NUT Teachers strike

jacksdad

How big would a teachers pension built up over 30 years service need to be to match the bonuses still being paid out to bankers

Alternatively how many teachers pensions could theoretically be paid for life by the bonuses paid by one bank this year?

Why are we being brainwashed into thinking bankjing is immune to cuts or penalties?

Oh come on get real. How many job cuts have there been in the banking industry over the past few years - tens of thousands. Yes tens of thousands. A lot being offshored. There is nobody who works for a Bank who is secure in their job.

but bankers, especially at the top end where the rewards are greater, are not being asked to work longer to get less, they have caused the problems and are still paying out massive bonuses, even if a small number at the top have lost their jobs they will have made enough in the short term to set them up for life.

I don't remember public sector workers having multimillion pound bonus payouts handed to them, they didn't cause the problems or get the rewards but suddenly its a case of "we are all in it together" I don't see many top earners losing out, the wealthiest have seen their value increase by 30% Sunday Times report

Perhaps it should be more of a "we're (almost/nearly/not quite) all in it together - especially if you're an easy target but not if you happen to be rich" :/

Edited by Willxx

but bankers, especially at the top end where the rewards are greater, are not being asked to work longer to get less, they have caused the problems and are still paying out massive bonuses, even if a small number at the top have lost their jobs they will have made enough in the short term to set them up for life.

I don't remember public sector workers having multimillion pound bonus payouts handed to them, they didn't cause the problems or get the rewards but suddenly its a case of "we are all in it together" I don't see many top earners losing out, the wealthiest have seen their value increase by 30% Sunday Times report

Perhaps it should be more of a "we're (almost/nearly/not quite) all in it together - especially if you're an easy target but not if you happen to be rich" :/

The very top earners are not the same people who were around during the crisis. They have all all gone. You could take all the bonuses away from the top guys but what would that give you £50mln? Sorry but's not going to go far. It might sound a lot but it really won't go far. Take Stephen Hester of RBS. He will get £7.7mln this year, the most of it in share options. (don't forget that the government take 50% of that anyway). Now he was bought in by the government to run the bank. He would have agreed with them in advance what he expected for doing the job.

As for the UK's richest survey. By no means are all of these people Bankers. And regardless most of the increase in their value is due to the increase in their investments not in take home pay.

And I'm sorry but the public sector did help cause the problem. The Libour party overspending to fund the investment in the public sector was more of a cause that the banks. I'm not saying that the banks were blameless but Libour were the major cause. And the public sector benefited from that.

So yes we all do have to share the pain. Trust me I am.

Out of interest why do teachers work in the Public Sector? I am sure you could earn more working at a Private School.

berties, would you really give your left testicle? is that just a stupid phrase or a fact?

So Yellow Bear are you saying the health service have not or ever been on strike? or will not? watch this space. I would love to know your job and position. All words when your not affected, come on give me your sob story about what you have lost?

Shaun, remind me when you were affected by being a government employee, can you comment on it, NHS, police, teaching?

As a teacher my pension is based on 80th's, so after 40 years sevice I get 50% pension and pay quiet a lot each month. Compare that to most government employees, a lot of private pensions and you will get a shock as to 'how well off' teachers are on a pension.

I love my job, would never change it, ever, but keep in mind that I get holidays (that parents hate), and an OK wage set against my qualifications / time spend at Uni, but you will never hear me moaning about it, but at 70?.....................................

Ive never been affected by the public sector, i always worked in the private sector.

when ill health forced me out of work i got 10 weeks basic sick pay then i took redundancy....didnt really want to but couldnt afford not to. had i been in the public sector i would still be employed albeit on the sick and having a far far better lifestyle than i have now.

i was contracted to do 48 hours a week, days/nights/weekends with 25 days holiday a year....

Dont get him started on childcare.... :blink:

The Libour party overspending to fund the investment in the public sector was more of a cause that the banks. I'm not saying that the banks were blameless but Libour were the major cause. And the public sector benefited from that.

So yes we all do have to share the pain. Trust me I am.

your right labour were to blame, to blame for not regulating the poker playing tactics of the banks,

still as you say the bankers and public sector workers are all in it together and sharing the pain, heres a pic of the pain being shared

KW

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/03/grinning-deutsche-bank-staff-wave-money-at-nhs-protesters/

Sorry but I'm very much of the opinion that the rich will always look after themselves and the rest of us will get shafted one way or another. "A Pension (in France) in hand is worth 2 UK pensioners living in a bush"

I think it would be a completely different set of "austerity measures" if it was being suggested for example that MP's should give up all claims to any other pension rights if they took up their MP's pension

Being a teacher myself ( a young one at that) but also a parent, whilst not being agest i would not want my kids to be taught by a 70 year old. TBH you would not want your granny or grandad to put up with the **** teachers have to put up with these days, what you hear in the press isn't even 1% of what happens.

