Fox Hunting with hounds.

Spara Dritto

166 members have voted

1. 1. Pro or anti fox hunting?

• Pro.
    • Anti.

What's peoples views on the riflemen that slaughter every fox in sight this time of year and leave the cubs to starve to death? :look:

that the cubs are less important than the farmers livelihood where it has to be done :good:

where possible we leave them and catch up with them afterwards, not always possible though.

Wymberley if you look at areas hunting is mostly effective you will work out it is sheep country now the huntsmen then see the effects usually of farmers with shotguns rather than rifles hence their views. Having taken my ex out on a days pheasant shooting she thought it was worse than anything she had seen in 15 years hunting. Its food for thought they had an argument maybe they spouted it more than needed but in the real world it is hard to argue. I don't know much about hunting but the little I do know is that you need to see it and learn about what actually happens to not be led astray by what you imagine to happen.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe people on here are quoting anti field sport comments.

'ripped to shreds', the fox is dead in an instant and then the dead body is ragged.

They said the same thing for hare coursing but how comes you can take the hare home to eat.

Chasing animals is natural and allows an animal to escape, it happens all their lives, if they took it the same way as us they would be extinct.

Atmost respect is given to the animal as if it gets away it gets away, unharmed.

I think alot of people have more experience of Countryfile than Countrysports.

Pro hunting i am, in my view you have not been hunting till you have been out with the fell packs in the lakes :good:

:good: :good: :good:

Spent many a year hunting with the Pennine Foxhounds, and lots of visits further north with the great Barry Todhunter and the Glencathra.

But then again that is 'proper' foxhunting, non of your namby pamby poncing about on horseback :rolleyes:

I watched the hunt every year as a child but always as a spectator and it seemed to me, and I suspect to many others, to be an elitist, slightly snobby affair. I grew up on a large farm and, agricultural wages being what they were, horse riding and the like were well out of reach for us. I now know many people who ride and are involved with hunting and they are far from snobs but I still don't 'support' hunting in the same way I don't support a particular football team.

Do I support hunting? No.

Should hunting have been banned? No, it was a popularist law and done very badly for the wrong reasons. Each to their own.

I can't believe people on here are quoting anti field sport comments.

'ripped to shreds', the fox is dead in an instant and then the dead body is ragged.

They said the same thing for hare coursing but how comes you can take the hare home to eat.

Chasing animals is natural and allows an animal to escape, it happens all their lives, if they took it the same way as us they would be extinct.

Atmost respect is given to the animal as if it gets away it gets away, unharmed.

I think alot of people have more experience of Countryfile than Countrysports.

100% agree mate :good:

I've been hunting for many years now and i do enjoy it. The job has to be done or otherwise there would be many more foxes around the place. But the hunt that i attend dont use horses funnily or enough :lol: :lol: :lol: . We have several men with shotguns and a master of the hounds walking after the hounds. :good: :good: :good: :good:

It really is the best FieldSport.

Big lesson we should all have learnt ALL fieldsports should stick together regardless of individual thoughts as the antis are clever and superbly organised that they will pick us all off one by one until theres just paint balling left !!

Agree 100%, should never have been banned. that's MY opinion.

Alan :)

This subject was brought up over a few beers, I asked the question, we chatted and this came along....

"muzzle the hounds... The chase commences, the adrenaline is pumping, the fox is running but no blood comes from the dog, but the bullet..."

I don't agree or disagree at this point but wish to hear what you have to say on the matter... (This is directed to the anti supporters)

Edited by Beretta Italy

i think you need to give a few more options on the poll berty........i dont disagree with fox hunting, i like shooting them as they are a pest, but what i do disagree with is.. them been hunted by 20 dogs and then getting ragged about its not fare!!

same goes for these lampers who use more than one or two dogs!!

thats my opinion anyway!! :good:

There are all sorts of pro and anti arguements but what the **** is NOT FARE meant to mean?

Is it fare a fox kills chickens/pigeons/pheasants/etc etc :hmm: , is it fare I put up fox snares, is it fare I stand 200-300yards away and use technology to help me shoot a fox?

Lots of very emotive thoughts going on ,a fox kills to feed it's own you put young birds down the fox sees food ,numbers do need to be kept down they are roaming into towns for food and then become aggressive with man in the town,then have to be trapped and released back in the country side,fox hunting is another country pursuit that generates jobs and keeps the country alive,is it barbaric? In easy words a animal dies,a pest?what is next partridge shooting?I personally love to see the hunt ,do I like the idea of a fox being torn apart,I could argue either way ,chances are it would be shot in the end

I used to go with my grandfather - he loved it. He didnt live to see the ban and for that I'm grateful. In truth it can be a bit brutal and whilst I think it should be legalised again for very good reasons - I would want to see self regulation to ensure its as 'clean' as it can be.

The hunted animal tends occassionally to be treated as a 'criminal'.

Would not legalise otter hunting and not keen on stag hunting but dont know enough about it to say firmly what I would do.

I have also become very interested in fox shooting but they were here first.

There is nothing like a boxing day meet, huning is a part of our heritage but then so is war.

• 4 weeks later...

i am pro hunting,and they can chace the ******* round all day for all i care, but do think they should let him go once he is in his hole an not dig him up. i know it sounds abit soft and they are doing a job but alot of people do it for sport 2 and if the fox gets to hole 1-0 to fox. just my thoughts

i'm 'pro' in the sense that i do not think it should have been banned

i dont ride horses, or like wearing red... and if i needed to i would rather shoot a fox - but i dont think it was anywhere near a heinous enough activity to ban it, i know it may look messy - but i do beleive its generally a fast death.

as others have said - there is a very strong argument that anyone involved in fieldsports should stick together - i know that if i applied the same warped logic (as used to ban it / spouted by the anti brigade) to most of the fieldsports i enjoy - i'm sure you could attempt to justify banning them - and this is just wrong.

