99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you shoulder your gun and aim before calling 'Pull

• No, I hold gun down or out in front
    • Gun Up ready to take aim

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been previously alluded to, gun up or down (whether just out of the shoulder or down by your hip) along with the range of shooting methods - maintained lead, swing through, pull away etc. gives you options. There is no perfect 'one size fits all' method of shooting. Any good, experienced shot will read the target and apply the style that will give them the best chance of hitting the target or targets. IMHO anyone who thinks that they don't adapt, even if only in a small way to differing target presentations is either kidding themselves or, being a berk!!

By all means attempt different methods & experiment whilst practicing - that's how you learn & improve, however to ingrain one style in practice & apply another in competition is, to put it politely, complete lunacy!!!

I do both,

They both have advantages for different targets, I usually shoot all going away and quartering stuff gun up, my problem is when do I change to gun down.

Always shot skeet gun down, but now shoot high 1 and low 7 gun up, plus the pairs, just seems to be less to go wrong!

The Yanks shoot skeet gun up and we don't compare with their averages.

All the 'trap' shooters shoot gun up, as they can't afford the waste of time it takes to mount the gun, and 1 mismount probably means a lost target and the difference between winning and losing.

Think you should learn to do both, they are simply tools,

kermit

Beretta Italy,

You have not said who or where you are being coached by in Sussex?...I only really wanted to know as I'll probably know them and wanted to give them a quick heads up that they've got a hell of a job on their hands...

It is great that you are so enthusiastic,but the point comes when the Lemming reaches the cliff edge...and my friend you is spiralling....I have heard of child prodigies but as Blackadder might say you are trying ''to teach cunning to professors Fox of Oxford University Cunning Department''...If you still have'nt twigged you are telling County/National/International level clay shooters the methods of shooting,when it is pretty clear your SGC is still shiny and your cabinet bolts recently fixed..

Look forward to seeing you in 2012 on the rostrum..

ATB.

Beretta Italy,

You have not said who or where you are being coached by in Sussex?...I only really wanted to know as I'll probably know them and wanted to give them a quick heads up that they've got a hell of a job on their hands...

It is great that you are so enthusiastic,but the point comes when the Lemming reaches the cliff edge...and my friend you is spiralling....I have heard of child prodigies but as Blackadder might say you are trying ''to teach cunning to professors Fox of Oxford University Cunning Department''...If you still have'nt twigged you are telling County/National/International level clay shooters the methods of shooting,when it is pretty clear your SGC is still shiny and your cabinet bolts recently fixed..

Look forward to seeing you in 2012 on the rostrum..

ATB.

Calm down, go out side, as I'm about to, and relax in the sun. You seem to be getting agitated... It is a forum, you will meet ones you like and those you don't.

I've got the best of both worlds, being self employed now, I will do just that!

Edited by Beretta Italy

Beretta Italy,

....I have heard of child prodigies but as Blackadder might say you are trying ''to teach cunning to professors Fox of Oxford University Cunning Department''...

Thanks Dougall, that was a tea over screen moment :lol::lol::lol:

You do know that Beretta Italy is Beretta's long lost Italian cousin (as in the shooting Stig) :good:

Beretta taught him all he knows, and that's why he knows so much more than you ignorant newbies.

Listen and you will learn :yes:

By no means am I an amazing shot although I'm pretty good! Also If anyone is in the West Sussex area, PM me if you want to go for a round of sporting! cheerss.

Do you ever shoot at Southdowns :hmm:

If so, I will meet up with you for a round :good:

(Never know I might learn something) :whistling:

Hi Chris, In reply to your question, I shoot at a number of different places, round the South East England. It depends on who I go with and where they live. I don't really stay at one place, I have a few that I really like though! :good: And sadly No, I've now decided not to meet up with anyone online after these last couple threads, I've been misunderstood and portrayed incorrectly and I've decided to keep quiet as people seem to take what I say the wrong way. lol :/:/ :/

Edited by Beretta Italy

Tell you the truth, I think we've all been rather hard on Beretta Italy.

He sounds alright, just a bit misunderstood. :yes:

There are some strong witty characters on here, but it has to be the best place if you want a laugh (and learn a bit at the same time).

Ken - you may be right - I'm not sure he's that misunderstood, just dug himself a grave and kept digging. I'm not certain he'll do it again....the pack does like fresh meat to feast on doesn't it?

But then one or two of the 'witty' characters here don't contribute a thing when it comes to knowledge, help, or advice, they just like to back up their mates 'witty' comments in a PW love-in. :rolleyes:

Edited by Thunderbird