Ever tried lamping pigeons?

jackieboi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure about testing , but as long as he has learned from his mistakes .

Forums like this are a good source of information . Its not a stupid question if you get the right answers

Education is a good thing its just a shame that some people dont look for the answers before going out and doing something a bit daft . We were all beginners once now give the lad a break

I have been shooting for decades and I didn't know it was illegal to lamp birds.

I haven't done it, and can't think it would be very sucessful , but didn't know you couldn't.

I can't see why you shouldn't lamp the blasted things either. They are a very expensive pest and if they were almost wiped out to extinction so much the better as far as I am concerned. (note the "almost", I don't mind there being the odd one or two)

Because i`m afraid to say shock horror that some shooters have no morals on shooting a sleeping bird and so forget to pass on good knowledge. The important thing is that you know now.

Judging from my experience if I inadvertently light up a tree when manourvering a lamp - or get too close to the treeline when walking, the clatter they make as they take off suggests they are not sleeping but fully awake and willing to spook the rabbits I'm after.

<deleted section>

Edited by nickbeardo
edited idiotic suggestions of illegal activity

I know people who lamp woodies and I cant see the problem, they are a pest that causes millions of pounds worth of damage. Just because they are in a state of inactivity it doesn’t make them any less of a menace the next morning on the farmers valuable crop. Those who shoot pigeons purely for pleasure and attempt to justify the killing by mentioning crop protection are very different from those who actually shoot pigeons to save the livelihood of the farm, and are not concerned if they eradicate the pigeon population. Being enjoyable is simply a by-product. Pleasure shooters will complain about the morality of lamping woodies so that they can have a larger bag whilst shooting for sport. If Morals are an issue can killing any animal purely for enjoyment be classed as moral?

I know people who lamp woodies and I cant see the problem, they are a pest that causes millions of pounds worth of damage. Just because they are in a state of inactivity it doesn’t make them any less of a menace the next morning on the farmers valuable crop. Those who shoot pigeons purely for pleasure and attempt to justify the killing by mentioning crop protection are very different from those who actually shoot pigeons to save the livelihood of the farm, and are not concerned if they eradicate the pigeon population. Being enjoyable is simply a by-product. Pleasure shooters will complain about the morality of lamping woodies so that they can have a larger bag whilst shooting for sport. If Morals are an issue can killing any animal purely for enjoyment be classed as moral?

Are these people you know concerned that they are breaking the law?

I'm a "pleasure shooter" and have no issues with the morality of what I do. Yes I enjoy it, but am also contributing in a small way to pest control on the farms where I shoot., I wouldn't be allowed there otherwise. I also eat what I shoot or give/sell any surplus as high quality natural food. No morality conumdrums there.

I think you being rather melodramatic....you would have to shoot an inordinate amount of pigeons by lamp to safeguard the livelihood of a Farm. Morality doesnt come into this issue in my opinion. The simple fact is the General Licence sets out how and when we can shoot the bird species currently on the General list and thats a statutory regulation. If anyone wants to run the gauntlet and shoot wood pigeon by Lamplight and risk losing their SCC or FAC for life thats entirely up to them. Sadly its always the few that completely **** it up for the majority. Im with Blunderbus on this. Of course we derive pleasure in shooting live quarry, anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth. All the pigeons I shoot are consumed and are only shot over crops which I have been invited to protect. No morality issues for me either.

Why oh why dont more people taking out a SGC read the GL and understand it before application or venturing out into the feild. Sadly the regulations surrounding licensing are extremely lacking in respect of Basic feild craft or knowledge... :yes:

" Hello MR. Dealer Ive managed to satisfy the stringent medical and phsycological criteria imposed by HM Government have no CR and had two excellent references to enable me to get this SGC...now can you recommend a good 12g for lamping pigeons and a decent .22 Air rifle for fox...If you have a couple of tonnes of spent wheat I can use to decoy them onto the church lawn with also that would be great...dont suppose you have any live owl decoys do you "?

Jackie boy has learnt that Pigeons arent to be Lamped under current legislation lets leave it at that without trying to justifty something to a young shooter that is illegal.

