my lab is not interested in birds

Lee 1991

i have a fox red lab i have left it a bit late to start training him as a gun dog authough he will do basic tasks he will:

sit on the whistle and hand signals

go into cover on verbal command or hand signals

come to heel etc.

but he is just not interested in birds how can i help this :thumbs: Lee

i would work him with a dummy throw and fetch make it fun for the dog then move on to fetching dead birds by this i mean throwing the dead bird for him to fetch and reward when he brings the bird back . . i still have trouble with my spaniel she wont pick cold dead birds at the end of a days pigeon shooting i think this is dew to getting her to leave the real decoys alone out in the field. i have seen her walk by a pigeon lying in the wood behind the hide and not give it a second glance when it had had time to cool if you no wot i mean. anyway im no exspert but i would try the dummy then dead birds, some dogs dont like the down of feathers in there mouths but they will learn to flick then round to least feathered place on the bird to pick them up. my spaniel dose this she nudges then over and picks them by the back as she dose not like picking them up by the belly, shes a bit strange just like her owner!! :) good luck and keep at it. its great when it comes together

cheers kirky :thumbs:

Edited by kirky640

When training my Black Lab, I used various wings ie pigeon, phesant mallard tied to the canvas dummies. It got the dog used to the feathers and scents.

For starters try tying the wings to the dummy so they wrap around it and dont flap about.

Once the dog has become used to retreiving feather fix the wings on one end only, or attach another set of wings that simulate a dead bird.

Hopefully your dog will become more interested in feather.

Hope this may help a little.

when i was training my lab, i found the same problem, it was solved with placing a regularly used dummy inside a sock, then chucking it for him for about a week. Then take the dummy out and place a pheasant/partridge etc inside and hope they pick it up.

If not try putting game scents on the dummy (available from http://www.trgundogequipment.co.uk/Merchan...creen=SFNT)then after a few weeks put some pheasant wings on the dummy ( held on with string etc).

Usually it is just a case of trying to introduce the dog to the pheasant slowly. I was told not to try and force the bird in his mouth as this could give him the wrong impression of game.

Hope this helps

Rob

i have used a dummy with him but to be honest he is more interrested in going around sniffing about after this i went out and shot shot a rabbit with him sitting by my side and he retrieved ths perfectly and brought it straight back to me. From this i kept sitting him beside me and throwing the rabbit for him to retrieve and he was doing so quite well so i praised him took him home and left it on a good note.

the next day i went out and shot a pigeon he went up to if sniffed it plucked it and walked off i encorahed him to retrieve it by holding it in his mouth saying hold etc but as soon as i let go he would drop it and walk off.

he is very gentle mouthed

the only thing that i can think of that he may be scared of birds because when he was a young he caught a pheasant and started plucking it and i told him to leave it and he did. but i dont understand how that would put him off could this be the reason?:D

he is very gentle mouthed

the only thing that i can think of that he may be scared of birds because when he was a young he caught a pheasant and started plucking it and i told him to leave it and he did. but i dont understand how that would put him off could this be the reason?:D

Lee;

Yes depending on how hard you came down on him as a young pup, you may have intimidated him on birds. However in most cases this can be over come.

Couple of more questions for you;

1) do you or can you get hold of some pigeon or pheasant wings, and 4 or 5 dead pigeons and pheasants. The birds can go into your freezer for now.

2) does he like to play retrieve?

3) do you have access to anywhere ...ex. sales barn that you can get about 4 ferel pigeons from?

NTTF

Okay I need you to get hold of some pigeon wings, and 4 or 5 live ferel pigeons. If you get a couple of pigeon wings first off we can start there, however we need the live pigeons to get his interest peeked and his mind on birds.

In the mean time your first step is to take him out with a ball and get him fired up about retrieving. Nothing formal just throw the ball and get him bringing it to you . It is to be fun the whole time. If need be when he picks up the ball start jogging back wards praising him with good dog thata boy etc, clapping hands what ever it takes to get him fired up. You want him bouncing and barking for you to throw the ball.

NTTF

Edited by new to the flock

Okay I need you to get hold of some pigeon wings, and 4 or 5 live ferel pigeons. If you get a couple of pigeon wings first off we can start there, however we need the live pigeons to get his interest peeked and his mind on birds.

sorry lads but catching live birds for youre dog to chase is a bit sick and twisted in my book. sounds cruel and unsporting

kirky :<

Kirky they will be used in a field training program where they get to fly, as the dog flushes them. You use pigeons as you can rock them down and they will stay in place gauarenteeing that your dog will have bird sent to find. They can also be placed in bird launchers if you have these devices.

NTTF

not for me thanks i have more respct for birds animals etc not catch them live its just not right for me

Edited by kirky640

Kirky they will be used in a field training program where they get to fly, as the dog flushes them. You use pigeons as you can rock them down and they will stay in place gauarenteeing that your dog will have bird sent to find. They can also be placed in bird launchers if you have these devices.

NTTF

not for me thanks i have more respct for birds animals etc not catch them live its just not right for me

kirky;

I have no problem if you do not agree with a perticular training scheme, or program.

But please do not tell me that you have more respect for birds and animals than I do, as I believe you to be sadly mistaken.

NTTF

Edited by new to the flock

NTTF

kirky;

I have no problem if you do not agree with a perticular training scheme, or program.

But please do not tell me that you have more resect for birds and animals than I do, as I believe you to be sadly mistaken.

NTTF

ok nttf thats fine by me good luck

kirky :thumbs:no offence ment just my opinion thats all

Edited by kirky640