Stick to what you know about (moaning?)

Mark (NASUWT member).

Again, well said! I retired in 1995 (Joined NAS in 1965, before the enforced petticoat invasion) It's not a cushy job and gets damn well harder as time goes by; and why do folk talk out of their bums about 'all that paid holiday'? It isn't; it's a salary, split into 12 monthly payments. (and some don't know the difference between this and 'wages')

I spent most of my so called 'holidays' marking coursework - and often fell asleep doing it!

...and 'pension'? Some of my colleagues passed away before collecting it, or survived for only a short time.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Again, well said! I retired in 1995 (Joined NAS in 1965, before the enforced petticoat invasion) It's not a cushy job and gets damn well harder as time goes by; and why do folk talk out of their bums about 'all that paid holiday'? It isn't; it's a salary, split into 12 monthly payments. (and some don't know the difference between this and 'wages')

I spent most of my so called 'holidays' marking coursework - and often fell asleep doing it!

...and 'pension'? Some of my colleagues passed away before collecting it, or survived for only a short time.

Nope I don't get it. You get a salary and you get three months off during the year. Most people get a salary and get one to one and a half months off. Can you explain why you feel that you are not better of than somebody who gets less holiday?

And that's the short straw with pensions. Sometimes you don't get to collect it. Do more teachers die young than other professions? Is that what you are insinuating? I don't know just asking.

Nope I don't get it. You get a salary and you get three months off during the year. Most people get a salary and get one to one and a half months off. Can you explain why you feel that you are not better of than somebody who gets less holiday?

And that's the short straw with pensions. Sometimes you don't get to collect it. Do more teachers die young than other professions? Is that what you are insinuating? I don't know just asking.

We may well get 3 months holiday a year which is a lot more than many other jobs. However as a teacher I work around 60 hours a week as do most of my collegues. When you divide this out over the course of a year taking into account a "normal" 5 weeks off it works out at around 48 hours a week.

How many hours a week do you work?

You also probably have the added benefit of being able to decide WHEN you take your holidays therefore avoiding paying peak prices all the time.

You probably do not have to work at home during your holidays which I can assure you many teacher do. I will have spent three days of my easter break working this time round.

We may well get 3 months holiday a year which is a lot more than many other jobs. However as a teacher I work around 60 hours a week as do most of my collegues. When you divide this out over the course of a year taking into account a "normal" 5 weeks off it works out at around 48 hours a week.

How many hours a week do you work?

You also probably have the added benefit of being able to decide WHEN you take your holidays therefore avoiding paying peak prices all the time.

You probably do not have to work at home during your holidays which I can assure you many teacher do. I will have spent three days of my easter break working this time round.

Well since you ask. An short day for me is 12 hours. 14 hours isn't unusual. I am on my blackberry or laptop for another 2-4 hours/day. I am usually in the office for a few hours on Saturday. Sunday I limit myself to a couple of hours. So in all a very realistic 80+ hours/week. Let's knock off a few hours for being on PW and call it 78+. And oh for the luxury of not having to work during my 5 weeks holiday. I dream of that. I take my holidays to fit around the children's school holidays. As you do!

Well since you ask. An short day for me is 12 hours. 14 hours isn't unusual. I am on my blackberry or laptop for another 2-4 hours/day. I am usually in the office for a few hours on Saturday. Sunday I limit myself to a couple of hours. So in all a very realistic 80+ hours/week. Let's knock off a few hours for being on PW and call it 78+. And oh for the luxury of not having to work during my 5 weeks holiday. I dream of that. I take my holidays to fit around the children's school holidays. As you do!

love it when I hear the moan 12 to 14 hours is not unusual sat in an office then another 2 -4 on the balckberry, ooh it must be hell,sat on your harris now thats tough, try crippling yourself at an early age through swinging a 10lb keying hammer 12 hours a day 7 days a week or shoveling 40tons of ballast by hand,I did, then took a chance and got out, worked hard got a job that paid and paid well and built a pension for the future :good: ( still not sat on my harris mind)and I still would not touch a teachers job with a barge pole, bankers and corrupt politicians killed this country economically not hardworking people like teachers or council workers ( fancy working for just above the min wage? thought not) time for a little humility here me thinks, or should bankers truly be spelt with a W ?

