Cigars

AVB

A week or so ago I purchased my first humidor. I then spent a few days priming it and getting the humidity right and then stocked it with a supply of Romeo Y Julieta short Churchill Cuban cigars. A few more days for them to acclimatise and this afternoon I savoured my first one. Beautiful flavour - peppery. Burnt like a dream.

Not sure how many to limit myself to per week.

i dont smoke either , but whilst in havanna we had to go to various shops just to get a sense of the places . loverly cool wooden clad rooms with the expensive ones behind big glass doors . free light rum while you sit in the bay windows and light up your purchases . great places which i would recomend if you get to cuba . x

i dont smoke either , but whilst in havanna we had to go to various shops just to get a sense of the places . loverly cool wooden clad rooms with the expensive ones behind big glass doors . free light rum while you sit in the bay windows and light up your purchases . great places which i would recomend if you get to cuba . x

Yeh i'd love to go to Cuba to see the cigar factories... Old women sitting puffing away while rolling big fat cigars :D

Romeo y Julieta are nice. I tend to go for a No.3. At the moment I have been smoking Trinidad. Not sure what type or number it is but they are a very nice smoke. My all time favourite has to be Cohiba Siglo No.1. Trouble is at the mo, my cigar guy (who runs a small chain of proper wine merchants around West Kent) is struggling to get these ones in, hence why I've been on the Trinidad's. I think I bought the last one the other so will haveto see what else he has available.

He's very hot on keeping the humidors in tip top condition. I would love to try a Cohiba Behike.

AVB, just out of interest, how much did your set up cost?

Edited by Doc Holliday

Yeh i'd love to go to Cuba to see the cigar factories... Old women sitting puffing away while rolling big fat cigars :D

before television , in the "factorys" a young girl would sit in front of the rows of women reding aloud a novel of some sort . it kept the women focussed apparently .

and it is possible to have one rolled on a young ladies thigh but it doesnt roll as good as a good wooden block !

Cohiba is my favourite cigar.

Be very careful when sourcing cigars, I made the grave mistake of asking someone to bring me back a box from Cuba. Came In a very nice wooden box with a glass lid and stored them in my humidor along with a collection of about fifty odd good quality cigars I had collected over time.

Turned out the vicars my friend bought me were infected with a bug, and having not noticed I took out one of the new cigars and lit it for a smoke one summer evening. Straight away I noticed the flavour wasn't as it should be and within twenty minutes this cigar was finished, where as the ones purchased over here were a good hours smoke.

Checking the box to have a closer look at the new cigars I noticed they were covered in tiny holes. Looking further into my collection all but about 6 were infested!

I should have known better when I paid £100 for 25 when over here my supplier was charging me £260 fo the same thing!

Ended up throwing all of them away and had to put my humidor in a chest freezer for about two weeks to make sure it was clear of infection......

Romeo y Julieta are nice. I tend to go for a No.3. At the moment I have been smoking Trinidad. Not sure what type or number it is but they are a very nice smoke. My all time favourite has to be Cohiba Siglo No.1. Trouble is at the mo, my cigar guy (who runs a small chain of proper wine merchants around West Kent) is struggling to get these ones in, hence why I've been on the Trinidad's. I think I bought the last one the other so will haveto see what else he has available.

He's very hot on keeping the humidors in tip top condition. I would love to try a Cohiba Behike.

AVB, just out of interest, how much did your set up cost?

Not as much as I thought it would.

I was in Dubai so took advantage of Duty Free. Not many things in Dubai are cheaper than UK but the cigars appeared to be.

Without checking my credit card statement I think the humidor was US$180, the Short Churchill's were US$250 for 25 and I also bought 10 RYJ Mille Fleurs for US$50 (apparently the best machine rolled cigars). I don't know what I can get hold of in India (there is apparently a booming cigar scene here) so I will probably have to wait until I'm back in London.

Help.

I lit one up and it didn't burn right or taste right. It tasted dry and the wrapper started to unwrap as it burnt. Has it dried out?

Humidor still says 60% but the sponge was dry (I think). In which case it has dried out in only a couple of days. I've topped it up.

It is warm here and there is no where I can keep it cool. Could I put the humidor in the fridge?

It sounds like it's dried out then been re-hydrated to be honest. If they haven't been stored right at every stage of the supply chain before you got them then they're f u c k e d.

I know this sounds a bit weird but wrap one up in a (not 100% airtight) bag with a couple of dry (not 'dried') cabbage or lettuce leaves for a couple of days and try it then.

It sounds like it's dried out then been re-hydrated to be honest. If they haven't been stored right at every stage of the supply chain before you got them then they're f u c k e d.

I know this sounds a bit weird but wrap one up in a (not 100% airtight) bag with a couple of dry (not 'dried') cabbage or lettuce leaves for a couple of days and try it then.

ffffff********** The first couple were great so I hope it's not that they have been dried and then re-hydrated. :no: I don't have any cabbage or lettuce leaves. In fact I don't have any 'live' food in the house. Tins only. I don't suppose a tin of baked beans will have the same effect? Or some dates?

Clearly something wrong with that one. It went out pretty quickly but I didn't want to smoke it anyway.

