What chokes for clays?

Frenchieboy

Guest cookoff013

i was scaring my self with my o/u skeet setup, by shooting 70+ yard clays with cyl / cyl. i was using 1oz loads of 7.5s. i couldnt believe the lead i had to put on them. 20 meters.

usually i shoot cyl / cyl for skeet.

1/4 in the pump with steel shells. full with lead...

3/4 and extrafull in the fixed sxs. usially with #8s or so.

i like to see dustballs

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used my own "rough shooting guns" (Both SxS and O/U) which have usually been Full and Three Quarter chokes and I have come away with "average" scores, and I have also used one of the club's trap guns which (I believe) is choked at Half and Half and achieved slightly better results - This however could have been quite simply down to my shooting as I know we all have good days and bad days alike.

could it be that these borrowed guns fit better and more suited to you than the ones you have thats why your scores are better rather than the chokes causing it..just a thought

but on the choke front 1/4 and 1/2 is a good combination

Edited by yickdaz

Yes Yickdaz tthis is a possibility that I hadn't thought about. I do realise that gun fit is important and it is possible that the club guns are a slightly better fit for me!

I have just checked my current Sxs and found that it is 1/2 and 1/2 choke so I will be trying it at the clay grounds on Sunday morning!

Right that does it, I am going to order one of the 3/8th chokes today so I can stop feeling left out :cry1:

Question is, how much is a Teague internal choke for a Beretta 687 these days?

I have 2 Teague chokes 1/4 & 3/8 which are extended and Ported! :good: PITA to clean tho so dont reconmend them :oops:

I reckon you probably saved £20 by going direct. I'm getting the cast on my gun looked at there next week.

Not only that but I arrived on the doorstep this morning - top quality service, thanks Teague Chokes :thumbs:

Now I just need to test out the PW theory that there isn't a clay in the land that can't be missed with 1/4 and 3/8ths choke

Now I just need to test out the PW theory that there isn't a clay in the land that can't be missed with 1/4 and 3/8ths choke

That theory certainly isn't true! I could have one lying flat on the ground 10 yards in front of and still miss it whatever chokes I used! :blush::blush:

A J (Smoker) Smith (RIP) commented in a shooting mag in the late 70s pick your favorite two chokes dip in water fit in gun and ******* forget all about them. didnt stop me fiddling with my chokes at sporting stands over 35 yrs.Its all in the mind.

• 5 months later...

At my local club a number of clays need at least 1/2 choke - roughly 3/10 stands NEED 1/2 or more.

I had an over head going away bird and a long distant midi crosser that just wouldn't break with 1/4, tried 4 - 5 times on each stand week or so ago (Both different stands).

I then changed barrel selector to 1/2 and didn't miss once...

Saying that, after thinking about it - they were both edge on... Face on 1/4 may have done it.

Edited by Beretta Italy

Depends where you shoot,what level you're shooting at and why you're shooting.

If you're a 'straw bale shooter' looking to get a maximum score,1/4 & 1/4 will do you just fine.Similarly if you're a novice,you'll start with more open chokes.

When you begin to improve,to refine your shooting skills,you'll need to choke up more in order to get better kills(more accuracy),test yourself and improve.So you may shoot your 'straw bales' with 1/2 & 1/2 or 1/2 & 3/4.Then progress on to competition,should you wish to.

If you're a competition shooter,depending again on your level of competency and if you're worried about quality of kills rather than just a score,you'll use more choke.At the moment my preference is 1/2 & 3/4,but thinking of switching it up to 3/4 & 3/4.Im by no means a great shot,but in order to improve,I need to test myself and get the right sight pictures.Sure,you can kill a crosser at 30yds with 1/4 choke,but you'll learn a lot more by smoking it with 3/4.

I don't know if many of you pattern your guns,or test your chokes at different ranges.I do.A 1/4 choke at 50yds is not impressive.

So,its really an individual thing,depending on your goals.'Spray and pray' to get a score immediately and learn sweet FA (once you know the basics).Or choke up,forget your score temporarily,learn and improve....if thats what you want to do.

I must be missing something. Is it only when you improve,that you appreciate choke?

The truly great Duncan Lawton won the World FITASC Championship using a mere 1/2 choke. He was hardly a "straw baler".

Maybe George Digweed and Richard Faulds can get away with tight chokes, but very few targets that you will ever encounter on a sporting layout would need more than 3/8. Progressing to 1/2 and 3/4 seems more than a little odd. Why not jump to full and extra full and cut out the "learning curve"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

At my local club a number of clays need at least 1/2 choke - roughly 3/10 stands NEED 1/2 or more.

I had an over head going away bird and a long distant midi crosser that just wouldn't break with 1/4, tried 4 - 5 times on each stand week or so ago (Both different stands).

I then changed barrel selector to 1/2 and didn't miss once...

Saying that, after thinking about it - they were both edge on... Face on 1/4 may have done it.

I bet they don't need half. I bet they could be broken with quarter.

Gordon R. This is why I say it depends on your goals. I dont just want to break clays,I want to downright grind them up,then I know my sight pictures and gun fit are smack on. I agree,there isn't a clay that can't be broken with 1/2 but "breaking" isn't my goal. What are you truly learning killing a 50yd bird with 1/4? I don't find it odd wanting to learn.

If you are indeed looking to learn, your first lesson might well be that more choke isn't necessarily the answer.

What are you truly learning killing a 50yd bird with 1/4? I don't find it odd wanting to learn.

What are you learning by killing a 50 yard bird with 3/4?

What are you learning by killing a 50 yard bird with full?

What are you learning by killing a 50 yard bird with extra full?

If you are willing to learn, that is a good start. Referring to "straw balers" in disdainful terms, is not a good start.

You need to read what you have written.

As for

Using a tighter choke,you're acquiring a better sight picture of where you need to be in order to kill the bird.

Just how does choke affect you "sight picture"?

You might mean well, but I have to laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: