pigeon shooting guides

viking

im thinking this year i will treat my self to a few days away pigeon shooting with a guide, numbers round where i shoot (leeds) arnt the best, so i fancy a chance at some decent numbers, so does any one know of any decent guides, and maybe the prices they charge, dont mind where in the country i go as it will be my holiday for the year, cheeres for any help.

lee

Edited by viking

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best guide i know is david virtue in the scottish borders . he does everything from pigeon shooting to deer stalking to goose and duck flighting and decoying.

his website is www.dvsporting.co.uk and the prices are cracking , b+b is available also, the contact num ber is on the site pal

Will Beasley and his dad Phil,who run the Shootwarehouse also do guiding all around Oxfordshire.I have not been for several years but had a spell of going there regularly before getting my own permissions.They have an enormous amount of ground/farms etc.They do charge alot though,I think its £150/day.Dependent upon what time of year you are taking your break I would expect they'd get you some shooting.I had numerous 100+ days.Nobody can guarantee bags with pigeon as we all know,but you have a better chance with them than most,but it is quite some price these days for pigeon shooting,but with I believe in excess of 200,000 acres they'll find you some shooting but say 3 days with accomodation you'll be looking at @ £600.I do not know if he is negotiable but if you contact in advance you may get a price for several consecutive days?

ATB,

ps.I have no connection with TSW but as PW site sponsors they are clearly known well to PW but I would not see that as a bad thing,if you mention it to Will you may even get PW rates??I do think they get alot of business off members here so he should do his best for you.Let us know what you do and how you get on.They are based nr Bicester just off M40,you meet at their home,a nice central village cotswold type farm then hang about as Will wakes up!!!They know what they are doing,and have the ground which are the 2 most important parts with a guide........

For what its worth, my experience of Mr Beasley and co was very poor, I went up there many years ago paid my money, was put into a field, saw two pigeons while the son was out looking after French customers who saw and shot a few hundred, no doubt they were regulars and paying a lot for several days shooting, however I to had paid and was left to fend for myself, They did however offer me some of the dead pigeons shot by the French, Based soley on this one experience I would not be parting with any more money in Oxford.

However I am sure there are many who have had a good experience with them

Edited by docholiday

Cranfield, Is that how you become a moderator? :no: :no: :no:

Money is hard enough to come by nowadays without wasting it.

whats your point?

Eh?

Explain please....

I have no idea what Salopian is on about. :rolleyes:

A member asks for pigeon Guide information and someone is bound to recommend Will Beasley.

The Beasleys have been conducting guided shooting for years and there have been many glowing reports on here and in magazine articles.

Its possible the inference is that I mentioned him because of his association with UKShootwarehouse, who advertise on Pigeon Watch.

Thats what they do, "they advertise", they don't own Pigeon Watch and certainly couldn't influence what I say about them.

As for becoming a Moderator, that happened a long, long time ago , when there were so few members I think we were all Moderators.

Anglia Sporting are very good - Professional, friendly and will happily move you around if you aren't getting any sport.

Not the cheapest but.....

You get what you pay for

BUT remember - NO Pro guide cannot guarantee pigeons, he'll do his professional best to find them but at the end of the day, you pays your money and you takes your chance, and any guide worth his salt will tell you the same up front.

Elsby on here is also excellent, a damn fine chap, had a great day out with him a few weeks back - PM him, based arond Bucks Milton Keynes...

Good Luck

Andy

I think it’s worth saying that guides as a whole do a good job, maybe not every day, maybe the bags are no larger than you might find for yourself on occasion but for people with no access to shooting, for foreigners (probably the largest group to use UK guides) and people who don’t have the time to find their own sport guides are the best option. One note about foreigners; without them most guides wouldn’t be making a living from their business (especially if they had to rely on the likes of PW members!) and groups who visit for anything up to a week help keep the bills paid. Foreigners love their shooting and are not shy about paying for it wherever in the world that might be.

Many on here bemoan the fact that one shouldn’t have to pay for pigeon shooting and if you can get plenty without payment then good luck to you if not then why not pay. Compared to some sports shooting is not the most expensive of games that some would have us believe.

To knock people such as the Beasleys especially on the basis of a single days (poor) shooting isn’t on. Just remember who first (I know there’s some who dispute it) bought you the likes of the Pigeon Magnet so many are now keen to copy. Like ‘em or not they’ve done more for pigeon shooting and pigeon shooters than all the members on here!

Many of the 'novice' shooters on here would do well to buy a guided day and find out the 'how to' before going out and struggling to get any shooting...but that's another story.

im thinking this year i will treat my self to a few days away pigeon shooting with a guide, numbers round where i shoot (leeds) arnt the best, so i fancy a chance at some decent numbers, so does any one know of any decent guides, and maybe the prices they charge, dont mind where in the country i go as it will be my holiday for the year, cheeres for any help.

lee

dont now where u shoot around leeds i had alot of red letter days last year took some mates out aswell and some lads off pigeon watch all had good days in and around leeds thay is no point traveling miles and paying for it hopeing 2 av a better year this time les

Guest liaddardscorner

To knock people such as the Beasleys especially on the basis of a single days (poor) shooting isnt on. Just remember who first (I know theres some who dispute it) bought you the likes of the Pigeon Magnet so many are now keen to copy. Like em or not theyve done more for pigeon shooting and pigeon shooters than all the members on here!

Matt hance designed the pigeon magnet the Beasley and Matt fell out for reason I dont know Matt no longer works for them.

All the best Andrew

Edited by liaddardscorner

To knock people such as the Beasleys especially on the basis of a single days (poor) shooting isn’t on. Just remember who first (I know there’s some who dispute it) bought you the likes of the Pigeon Magnet so many are now keen to copy. Like ‘em or not they’ve done more for pigeon shooting and pigeon shooters than all the members on here!

Many of the 'novice' shooters on here would do well to buy a guided day and find out the 'how to' before going out and struggling to get any shooting...but that's another story.

If someone has a bad day shooting.Especially after paying,then why should they not give their view on it.Just telling it as it is. :good:

dont now where u shoot around leeds i had alot of red letter days last year took some mates out aswell and some lads off pigeon watch all had good days in and around leeds thay is no point traveling miles and paying for it hopeing 2 av a better year this time les

Nice one Les - I'm sure the OP will appreciate the invite (and the savings) for a trip out with an experienced shooter on his doorstep.

Nice gesture :good:

lee

Viking, what an excellent way to spend a few days holiday. If i were you i'd try and split things up a bit. May and June are probably the quietest months.

There are some very good guides about and all of them will try and give you some good shooting. They really don't want to give you a poor days sport but they aren't magicians.

My advice would be to identify a part of the country you wouldn't mind travelling to look at the crops set and talk to a few guides. They will advise the best times to come and whether they can book you. As is the way in business and life if you can stick with someone you are buying services from they will look after you. It might not be the best to start with but people appreciate loyalty and long-term business. A laugh and a bit of leg pull goes a mile also.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday! :yes:

I think it’s worth saying that guides as a whole do a good job, maybe not every day, maybe the bags are no larger than you might find for yourself on occasion but for people with no access to shooting, for foreigners (probably the largest group to use UK guides) and people who don’t have the time to find their own sport guides are the best option. One note about foreigners; without them most guides wouldn’t be making a living from their business (especially if they had to rely on the likes of PW members!) and groups who visit for anything up to a week help keep the bills paid. Foreigners love their shooting and are not shy about paying for it wherever in the world that might be.

Many on here bemoan the fact that one shouldn’t have to pay for pigeon shooting and if you can get plenty without payment then good luck to you if not then why not pay. Compared to some sports shooting is not the most expensive of games that some would have us believe.

I'd endorse your view Highlander, pigeon shooting guides naturally want satisfied, happy customers. It can't be easy. The customers expectations are high on the day and the pigeon fail to turn up!

So, you are involved in "professional guiding"? What are you looking for in an ideal client?

Do you let the euro take the best days? They can't hit **** all anyway..