KW

love it when I hear the moan 12 to 14 hours is not unusual sat in an office then another 2 -4 on the balckberry, ooh it must be hell,sat on your harris now thats tough, try crippling yourself at an early age through swinging a 10lb keying hammer 12 hours a day 7 days a week or shoveling 40tons of ballast by hand,I did, then took a chance and got out, worked hard got a job that paid and paid well and built a pension for the future :good: ( still not sat on my harris mind)and I still would not touch a teachers job with a barge pole, bankers and corrupt politicians killed this country economically not hardworking people like teachers or council workers ( fancy working for just above the min wage? thought not) time for a little humility here me thinks, or should bankers truly be spelt with a W ?

KW

I couldn't teach kids and wouldn't want to. Could probably have swung a hammer and shovelled ballast when I was younger. Didn't want to although. Don't give me that don't know what hard work is lark.

And I wasn't moaning just asking why teachers felt so hard done by. I don't have to work for just above the minimum wage and neither do teachers nor do a lot of council workers.

Now it is easy to take the **** out of this post - so remember, if you leave your laptop on tonight, or your TV or printer, and it catches fire in the night, today you can guarantee every firefighter who attends will be under 55, next year, they could be 65!

That is unless there on strike again and the military have to come round in the green godesses!!!!lol

I have no sympathy, if people arnt happy with their jobs, shut up and get out!

I work away over 6 months of the year to provide for my family! There is loads of work out there you just have to look for it and be will to turn your hand at anything!!

Royal

80 + hours a week? That will kill you. You are either making a lot of money or are doing something which isnt making enough money hence the long hours.

I couldn't teach kids and wouldn't want to. Could probably have swung a hammer and shovelled ballast when I was younger. Didn't want to although. Don't give me that don't know what hard work is lark.

And I wasn't moaning just asking why teachers felt so hard done by. I don't have to work for just above the minimum wage and neither do teachers nor do a lot of council workers.

The original post was about 1 person being in the media, if you think about it, most people moan about some parts of their life and most will be about work. So far this holiday I have been into school for 2 days to a)allow kids to finish off their coursework = higher GCSE grades and b)keep them off the streets getting into trouble (the mix was 50/50 good /bad Lads). I have also marked approx 50 pieces of different GCSE coursework. I'm in school again on Wednesday all day. I see this as part of my job and I am more than happy to do it, I am far from moaning about it, in fact I luv my job and I'm looking forward to the informal banter on Wednesday.

Yes I get a salary for what I work divided into 12 monthly payments which is the same as many other employees (yes, I understand self employed etc etc don't get paid when they are not working).

The original post was about 1 person being in the media, if you think about it, most people moan about some parts of their life and most will be about work. So far this holiday I have been into school for 2 days to a)allow kids to finish off their coursework = higher GCSE grades and b)keep them off the streets getting into trouble (the mix was 50/50 good /bad Lads). I have also marked approx 50 pieces of different GCSE coursework. I'm in school again on Wednesday all day. I see this as part of my job and I am more than happy to do it, I am far from moaning about it, in fact I luv my job and I'm looking forward to the informal banter on Wednesday.

Yes I get a salary for what I work divided into 12 monthly payments which is the same as many other employees (yes, I understand self employed etc etc don't get paid when they are not working).

You do a fine job. I couldn't do it.

but you by your own addmission dont bring work home so why do the other teachers?

:friends:

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

but you by your own addmission dont bring work home so why do the other teachers?

:friends:

shaun

Not quiet true. I try to do as much as I can before school (1 hour every day) and after school up to 3 hours 3 nights per week. I also never have a lunch break or break at break time as I work through them.

I do bring stuff home but only a minimum as that is family time, although work emails are done, sent when the kids are in bed.

Not quiet true. I try to do as much as I can before school (1 hour every day) and after school up to 3 hours 3 nights per week. I also never have a lunch break or break at break time as I work through them.

I do bring stuff home but only a minimum as that is family time, although work emails are done, sent when the kids are in bed.

Liar liar pants on fire!!!!!!

you get paid for supervising the breaks......

shaun

As a teacher my pension is based on 80th's, so after 40 years sevice I get 50% pension and pay quiet a lot each month. Compare that to most government employees, a lot of private pensions and you will get a shock as to 'how well off' teachers are on a pension.

I hope you're not an English teacher. B- :P

Edited by Dr W