Does any one here shoot Jays?

-kev-

19 hours ago, old'un said:

You don’t have to apologise, I just noticed how old the thread was, and yes it is still relevant.

and quite a few contributors we don't see much of these days......................

The answer is yes, every one I see other than when invited on one estate where the keeper doesn't shoot them.   Ace nest robbers.

6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

+1 don't understand people that don't carry out vermin control when it benefits other wildlife.

Corvids eating eggs, chicks etc. isn't a new phenomenon, they're still a part of the ecosystem. Introduced species like squirrels and parakeets are fair enough but native species are perhaps worthy of some consideration rather than shooting regardless.

Can't remember the last time I saw a jay round here despite the amount of woods we have. Magpies are getting more common and are shot if they get close enough.

Crows and rooks and jackdaws have exploded round here, each year there are more and I'm not sure why.  I shoot them on sight as well. 

The squigs seem to be increasing as well, I have a massive one nearly as big as my cat that keeps robbing from the bird feeder, should it be lucky enough I will introduce it to mr jsb exact...

Must have been 30 magpies in a tree near me yesterday. Not close enough to do anything about (not even on my land) but they seldom come into range. Can't bear the noise they make but my wife keeps banging on about how pretty they are so can't get a Larsen trap in and would have to dispose of any unfortunates carefully

I ran a Larsen trap in my garden this spring as well as a couple at the shoot. I account for 32 magpies and 2 jackdaws in my garden alone. There has been a noticeable increase in songbirds in our garden and area around here. Everyone should if possible do something to control these nest robbing barstools. 

And yes I will shoot a Jay without hesitation and if one of my guns decides not to I would have a moan. 

• 3 weeks later...

Shot 7 this year, a lad I know that does fly fishing always takes the blue feathers for his fly tying, saw one that had a young chick in its beak earlier this year, that was in the back garden, one of our shoots has loads of maggies on it and a few months ago I shot 7 in 1 outing.

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2018 at 12:18, spandit said:

Corvids eating eggs, chicks etc. isn't a new phenomenon, they're still a part of the ecosystem. Introduced species like squirrels and parakeets are fair enough but native species are perhaps worthy of some consideration rather than shooting regardless.

100% agree:good:

The only corvid I ease up on is the rook and occasionally have to hit them hard when they are devastating crops. They do not do any damage to other wildlife other than wireworms in grass fields.  Carrion crows, magpies and jays I clean up at every opportunity. On one farm slurry pit I am now close to 300 magpies killed in a little over two years, just think the damage they would have done to any song birds.  Still a few about so have not eradicated them.