Size is everything

DrQ

I am pretty much a Mr Average… 5 feet 9 tall (without shoes), 11 & a half stone (in

my pants) and size 8 feet (used to be a 9?!) . Almost everything is proportioned correctly (I would like to think)….BUT I have just been told, by a very reputable & well respected CPSA instructor, that the stock on my 325 Sporter is about 2 inches too short for me. I have also been told by a very reputable & well respected gun dealer that that is nonsense….?! I have only been shooting since September of last year, so am still in the shallow end of the clay pigeon swimming pool of confusion, and I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep my head above the water!!... WHY WILL NO TWO PEOPLE AGREE ON ANY ONE THING?

Anyway….My stock is 14 inches and for what its worth, my right arm from pit to tip is 23 inches…… CAN ANYONE HELP?

Cheers

DrQ

Edited by DrQ

Guest cookoff013

arm length has little to do with it.

i would trust the shooting coach not a shop. you can put on a 2" pad and try shooting, it will alter the poi.

i still find it funny, when guys came in to a shop, "i used to shoot a 34" barrel, i`ve now got a 24" gun, can you put a 10" pad on the back so they are the same length?"

i`d ask your coach if he can set up some targets to check the poi is right. this should be a flat away shot. no lead. if you can hit that at 30 yards then its on.

See if anyone in you club has a gun with a longer stock you can try before touching yours. Does the instructor have a try gun he could set up for you.

I had a pad put onto my standard 687 stock, bloody disaster, made me shoot high. Had the stock shortened then the pad readded back to standard length, far better, don't miss many pheasants now,

A

Having through experience learnt to be a cynic, you just have to answer one question; who sold you the gun? Ignore the opinion of which of the two it was.

Let's assume that leaves the coach. Assuming you have no peculiar deformity that you haven't mentioned, 15" would be nearer the mark. 16" would be reserved for some poor unfortunate with a neck like a giraffe and the arms of a gorilla; or someone who is just plain big. So, it seems that you should ignore him as well.

Welcome to the club! You can now remain totally confused in the sure and certain knowledge that you are exactly the same as the rest of us!