Moderated airgun with open sights for short range pigeons

Folderol

Again thanks for all the info chaps (chapetts?). I've taken quite a lot on board.

I've now bought a used (like new) 0.22 XB78 from a nearby scuba shop, "go-dive" in spondon. Delux model with 4x scope, bag, 10 caplets and a tin of pellets for £99.00. Bought a range right multifit silencer, which seemed pricy at £35.00, but was well made, easy to fit and noticably quieter when dry firing.

Had a look at a new Ratcatcher and was quite taken with its size & weight. However price new would have taken me over my budget after I'd sourced a silencer & adaptor. Also very short sight base for opens and the scope it came with was insultingly bad, could have come out of a cracker.

The XB together with the used moderated BSA Supersport 1.77 i bought last week covers all the angles pretty much.

I'll use the 0.22 XB in the barn and the 0.177 BSA out and about.

XB78 (inc bag & scope) £99.00

Silencer £35.00

BSA Supersport (inc bag, scope & silencer) £170

Total: £304.00

So only £4 over my budget but I got two guns instead of one. You may notice neither has open sights but hey. May save up for a low power scope 1.5 to 4 or some such as I find +3 or +4 uncomfortable when shooting both eyes open.

Again many thanks to all those who contributed.

I agree; the Ratcatcher is absolutely brilliant for the money (or I'd have sold mine years ago) but I upgraded the scope to a Walther 4x20 which is loads better. From 15 to 25 yards its a one-hole printing machine with FT Trophy's of all unlikely, slightly heaveier than expected pellets. Accupell work well too, but the trophys have excellent clout at short range :yp:

Edited by The Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

I have got a Chines knock off AR2078 to get rid of for an old lady whose son left it behind when her moved out. 2xCO2 cartridge or comes with a bottle convesion. Single shot in .177 calibre. Has open sitghts and a SMK 3.9 x 40 optical.

Industry Brand AR2078 = based on QB78 ?

The only one I can find sold on PW went for £70 but this has a scope fitted so £90 seems about right. I think I am near you in East Midlands. PM me if interested.

Also have a .177 Webley Hurricane to get rid of for the same reason. £90 ono, perfect condition harldy used.

I tried to post the rifle in Gun Watch but didn't get a reply back on how to post a " Open to offers" instead of a price.

I have pictures but I think this post may get, moved so pm me.

Edited by harpoonlouis