The Defender Goes "Knock knock knock"

Billy.

I feel bad writing a 4x4 topic on here, as it's not an off road forum. However, I never feel like a get a proper answer on the other Landy forums.

Anyway... I've got this knocking sound coming from the rear. Potentially the diff, but it's hard to tell.

Basically, when I pull away I sometimes get a knocking sound. Not straight away, but usually after I go to second. I was convinced it was the diff, as I also get a knocking if I turn left and right after pulling away.

I've followed some guidance about knocking it into diff lock and rolling down a hill, then swapping back to high range. However it's not helped.

Any ideas, as I literally wince everytime I hear the knock, knowing it'll probably fall to bits soon :lol:

sounds very like the universal joints. Checking is easy if you know how. The landy has to be on level ground, and it has to be in neutral with the hand break off.

If it is in gear or has the hand break on you may not see movement in the propshaft UJ, but like this it will be obvious when you try to turn the propshaft by hand.

Replacing is cheap and easy

Thanks all for your replies.

I'll have a look at the UJs this evening with a mate of mine who's a bit of a Landy geek.

Looking online it's a cheap fix, for a change. :rolleyes:

is the knocking when you turn right and left the same noise from the rear or could it be more up front?

Hopefully the rear noise is UJ's or sounds expensive

No, it's all coming from the back at the same area.

This may sound daft but have you checked that the exhaust isnt knocking against the underside - I know its trivial but worth checking. Get someone to grab the tail pipe and move it around whilst you sit inside, see if the noise is the same....

again I know its probably something you have thought of but may have been overlooked faced with the thought of diff doom.

Other options could be mounts gearbox/engine even suspension just because its usually when you select second doesnt automatically make it a gearbox/diff/prop shaft problem

It does happen in first too.. It just depends what I'm doing.

Say if I come out of the driveway and keep in first. Give it a little juice and then let off the accelerator, which would give a bit of a jolt as the engine slows the car, it'll make it then, which I would guess, points to the prop shaft.

Edited by Billy.

its something slack in the drive train in that case, UJ's are easy options but could b wear in that diff. was it a new one or a second hand one?

Isn't that landy about the same age as my truck? If so you don't want to know how many problems I've had in the last 10k since I've had it :lol:

as all of the above to check first but will add transfer box input gear / shaft worn ...sorry to say, easy to check just unbolt the blanking plate at the top rear of the box ( 6 or 7 bolts round plate) and remove the gear, clean it up and check the internal splines for wear, same for the shaft, typically a well worn gear and shaft will give a heavy clunk noise like something jumping around underneath as you change gear, almost like the box is going to fall out :lol:

Edited by Paul223

Thanks all.

It was really annoying because my mate who is a Landy mechanic didn't get to hear the noise, as I couldn't get it to happen once he sat in the car. Typical :angry:

Drove it a couple of miles and it happened again :(

One thing I did notice is that I turned left and it did sound further over to one side, but still sounds like it's right at the back. :unsure:

Edited by Billy.

Hi Someone did mintion this before, but have you looked at the 'A Frame' ball joint on the rear axle. Bit of a cow to change. I've got a spare mounting that goes between the arms so I can push a new one in before taking the car off the road. It's just a simple nut and bolt job then. You'll need a 32mm socket IIRC and a big drift and a FOBH (3 lb lump is my prefered weapon).

Fit the Delphi (OEM) not cheep rubbish http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Suspension/A_Frame_ball_joint_-_Delphi_Lockheed.html

However could be wear in the drive flanges/ half shafts, another common place for backlash although it will be there all the time (as mine is at the moment)

Happy hunting

Tony