Do you keep your Working Dogs

pavman

70 members have voted

1. 1. How do you house your working dog

• Outside Kennel and run
    • Inside the house

don't bet on it my other halfs best mate breeds flatcoats and keeps 8 in the house, ******* horrible dogs they are too

Thank god we keep ours out. Our fox hound would wreck the house, the 3 springers would get dirty walking from the kennel to the house and the terriers are smelly little ****s :lol: , but wouldn't change them all for the world :good:

What makes you say that if they are inside they are a pet that works or a full working dog that lives outside.

Mine are full working dogs that are inside if I am at home and outside if I have to go out.

If you want to treat your dogs like a lawnmower that is in the garage until you need it then fine. Just don't knock others because of what they do :angry: :angry: :angry:

What makes you say that if they are inside they are a pet that works or a full working dog that lives outside.

Mine are full working dogs that are inside if I am at home and outside if I have to go out.

If you want to treat your dogs like a lawnmower that is in the garage until you need it then fine. Just don't knock others because of what they do :angry: :angry: :angry:

MC dont get your knickers in a twist over terms and words............

no need, I nor others who keep dogs outside treat them like lawn mowers, I class any animal that lives in a house with you as in some way or % a pet manybe part pet maybe full pet, you and i have been on shoots when a guns turns up with choclit lab that lays on the carpet 95% of its life licking its nuts and he says its a working dog it could not pick a paper wrapper from the waste bin thats a full blown pet.

many dogs are more to their owners familes (wifes/kids) than a working dog and we keep tham as we do to suit our own circumstances. If my labs was in the house I would not have a house left as has been stated, they are very distuctive when pups and ripped up a run let alone the soffa so for me and others its not an option. They are workers I love em to bits but dont think of them as pets. If you keep your dog inside it obviously enjoys your comapny more often and you its hence its more of a worker/ pet in my opinion. dont mean it cant work as good as anyones dog, yours do and you know well I have said what cracking dog merlin is many times :good: It may also be about numbers say a large estate or a game keeper with lots of dogs, do they treat them like lawn mowers, nooooooooooo

its friday Vodka O Clock :good:

Edited by pavman

MC they are to an extent pets and personally I prefer it that way. I don't treat mine like a true working dog, I also wouldn't sell it on if it didn't do the job or give it a bullet when it was no longer useful. Yours I am guessing are much the same,

Oh no Alex,

According to this thread mine are only pets as they live indoors. The fact they haven't eaten the house is that I have taken the time to house train them and not just shove them in a shed in my garden.

However the fact that I have never lost a bird since having Merlin or the fact that my shooting is far better because I have a companion is irrelevant. They live indoors so they can't possibly be working dogs can they?

They also aren't labs MC its the main downside of them wrecking the house, yours are pet working dogs simply because they exist for more than working. However none of the top trainers has their dogs in the house it seems to help having them on their own, but I don't want a dog that is a zombie.

Twice last season on our shoot dogs got lost, both had very good owners who do well in the trialling world. So well the dogs once they lost contact in a cover crop panicked and just stopped too scared to do anything else

Oh no Alex,

According to this thread mine are only pets as they live indoors. The fact they haven't eaten the house is that I have taken the time to house train them and not just shove them in a shed in my garden.

However the fact that I have never lost a bird since having Merlin or the fact that my shooting is far better because I have a companion is irrelevant. They live indoors so they can't possibly be working dogs can they?

I really dont get why you are so peeved its no slight on any dog weather they are inside or out if they are well trained and pick up thats what matters. My intent was out of interest as to what most of us do not to say one dogs home makes it better or worse than any other and i thought that was clear but perhaps wording could have been better?.... because as we all know its much to do with how much you put into training. A well trained house living dog will be a better worker than a poor trained dog kept in a run. Some folk dont have room for a run some folk (me) dont want the house trashed when they go to work which labs are apt to do even after just a short time alone. Now if i say i am sorry you took it the wrong way (and I am) may we continue.....please :yes:

So MC, are you trying to say that because we keep our dogs outside that we don't care for them as much? My dogs don't just get shoved in a shed, they are in runs along with other dogs so they aren't lonely.

I have dogs first and foremost as working dogs, I train them as such to do what I want them to do in the field, I have absolutely no intention of house training any of my working dogs and this is why they are kept outside in a run. You and others choose to keep your working dogs inside and that is your choice; don't get ar$ey with someone for putting up a simple poll.

My dogs get as much attention as your house trained dogs as they are walked constantly and not just shoved in a shed until the start of next season.