52gn 3045fps 0.9"

52.5gn (max load) 3100fps 0.7" that will do for me :rolleyes:

Edited by tommy trucker

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are those compressed loads?

i dont know what 560 is like, but to get 3100 out of a 120 grain bullet is going some

the max that the nosler handload book suggests for n160 is 46.5 grains

and according to this H 1000 with 52 grains is running a 104% load density

are you sure you want to be this close to the max?

we are only doing 2900 fps with a 95grain V max and using 47grains i think

never the less reasonable groups considering the conditions

suffering from any of the sooting down the side of the case? We struggled with this at first, but fixed it by switching to Fed 210 primers.

no its not a compreesd load mate, im using cci 200 primers but tried some loads loaded with varget this gave 2 rounds with sooting :rolleyes: and the groups were **** :sly: so i stopped...........

vit reloading guide- https://www.eabco.com/VihtaVuori01.pdf page17-18

vit n560 is a powder that was made with the 6.5 in mind :rolleyes:

Edited by tommy trucker

hornady dont list any loads with more than 48.4 and nosler only list one with 52 and its a 104% load density.

just dont want you going blowing yourself up :rolleyes:

My old man started off with 560 or 550 (he cant remember which atm) and we had problems with it setting fire to anything infront of it (large ball of flame) we had a very accurate load with this but found under low light field conditions you got blinded by it and couldnt take a follow up if needed (not that it ever has been with the 6.5) So now we run N160 and it seems to be working fine.

But what ever works for you mate, just get a 2nd opinion on those powder charges.

"So now we run N160 and it seems to be working fine."

for a 120gn nosler

starting point for n160 45.8 gn..aprox vel =2707

max charge for n160 is 50.7 gn...aprox vel =2975fps

yup, its not quite as quick, but we run light bullets to make up for it a bit, even so we are still only running 47 and getting 2900, but this still makes for a very flat trajectory with 95grainers, good fox medicine :rolleyes:

Nice to see you are breaking in the 6.5 with hot barrels Tommy. :lol:

3100fps, :rolleyes: thats a hot load alright for the 6.5.

My mate that has his and reloads, ( he is in Northern Ireland) does not go past 2700fps, but every rifle and load combination is different he tells me. :sly:

That load seems to have fallen in love with your rifle. :lol:

The best of luck Tommy. :rolleyes:

When are we going to see the first deer shot with it? :lol:

cheers frank,

what bullet is your mate using and at what weight?

i just couldn't get below 1" at the slower speeds

as for a deer i'm gona now wait till roe bucks come in season

but i might get out this week to try her out on a fox "me & my whistle"

by the way frank have u mastered the whistle yet??

hopefuly devastaiting :rolleyes::rolleyes:

at this velocity it will shoot flatter than a squashed hedgehog thats been on the M25 for 24hrs :sly::lol:

if i zero 1.5"high @100yds i will have a point blank range out to 235yds if the diameter of the kill zone is 3" (fox)

or 2" highfor a p/b/r of 263yds for a 4"killzone (deer)

Edited by tommy trucker

hopefuly devastaiting :rolleyes::sly:

at this velocity it will shoot flatter than a squashed hedgehog thats been on the M25 for 24hrs :lol::lol:

if i zero 1.5"high @100yds i will have a point blank range out to 235yds if the diameter of the kill zone is 3" (fox)

or p/b/r of 263yds for a 4"killzone (deer)

Thats the Nads M8,I sighted mine(with regular ammo)at that Ideal but with the data you kindly linked I shall be trying to tighten the group and stretch the barrel :rolleyes:

Cheers :lol:

cheers frank,

what bullet is your mate using and at what weight?

i just couldn't get below 1" at the slower speeds

as for a deer i'm gona now wait till roe bucks come in season

but i might get out this week to try her out on a fox "me & my whistle"

by the way frank have u mastered the whistle yet??

Hi uses bullets between 120 & 140, usually soft points. He is cautious of giving out too much info to people about his loads, as he is scared of his **** that someone might blow them selfs up and sue him. :lol::rolleyes::sly:

He reckons what might go with his rifle, might not go with anyone elses for some reason. :rolleyes:

Ill ask him to give me the recepie if i can and will PM it to you. :lol:

As for the fox whistle, its coming on nicely, havent got a fox with it yet, but iv only used it once so far, i want to get the whistle just right, before i use it again, but it will be soon. :lol:

Edited by Frank

all people who reload are resposible for their own actions. there are signs to look out for whilst working up a load

there were no signs of any pressure whilst i was working up mine but i was still .2gn under recomended max load by lapua oy. and is a brand new rifle.

do as much research as you can. if some one reloads near you ask to see if they can show you the basics. read watch dvds on the subject etc etc

if you are usure about any data etc get in touch with the manufactor of your said powder to confirm min /max charges. as i did, as they will have done more research than anyone

SAFETY is the main element in reloading. in fact safety should come first no matter what you do

if it aint safe dont do it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TT

Looking at that first target, what size dustbin lid do you use to cover all the shots? :rolleyes: Fancy taking the closest three and saying that they're all yours! :rolleyes: come on, who really did the shooting? :sly:

As it happens, I was out on saturday on some new land so had to prove that I can shoot. So i put 2 shoots touching and 1 an inch away. First one was the cold shot and the next two were touching and smack on the bull at 102 yards. I know, a bit low but... :lol:

"So you can shoot then..." Oh, how we laughed !!!

Tikka 6.5x55, T8 silencer with Meopta 4-12x50. Cracking rig with factory ammo - can't wait to start making mine. Got a gold medal Munty 1 hour later.

RTD

TT

Looking at that first target, what size dustbin lid do you use to cover all the shots? :lol: Fancy taking the closest three and saying that they're all yours! :lol: come on, who really did the shooting? :lol:

As it happens, I was out on saturday on some new land so had to prove that I can shoot. So i put 2 shoots touching and 1 an inch away. First one was the cold shot and the next two were touching and smack on the bull at 102 yards. I know, a bit low but... B)

"So you can shoot then..." Oh, how we laughed !!!

Tikka 6.5x55, T8 silencer with Meopta 4-12x50. Cracking rig with factory ammo - can't wait to start making mine. Got a gold medal Munty 1 hour later.

RTD

how much difference does the t8 make rio? im just sending my cert off for a variation to get a mod for my 6.5. and how much was it ? thanks dan. :lol: