on central heating and water systems, and are capable of taking movement for years. The flexible nylon pipe in the filter kits is always a poor substitute for proper plumbing fittings.

Hope this helps.

Damm giving away trade secrets.

ATB figgy

Thanks for replies all

The leak is coming from the grey joint where the blue pipe gets pressed in.

I've since been searching on net and found the manufacturer who sells spare joints, I'm going to replace these (only £4 each).

So what people are saying is when I remove the pipe, inspect the end and if split cut a bit off and push back into the joint?

Is any tape or sealant needed?

Here is a (not very good) picture of the actual filter under the sink and where the blue pipe goes in.

I wouldnt bother getting any more joints from the manufacturers,as these will be of poor quality again,instead go to plumbcentre and get a proper joint,a lot of these type of products have inferior fittings which just get chucked so to avoid call backs :good: