Feral Pigeons

bob80

I have about 20 problems in my garden (all pigeons). Being a bird lover I have tried everything to get rid of these things that are making a mess of my grass and leaving **** all over. Now the time as come to do the ultimate thing (shoot them).

I would like to know where is the best area to aim for as to make the kill as quick as possible, and not cause any suffering. I shall be borrowing to .22 air rifle with pointed slugs.

cheers bob

In My experience pointed pellets are best avoided as the nose can be off centre therfore making the pellet fly off target . as for Best place to Shoot them I prefer the throat as it doesnt move as much as the head . Practice on a target at the correct sort of range first as a bad shot may cause You problems with the neighbours ;)

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

Presumably they're in your garden for one of 2 reasons:

1. There is food there for them to eat, (or very close by).

2. They are roosting there.

I can't think of any other reasons why they should be there, so why not withdraw their food supply or remove their roosting spots?

Shooting should only be tried after all other options have failed, and then you need to be very careful or you're likely to get a visit from your local armed response unit.

Cat.

P.S. - Fill in your profile, somebody local to you could then offer practical advice, also many people on the forum will not reply to those from the land of "Not Given"

I shall be borrowing to .22 air rifle with pointed slugs.

there,s a bit more to than this.

;):rolleyes:

Paranoia kicking in again ?

Bob80, if Catamong's suggestions don't work, then sussex sums it up nicely.

not really. was thinking more on the lines of a novice with a gun that he has borrowed, that might be lacking in power, and might be shooting miles out.

not to mention if its safe to do so in the garden, and has he told the people next door what he plans. not paranoia, or jumping to conclusions thank you.

I shall be borrowing to .22 air rifle with pointed slugs.

there,s a bit more to than this.

;):rolleyes:

Paranoia kicking in again ?

Bob80, if Catamong's suggestions don't work, then sussex sums it up nicely.

not really. was thinking more on the lines of a novice with a gun that he has borrowed, that might be lacking in power, and might be shooting miles out.

not to mention if its safe to do so in the garden, and has he told the people next door what he plans. not paranoia, or jumping to conclusions thank you.

Then why not say so ?

I doubt Bob80, or anyone else, got that message from what you actually posted.

I had a phone call last week from a woman in NORFOLK who asked what she could do about woodies, waking her up in the mornings, with all that cooing. :< As her garden backed onto farmland, she thought I might be able to shoot them in the fields, before they arrived on her property!! :rolleyes: All I could suggest was that she either got someone to shoot them with an air rifle, perhaps used a plastic owl, or disturbed them in some other way. She said she might get a relative to use his air rifle and that saved me a trip to Norfolk. ;)

Edited by invector

Just make sure if you DO resort to shooting them thet you have a relevant back stop.

Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to stray shots and the possibility of a law suit if your shot strays (even from a ricochet) and damages your neighbours property or person.

And if your Borrowing a rifle then use it first on a few targets to assure yourself it is 1 accurate and 2 powerful enough for a humane kill.

I find those large Windmills you get from the cheap shops and some streamers on canes help keep pigeons out of the allotment as well as Henry D's idea of CD's on string between 2 canes

The CD's you get free just walk into the likes of PC World or An electricity store and they have the Internet package CD's like AOL on the counter.

Just help yourself to a few every time you go in and they DO work but as said keep em moving round the garden.

LG

What can I say all this advice. I have made sure there is no food for them. The folks next door are OK with it, and I,ve tried plastic owls that worked for a day so that blew that out of the water at 20quid. Meshed off a small bird table, got 2 cats that prefer fish, and I tried cd,s no luck. but I will try the windmill approach why not. If anything its turned into a study of pigeon behavour. If I do take the last resort than. than yes practice first. I have shot before at targets but practice makes the quick kill. I shall let you all know how it goes.

regards bob