Do not put cigars in a fridge it will totally pork them :(

I have a nice collection of Cohiba Esplendidos and still have a few Partagas Lusitanias left. I got the Cohibas from my friend in Florida who knows a man (etc. etc.), given the price I paid I was gob-smacked to see they were genuine and had been properly stored unlike the fakes my know-it-all friend brought back from Cuba, another box of bug infested junk, he was very surprised when they started getting spots on them :)

I make my own humidor fluid, 50/50 of distilled water and propylene glycol (colourless food additive) kills bacteria and hold humidity to around 70% very nicely :D

If you do get an infection from other cigars you can try the following,

What can be done to prevent the Tobacco Beetle from infesting my stash, and what can I do if they have already stricken?

Fortunately, these bugs do not like freezing cold temperatures. You can place the cigars in the freezer for 4 days. The freezing cold temperature will kill off all the bugs and its larvae. However, there is a strict procedure that must be adhered to in order to prevent the complete ruination of your collection. First, take all the cigars and place them in airtight plastic bags. If there is even the slightest gap in the seals the cigars will lose all humidity and be destroyed. I repeat this procedure twice more, so that the cigars are protected by three layers of plastic. Place the package in the freezer and leave it there for 4 days. Meanwhile, you can thoroughly wipe down the inside of the humidor (using distilled water, of course). Make sure there are no little critters hiding in the corner. Once the 4 days have passed, take the package out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Be very careful when handling the package, as the cigars will be very brittle. After this time in the fridge, take them out and let them warm up to room temperature. This will take at least 4-6 hours. The larger the package, the longer it will take to get the core to rise to room temperature. Once this is done, you can now replace your sterilized smokes back into the humidor.

I have a nice collection of Cohiba Esplendidos and still have a few Partagas Lusitanias left. I got the Cohibas from my friend in Florida who knows a man (etc. etc.), given the price I paid I was gob-smacked to see they were genuine and had been properly stored unlike the fakes my know-it-all friend brought back from Cuba, another box of bug infested junk, he was very surprised when they started getting spots on them :)

I make my own humidor fluid, 50/50 of distilled water and propylene glycol (colourless food additive) kills bacteria and hold humidity to around 70% very nicely :D

What can be done to prevent the Tobacco Beetle from infesting my stash, and what can I do if they have already stricken?

Fortunately, these bugs do not like freezing cold temperatures. You can place the cigars in the freezer for 4 days. The freezing cold temperature will kill off all the bugs and its larvae. However, there is a strict procedure that must be adhered to in order to prevent the complete ruination of your collection. First, take all the cigars and place them in airtight plastic bags. If there is even the slightest gap in the seals the cigars will lose all humidity and be destroyed. I repeat this procedure twice more, so that the cigars are protected by three layers of plastic. Place the package in the freezer and leave it there for 4 days. Meanwhile, you can thoroughly wipe down the inside of the humidor (using distilled water, of course). Make sure there are no little critters hiding in the corner. Once the 4 days have passed, take the package out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Be very careful when handling the package, as the cigars will be very brittle. After this time in the fridge, take them out and let them warm up to room temperature. This will take at least 4-6 hours. The larger the package, the longer it will take to get the core to rise to room temperature. Once this is done, you can now replace your sterilized smokes back into the humidor.

Cracking post Gromit :good:

Edited by Thunderbird

Thanks. The problem is, I think, that the temperature in my appartment probably hits 50 degrees during the day whilst nobody is around and therefore no aircon on. I just don't think the humidor can can cope with that and is therefore cooking the cigars.

I will put the humidor in one of the small rooms and leave the aircon-on. See if that helps.

Phaedra has described this procedure well but didn't add the following -For god sake don't do this as a precautionary measure people ! the cigars will be smokeable after this process but they won't be at their best.

As a recommendation from a cigar afficionardo -Try a Hoyo De Monterey Double Corona by Hoyo de Monterey, Cigar Manufacturers by apointment to Canis.

Part of me would like to be able to enjoy a cigar but even light smoake often turns my stomach.

Aged 14 i tryed smoking and proceeded to vomit every where and have never touched anything since as just the smell turns my stomach.

:blush:

I had much the same experience, older brother persuaded me to try cigarettes when I was about 10 or 11, really bad idea, I was "not well" for quite a while :D

Strangely cigars don't have that effect on me, I can quite happily sit and relax (outside of course as my kids would kill me) with a book and a good cigar :)

As to freezing new cigars I would agree with Canis, but, if I get given anything I am suspicious of and they aren't vastly expensive I will freeze them first, however, if they are good cigars I put them in a large plastic box (Tupperware type) with a sponge and leave them for a few weeks to make sure they aren't infected before putting them into the humidor.

All this talk of cigars has just reminded me that there's a place in Tarpon Springs on the Gulf Coast that does nice cigars using Cuban seed tobacco imported from Nicaragua and The Dominican Republic,

http://www.serafincigars.com/index.html

I was given a couple of Serafin de Cuba Corona last year and was surprised how nice they were, and at about £65 for 25 they are quite cheap!, I think a visit is in order as we are over there on hols for the next couple of weeks :)

Edited by phaedra1106