my lab is not interested in birds

Lee 1991

Kirky!

What are your opinions on the use of rabbit pens for training?

cheers

dont have one as dont know what you use rabbit pens for !!

For your info Kirky

http://www.swanwaygundogs.com/Rabbitpen/rabbitpen.htm

http://www.spanieljournal.com/10mdeeley.html

Cheers

mad im open minded on this rabbit pens but can seee how this would be a great thing for dogs to do as i have seen many good dogs distracted buy ground game at shoots so yes its seems to be a good idea :thumbs: :blink:

ps i have a 4 year old springer and she is realy quite good and i think her good behavour is dew to the wife taking here to local pup classes from 9 weeks old just to get the basic sit and stay at an early stage

ps im no exspert but love to work my dog sometimes think it s better than shooting ..... well nearly

cheers and thanks kirky

• 2 weeks later...

If the dog will retreive from water, throw a pigeon or hen pheasant in, let him fetch it a couple of times, then get a friend to throw it high in the air away from water, lots of encouragement and he will pick it, then get your friend to do just the same with a dry bird. Let him pick it once then call it a day. Repeat the whole thing every day, gradually less wet retreives more dry ones untill he's solid on dry birds. I've never known this method fail if the dog will already fetch dummies from water. Give it a try, let me know how it goes.

Lee I haven't read all the posts so you may have this sorted. I no longer work a dog but when I did I used to get the same problem - go up, sniff, pull feathers.

If the dog is doing that it is possible he is interested. Some dogs don't like the feel of feathers on their noses as they stick. I had this problem with pigeons.

What I use to do was get an old stocken, that some chick left in the car the night b4 :/ No not true, I was a good boy. I would put the bird into it and get it retreiving that, lot of priase. Once the pup did this well I would drop the birds head out and get the dog working on this. Then and wing and so on until the dog never looked back.

If it is very reluctant use treats when it does it well. Some REAL trainer will froun at that but it not their dog and if it work great.

Sorry if I have said what other said, hope it is some use.