LAC's i'm sure ran a campaign to ban fishing some time ago (correct me if i am wrong) - but all mention of this has been taken from their website - i'm sure a sneaky ploy to try and stop fishermen / shooters / the hunting fraternity from uniting on a common cause.

• 1 month later...

So there you are, rifle in hand and you take your shot. BADOOOOOM there goes an ear! You think, oh well i'll take another. BADOOOOOM There goes a bottom lip and a knee joint. The fox is trying its best to escape but hey!!! You got another shot ready. BADOOOOM and there goes a big lump of thigh and half its bum but still it wants to escape. BADOOOOM another one takes a whole foot off! BADOOOOOM there goes its bottom jaw and now its unable to move. You walk up to the animal and leaning close, you look it in the what you think is an eye and BADOOOOOM you make the kill because you are a rubbish shot and dont care about much thats alive really.

You bag up the vile creature and off you go to the pub to sing songs of blood and guts and get wasted with the mates that paid to watch you kill it.

All the above apart from the party time is cruel and needless.

You can do all of the above with a pack of hounds and put the creature through much the same torture.

certainly much better to learn how to shoot and where to shoot at. You can still have the party.

Unless you're the kind of person that likes to see a slow and bloody death.

I personally respect all life and cannot find enjoyment in pain and suffering.

If the only way to protect what you have is to kill then kill all you need to.

Hunting with hounds seems like a grotesque and antiquated way of getting together and having some fun with mates you want to show off to.

We all think and live differently to one another but who on here would take a long slow time and many bad shots to make a kill?

Not me for one. ONE CLEAN SHOT, ONE KILL

Edited by FXPCP

Have to admit it's not my cup of tea but the ban wasn't about animal welfare any more than hunting with hounds is about pest control.On the whole I think the ban should be repealed.

According to Robert Bucknell at a BASC meeting some months ago,the number of foxes killed has risen significantly since the ban.Why this is apparently so,I have no idea.

Big lesson we should all have learnt ALL fieldsports should stick together regardless of individual thoughts as the antis are clever and superbly organised that they will pick us all off one by one until theres just paint balling left !!

I haven't bothered reading the whole thread as it is summed up here. :good::good:

As someone who spent most his hunting life outside the UK, I don't quite get the whole fox hunting equestrian event.

However as a keen shooter, I can not condemn any other country persuit that doesn't quite fit my pre-conceived ideas.

The last amnesty I was subjected to(due to a change in the law), I was forced to surrender 14 firearms.

Some of the tripe I read here makes me think I will be surrendering more soon.

Edited by gsm1968

So there you are, rifle in hand and you take your shot. BADOOOOOM there goes an ear! You think, oh well i'll take another. BADOOOOOM There goes a bottom lip and a knee joint. The fox is trying its best to escape but hey!!! You got another shot ready. BADOOOOM and there goes a big lump of thigh and half its bum but still it wants to escape. BADOOOOM another one takes a whole foot off! BADOOOOOM there goes its bottom jaw and now its unable to move. You walk up to the animal and leaning close, you look it in the what you think is an eye and BADOOOOOM you make the kill because you are a rubbish shot and dont care about much thats alive really.

You bag up the vile creature and off you go to the pub to sing songs of blood and guts and get wasted with the mates that paid to watch you kill it.

You can do all of the above with a pack of hounds and put the creature through much the same torture.

certainly much better to learn how to shoot and where to shoot at. You can still have the party.

Hunting with hounds seems like a grotesque and antiquated way of getting together and having some fun with mates you want to show off to.

We all think and live differently to one another but who on here would take a long slow time and many bad shots to make a kill?

What a crock of **** :lol: Stick to plinking and keep your anti opinions to yourself.

Edited by dazza

...and that type of anti-hunting response is why it was banned in the first place :yes: . Suppose you are against grouse and pheasant shooting too? Not shooting them for 'protection' of anything are we? :sly:.

Still, at least empty beer cans in the garden 'die' with the first pellet, eh?

Wise up pal :hmm: - there's a big world out there you obviously know little about :yes: .

Wow.

You weren't being serious. Were you? :unsure:

FM

sorry, i don't like being rude..but when i read your answer, i looked at your profile and was expecting to see a 15/16 yr old, seeing as you are 49 i have to ask why you would want to join a shooting forum where you will hear and see pictures of dead animals, your criticism of the way 99.99% of us shoot is wrong, but that isn't really that hard to see when you read the threads,

If you are so anti against our sport and past time why pretend to come on here as a person who shoots ?

maybe you would be better to actually learn more about the countryside and the way it works,

most shooters on here will be help keeping a good balance in the country, None of us would love to see every fox rabbit pigeon gone, its all about keeping a good balance, in turn , this will help the farming community

and I can assure you, most of us would not burst out laughing at a kill and most of us only pull the trigger when we are 99% sure its a kill shot..

no one is 100% so your one shot one kill is utter ****...

jasp

Edited by jasper3

You can do all of the above with a pack of hounds and put the creature through much the same torture.certainly much better to learn how to shoot and where to shoot at. You can still have the party.

What a complete load of rot :wacko:

Shows how much you know or rather dont know :no:

Have you just been watching 'Chainsaw massacre' or some such blood and guts film?

I don't believe your comments are from the rational mind of a true fieldsportsman. :/

How would a fox die a slow death when caught by the hounds, you have no idea and spout rubbish you have heard from the antis.

Hunting with dogs has been going on longer than the concept of buying food from the shops and people are so detacted they can form an opinion on something they have never experienced.

People want to ban everything these days, before long all what is left will be shopping and working and twitter to tell people that you went to work and went shopping.