zeroing problem??

mosa

My friend has just bought a 2nd hand HMR which has just had a trigger kit fitted (quite recently anyway). anyway we went out today to zero it and it is shooting all over the place even trying different ammo. The only thing i noticed was that the barrel doesnt seem to float at the end underneath (touching/sitting on stock)i realise this is probably the problem. Question is, is there anything he can do as a quick fix ie shim the trigger unit etc please help cheers!

My friend has just bought a 2nd hand HMR which has just had a trigger kit fitted (quite recently anyway). anyway we went out today to zero it and it is shooting all over the place even trying different ammo. The only thing i noticed was that the barrel doesnt seem to float at the end underneath (touching/sitting on stock)i realise this is probably the problem. Question is, is there anything he can do as a quick fix ie shim the trigger unit etc please help cheers!

Hi mate,

had this problem on my cz, i got the sand paper to the stock until barrel was fully floating. Worked a treat with me. :good:

hi mate had same with mine trying to zero it today i put it down to the wind was zeroing it at 100yds it was all over so moved in to 50yds got it spot on went back out to 100yds wind had died down couple of ajustments and sorted 3 bang on inside inch bull .love them shoot and see target well worth the money hope ya get it sorted i was using horn blue tips

yes fully cleaned

After I clean my HMR it takes about 50 rounds to get it back on song.

Try checking the scope and mounts.

Even removing it and refitting it can make all the difference.

I read about one shooter who had not fastened the back mount into the rail. He spent about 300 rounds before he found what the problem was by accident.

As already said, move the target closer and zero it there first (I use 40yds if I have any doubts), then it should be only slight adjustments to get it right at longer ranges.

Another thing is to try without the mod on (wear ear plugs as they are very loud). Although most HMR's groups better with a mod on, this will give you a base to work from.

If all else fails take a close look at the crown, it may have been damaged by someone leaving the mod on. If so a recrown, by a good gunsmith, is not too expensive (around £25).

HTH

Cooter :)

group of 5 and then let the barrel cool down. as you have siad the barrel is not floating than this can cause issue unless it is designed no to float.

if the barrel should be floating then sandpaper on a socket to float it.

5 shot string and then allow to cool.

50 yrd zero to start that step it out to your required distance.

phil

cheers for the info. The lad saidthe barrel seemed to sit to the left in the stock. He has now floated the barrel as suggested.(£10 note now slips right under it and re positioned in the centre) he is out at the moment trying it again so i'll let you know how he gets on cheers :good:

cheers for the info. The lad saidthe barrel seemed to sit to the left in the stock. He has now floated the barrel as suggested.(£10 note now slips right under it and re positioned in the centre) he is out at the moment trying it again so i'll let you know how he gets on cheers :good:

i suspect it might not be the free float, sure it will make a difference but not between awfull and ok, what make is it? as previously mentioned not all are meant to free float

(£10 note now slips right under it

If it is only a thin sheet, like a tenner, you will probably find that when he puts it on a bipod it pushes back into the barrel again.

I use something like a business card in mine, and it really does not matter if there is a millimetre or more of clearance (my standard barrel Remmy 700 sits in an AI stock, so there is at least 10mm of free air around it, and what a difference it makes :) ).

If you have a CZ it should be floating, and the wooden stocks on them can, and often do, twist in the changing weather, so you may have to float it more than once.

What does he call bad grouping?

Whilst an HMR can shoot 1/2" under normal conditions, anything under an inch is good.

My HMR does not like being cleaned.

If I make the mistake of pulling a boresnake through it, it takes about 50 rounds to get it back to normal, ie under an inch.

sent me some pics this morning had 2 within an 1/2 inch at 100yrds 1 just about 1"away but said that was him. not sure what he did apart from the sanding to the stock etc cheers for all the replies..something worked for him :good:

My Ruger m 77 hasn't got a floating barrel (is it supposed to) ?

My M77 also is not floated, it has a little wood pip from the end of stock that the barrel sits on. Always wondered if this should be sanded off. But is deffo there for the barrel to rest on from manufacture.

Reggiegun