I think you being rather melodramatic....you would have to shoot an inordinate amount of pigeons by lamp to safeguard the livelihood of a Farm. Morality doesnt come into this issue in my opinion. The simple fact is the General Licence sets out how and when we can shoot the bird species currently on the General list and thats a statutory regulation. If anyone wants to run the gauntlet and shoot wood pigeon by Lamplight and risk losing their SCC or FAC for life thats entirely up to them. Sadly its always the few that completely **** it up for the majority. Im with Blunderbus on this. Of course we derive pleasure in shooting live quarry, anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth. All the pigeons I shoot are consumed and are only shot over crops which I have been invited to protect. No morality issues for me either.

Why oh why dont more people taking out a SGC read the GL and understand it before application or venturing out into the feild. Sadly the regulations surrounding licensing are extremely lacking in respect of Basic feild craft or knowledge... :yes:

" Hello MR. Dealer Ive managed to satisfy the stringent medical and phsycological criteria imposed by HM Government have no CR and had two excellent references to enable me to get this SGC...now can you recommend a good 12g for lamping pigeons and a decent .22 Air rifle for fox...If you have a couple of tonnes of spent wheat I can use to decoy them onto the church lawn with also that would be great...dont suppose you have any live owl decoys do you "?

Jackie boy has learnt that Pigeons arent to be Lamped under current legislation lets leave it at that without trying to justifty something to a young shooter that is illegal.

Fair point. I am aware of the GL conditions i was just highlighing that i dont object to lamping all vermin for crop/ stock protection. Providing it is killed as humanely as possible. You may not get a large bag at night but you are contributing to the cause. however you are correct, and I appolgise if i was seen in anyway to encourage law breaking. If it was legal im sure people wouldnt have a problem with it, after all its not like all the laws we have are exactly apt for the individual circumstance they apply to.

Edited by NorfolkPoacher

we have a local lad and his mates who have one field to shoot on with his air rifle hes now got a shot gun and has been lamping pigeons and pheasants on some of our permissions land as it boarders that one field they have. we have found breasted carcases on many occasions one of the farmers has spoke with the police about this but its catching them in the act as they just run back on to the land that they have permission to be on and deny the have crossed the boarder. we no its happening as we have been told by different people its a pain and a big no no his land owner just does not care :no: how he got an sgc when the police are aware of him well what can i say

Edited by linny

we have a local lad and his mates who have one field to shoot on with his air rifle hes now got a shot gun and has been lamping pigeons and pheasants on some of our permissions land as it boarders that one field they have. we have found breasted carcases on many occasions one of the farmers has spoke with the police about this but its catching them in the act as they just run back on to the land that they have permission to be on and deny the have crossed the boarder. we no its happening as we have been told by different people its a pain and a big no no his land owner just does not care :no: how he got an sgc when the police are aware of he well what can i say

those trail cameras can be usefull, we have used them for catching fly-tippers. Set one up on your boundary near an obvious landmark, tree large rock etc (for reference) on a well worn path used by the ****, if you catch a photo or video of him with his rifle/shotgun you should have a case for armed tresspass.

those trail cameras can be usefull, we have used them for catching fly-tippers. Set one up on your boundary near an obvious landmark, tree large rock etc (for reference) on a well worn path used by the ****, if you catch a photo or video of him with his rifle/shotgun you should have a case for armed tresspass.

Thats a very good idea... :good:

From time to time these sorts of things get posted and it only strengthens my thoughts about wannabe hunters having to take a test before they ever get near a gun. I'm not advocating campaigning for any such moves as we (the shooting community) have enough problems in todays PC world (and I don't mean the place one buys their laptops! :rolleyes: )but it beggars belief that so many have no idea about the legal aspects of gun ownership and very little idea about quarry ID. They can and do spoil it for the vast majority.

On a related note; poaching/trespassing with a gun is a CRIMINAL offence punishable by (possible) prison sentences plus the confiscation of any guns and the revokation of any licences held. Why would any responsible/licenced person chance it? Many do! :no: