166 members have voted

1. 1. Pro or anti fox hunting?

• Pro.
    • Anti.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you need to give a few more options on the poll berty........i dont disagree with fox hunting, i like shooting them as they are a pest, but what i do disagree with is.. them been hunted by 20 dogs and then getting ragged about its not fare!!

same goes for these lampers who use more than one or two dogs!!

thats my opinion anyway!! :good:

Big lesson we should all have learnt ALL fieldsports should stick together regardless of individual thoughts as the antis are clever and superbly organised that they will pick us all off one by one until theres just paint balling left !!

This Is about the best answer anyone could give... Couldn't agree more Mark.

I have 2 opinions:

1. Pro hunting with hounds - tradition, the sight of horses and hounds at full tilt and the pageantry that goes along with it. Plus, I agree that all practitioners of field sports should stick together before the whinging unwashed proles manage to erode all fun out of life, leaving us all to top ourselves out of boredom.

2. Anti - I'm not massively keen on chasing any animal be it pest, vermin or game to finally be ripped to pieces. Compared to a clean head or engine-room shot, this does seem needlessly cruel to me. I don't like it.

On balance, I wouldn't ban it though and would want the ban to be lifted. Politics. :/

To be honest I really couldn't give a stuff. If people want to hunt foxes with hounds let them. The thing that annoyed me at the time of the ban was the hours and hours of parliamentary time used up in pushing it through. Like there wasn't anything else more important to talk about.

If Labour had put that much time and effort into regulating the banks maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we find ourselves in now.

It was just a way to have a go at the toffs

Edited by Vince Green

its easey to se why some people dont like it,

they have never stood at the top of lingmell with edmund porter, walked the woods with barry todhunter, never sang horn of the hunter at the hunt ball, never recited the poem badger and butcher to the whole pub after a days hunting on the lakeland fells, their is much much more to hunting than killing.

we love out hills our tarns,out fells

we ken out moors our rocks and dells

we love our hounds, we love our sels

away my lads away

2. Anti - I'm not massively keen on chasing any animal be it pest, vermin or game to finally be ripped to pieces. Compared to a clean head or engine-room shot, this does seem needlessly cruel to me. I don't like it.

On balance, I wouldn't ban it though and would want the ban to be lifted. Politics. :/

+1 duncan i agree with you :yes::good:

Big lesson we should all have learnt ALL fieldsports should stick together regardless of individual thoughts as the antis are clever and superbly organised that they will pick us all off one by one until theres just paint balling left !!

Yes, entirely agree which is why when trying to defend their sport the huntsmen should not have accused the shooters of littering the countryside with maimed foxes. They were asked to stop making this point when presenting their case but failed to do so. Consequently, I for one, although not going against them will do nothing to assist their cause.

I guess I'm pro although I am a firmly think they are oops were totally hopeless at killing fox and they prance about tearing up fields disturbing the birds leaving a mess. Only reliant way is rifle or terriers. Best I've heard is the terrier men letting a fox off as the hunt came through with pink ribbons tied to it :lol:

Hunt master went mad and the useless idiots still didn't catch it.

its easey to se why some people dont like it,

they have never stood at the top of lingmell with edmund porter, walked the woods with barry todhunter, never sang horn of the hunter at the hunt ball, never recited the poem badger and butcher to the whole pub after a days hunting on the lakeland fells, their is much much more to hunting than killing.

we love out hills our tarns,out fells

we ken out moors our rocks and dells

we love our hounds, we love our sels

away my lads away

That all sounds lovely, it's just a shame an animal has to be chased until it dies for it to happen, if it's lucky it will die quickly and not be torn to shreds.

I have no problem with shooting animals be it for food or pest/population control but I do have a respect for what I shoot, if it's not a quick clean kill I really can't see the justification for it other than to afford someone enjoyment at another creatures needless suffering.

Edited by phaedra1106

My wife hunted with the Quorn for many years as it rides through the in-laws land (which I shoot over). Niece still rides with them. I love hunting and if I had the time I'd be out there too :good:

Someone else covered it earlier, but all fieldsports should stick together :good:

Yes, entirely agree which is why when trying to defend their sport the huntsmen should not have accused the shooters of littering the countryside with maimed foxes. They were asked to stop making this point when presenting their case but failed to do so. Consequently, I for one, although not going against them will do nothing to assist their cause.

it wasn't quite phrased like that, they said unlike shooting they never wound and injure a fox. It is fairly hard to argue that point as unless you hardly shoot foxes it will eventually happen. I've not been hunting would love to but had a couple of ex's who did and one who used to whip in on an ex racer so did get to see the action unlike most. When a female says its over in a blink then really it has a bit of credibility they are ripped apart but are well dead by then.

it wasn't quite phrased like that, they said unlike shooting they never wound and injure a fox. It is fairly hard to argue that point as unless you hardly shoot foxes it will eventually happen. I've not been hunting would love to but had a couple of ex's who did and one who used to whip in on an ex racer so did get to see the action unlike most. When a female says its over in a blink then really it has a bit of credibility they are ripped apart but are well dead by then.

Al4x, yep take your point about phraseology, but whenever a huntsman from whatever part of the country, ie, all over, was interviewed out came the same argument. Consequently, yep, the phrase used was as you suggested but the overall impression given was as I suggested. Again, yep, it does happen. I've lost 2 in 40 years (you never forget them). Neither were ever seen again. I'll wager that I'm no different from any other experienced shooter so attempting to make the case to the degree that the huntsmen consistantly did simply is not valid.

Didnt particularly like the way the ban was brought in. The reality of the situation was that whether i liked it or not (i am for fox hunting) the Labour government was going to ban it. So i do think the CA should of considered a compromise, i believe the law in Scotland is a better one (although by no means perfect) and the flush to bird of prey with loads of hounds, and to a gun with two is plain stupid! In my part of Wales the gun and hound packs carried out excellent pest control, and Carwyn Jones (now 1st Minister then the Rural secretary) stated on Welsh language radio during the discussions on the ban back in 2004, that there was a strong case for licensed hunting in Wales.

I feel the situation is unlikey to change though.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled