The garden

JustJon

Gents, a multitude of issues, wonder if you can help.

Problem 1 - I appear to have rat holes down the bottom of the garden. Three near the back fence, 1 near the left fence. I've put poles in 2 and a brick loosely in another to see if more appear or these obstacles get moved.

Any advice for dealing with them? It's a rented house and the garden was over run when we moved in, I've sorted most of that out today, the exception being the compost heap

The dog has been 'rolling' down there and getting shouted at, I assumed she was rolling in cat muck as a cat sits on that nce, clearly not.

So that Problem 2 - see the photos below. Nettles growing all over it, a big tree branch thrown in for good measure. For low cost, no cost how do I solve the problem? Don't want to spend too much as not my garden forever and the landlord is refusing me a skip. (there's a load of rubbish in the garage that I've had to put in the wheelie bin!)

Then problem 3 - there's a brush cutter on the garage that I can't get working. Got petrol in it, tried pushing the primer button 3 times, setting switch to on at engine, switch to off at controls and pulling cord. No luck. Any thoughts? Anything I should check?

As you casee, I'm not the greatest gardener ever but with a newborn want the garden nice for my girlfriend to spend time in this summer. I've even managed to put chicken wire over the gate today so the dog stops escaping! A rare man-feat for me indeed!

Problem 1 - I appear to have rat holes down the bottom of the garden. Three near the back fence, 1 near the left fence. I've put poles in 2 and a brick loosely in another to see if more appear or these obstacles get moved.

Any advice for dealing with them? It's a rented house and the garden was over run when we moved in, I've sorted most of that out today, the exception being the compost heap

The dog has been 'rolling' down there and getting shouted at, I assumed she was rolling in cat muck as a cat sits on that nce, clearly not.

So that Problem 2 - see the photos below. Nettles growing all over it, a big tree branch thrown in for good measure. For low cost, no cost how do I solve the problem? Don't want to spend too much as not my garden forever and the landlord is refusing me a skip. (there's a load of rubbish in the garage that I've had to put in the wheelie bin!)

Then problem 3 - there's a brush cutter on the garage that I can't get working. Got petrol in it, tried pushing the primer button 3 times, setting switch to on at engine, switch to off at controls and pulling cord. No luck. Any thoughts? Anything I should check?

Ok how do I upload photos? Really not my day!

As you can see, I'm not the greatest gardener ever but with a newborn want the garden nice for my girlfriend to spend time in this summer. I've even managed to put chicken wire over the gate today so the dog stops escaping! A rare man-feat for me indeed!

I assume it'a 2 stroke.Try putting a fresh petrol mix in the tank. Petrol goes off with age.

Vic.

As you casee, I'm not the greatest gardener ever but with a newborn want the garden nice for my girlfriend to spend time in this summer. I've even managed to put chicken wire over the gate today so the dog stops escaping! A rare man-feat for me indeed!

How long you been there with the dog ? the cat should soon learn to go elsewhere.

Rats : B&Q do a good range of bait boxes, traps and poison, snap type rat traps start at about 6-8 pounds each

If you think you have that many rats then poison is the answer, you might get one or two with an air rifle but they'll breed quicker than you can knock em off.

Brush cutter : Have a careful look at it, somewhere it usually says what fuel/oil ratio it runs on, on the engine, on the plate or on the fuel tank lid/cap, try putting some fresh in, are you able to take the spark plug out and just give it a light brush with a bit of sandpaper(or similar)

Thanks fellas, appreciate it.

I'll pick some one shot up tomorrow and change the petrol. Spark plug looked good, I had it out and had a quick look, no signs of damp or off colour.

As for the cat, the dogs only been in the garden when we have as it wasn't secured. Can go out as often as she likes now that were all secure :good:

Rats, think I'll try some traps first and see if I get anything. Would rather not start using poison - cats, birds and dogs. Had a flick through the forum, might try a trap. Got some sewage piping that's never been used. I'll lay that down that end of the garden, block the ends up so dog can't get in and out a trap inside? Does that sound like a plan?

What might be attracting the rats into my garden? Thoughts? :no:

Thanks fellas, appreciate it.

I'll pick some one shot up tomorrow and change the petrol. Spark plug looked good, I had it out and had a quick look, no signs of damp or off colour.

As for the cat, the dogs only been in the garden when we have as it wasn't secured. Can go out as often as she likes now that were all secure :good:

Rats, think I'll try some traps first and see if I get anything. Would rather not start using poison - cats, birds and dogs. Had a flick through the forum, might try a trap. Got some sewage piping that's never been used. I'll lay that down that end of the garden, block the ends up so dog can't get in and out a trap inside? Does that sound like a plan?

What might be attracting the rats into my garden? Thoughts? :no:

Food and shelter!!!Remove as much of both as possible.At least disturb or flatten shelter.

Nail on the head! Chickens attract rats, its unavoidable. Your place is clearly a 'rat run' where they run between the neighbours and their chickens either side of you. A home in your back garden would seem ideal for them.

LEave them no place for cover, deploy traps and poisons in dog/cat proof baiting stations.

Good luck! :yes::good:

I wonder why small holders with chickens aren't held to the same laws as commercial operators... Mouse and rat baiting plans with professionally trained vermin controllers.

Grrrrr, rant over. Thanks for the suggestions. Might pull the compost heap to bits tomorrow and make sure theres no nest in the middle.