I've knackered my gun.....AAAARGH

Greg_D

Crumbs,

i wasn't expecting that, what a fabulously generous offer.

I will take you up on it on the strength of the quality of your work alone, i look forward to seeing the barrels in all their glory.

One point i would like to make is that i am not very good at accepting the generosity of others. It is not something that i often receive, i much prefer to help rather than be helped, so with the utmost humility, i don't think that i could allow you to do it for nothing, that doesn't seem fair to me. A reduced rate would still be more than one could possibly expect, or if you insist a donation to a charity of your choosing.

get in touch via PM and we can make arrangements

Yours humbly

Greg

Charlie T, hi.

Where's that lump now?

Cheers,

Phil

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie T, hi.

Where's that lump now?

Cheers,

Phil

Amazing. Just goes to show that there are some wonderful people in the shooting community. Gregs reply shows what a smashing chap he must be, bet Highlander wishes he could eat his words now !!!.

went out and saw dennis yesterday,as allways get a cup of coffe took the granson out, and he loved the chickens dennis has,i dont think they will lay eggs for a while after the boy was running after them,but dennis was good as gold,spoke to dennis and chris both very nice gents,cant wait to take them both shooting.great chaps,and gun smiths,

went out and saw dennis yesterday,as allways get a cup of coffe took the granson out, and he loved the chickens dennis has,i dont think they will lay eggs for a while after the boy was running after them,but dennis was good as gold,spoke to dennis and chris both very nice gents,cant wait to take them both shooting.great chaps,and gun smiths,

:lol: yes i feel very sorry for those chickens they always seem to get the most workload.....in fact they do more than chris and dennis :lol::lol:

they are always looking in to the workshop....or in it trying to help out :lol::lol::good:

And there you are both ends of the shooting spectrum

But never forget folks this is only a forum and so totally unimportant in the great scheme of life and if people dont lick my spelling mistake they can like my big fat smelly behind :blink: :rolleyes:

Well this thread certainly shows the facts about being a member of a forum, they are mostly made up with great guys/girls willing to freely offer good advise ,then you have those who go the extra mile as someone has here by offering to reblack barrels for free (what a gent) or offering shooting to those that struggle with permission etc,then you have the knockers and whiners of which highlander has just proved himself a prime example :hmm: He does not seem illiterate as his spelling looks on par with mine,but he can clearly not read :no: as if he could he would have seen the original poster had indeed what many of us would think entered the sport in the correct manner,with LESSONS and only SHOOTING CLAYS first perhaps highlander would like to publish a book on how to live the perfect mishap free life :yes:

Edited by fenboy

JHC one has to have the hide of a Rhino to take the verbal beatings handed out on here on here. Just as well I can take as well as give! So to all you nice chaps out there :P

I will acknowledge that I should perhaps have posted my thoughts in a different place and not hijacked the original posters thread. For that my apologies to Greg_D and anyone else who thought I had acted unreasonably.

HOWEVER I stand by what I said re novice shooters and the ability to obtain an SGC/FAC without any knowledge of their chosen sport. Completely bonkers!

PS Hey with all the attention the thread got Greg has now been made a very good offer...take it with both hands and thank the man.

Crumbs,

i wasn't expecting that, what a fabulously generous offer.

I will take you up on it on the strength of the quality of your work alone, i look forward to seeing the barrels in all their glory.

One point i would like to make is that i am not very good at accepting the generosity of others. It is not something that i often receive, i much prefer to help rather than be helped, so with the utmost humility, i don't think that i could allow you to do it for nothing, that doesn't seem fair to me. A reduced rate would still be more than one could possibly expect, or if you insist a donation to a charity of your choosing.

get in touch via PM and we can make arrangements

Yours humbly

Greg

Good evening, should have replied yesterday but very busy and didn't get the opportunity to look at the site. PM sent, look forward to your reply.

HOWEVER I stand by what I said re novice shooters and the ability to obtain an SGC/FAC without any knowledge of their chosen sport. Completely bonkers!

PS Hey with all the attention the thread got Greg has now been made a very good offer...take it with both hands and thank the man.

I agree (and knowledge is all part of safety) but the "how do you wash a car?" section of the driving test doesnt yet exist.... At least the forum offers the opportunity to learn. You have to comend everyone who makes the effort ot find out more and doesnt continue in total ignorance.

I agree with the last two words - it's a fair description of your contribution to the thread.

This was an issue about cleaning a gun. It did not need an ill-conceived rant, which didn't make a great deal of sense anyway.

JHC one has to have the hide of a Rhino to take the verbal beatings handed out on here on here. Just as well I can take as well as give! So to all you nice chaps out there :P

I will acknowledge that I should perhaps have posted my thoughts in a different place and not hijacked the original posters thread. For that my apologies to Greg_D and anyone else who thought I had acted unreasonably.

I agree with the last two words - it's a fair description of your contribution to the thread.

This was an issue about cleaning a gun. It did not need an ill-conceived rant, which didn't make a great deal of sense anyway.

Right-o all, I think Highlander has accepted defeat now. I do also agree with his argument, but also that it was an unnecessary and pompous one given the context. I think the bashing should probably stop now though, he's apologised and the thread has had its happy ending!

• 1 month later...

Hi Greg, Got your barrels yesterday just to cheer you up a bit more you have a good size dent in the bottom barrel, this could have been done in transit as they were only covered in a small amount of bubble wrap, really they need to be in a hard case or a cardboard tube, ( you can pick these up at the carpet shops ) I will knock the dent up before blacking them, give Den a bell when you get a chance or pm me.

Lovely,

I didn't realise that me superficially tainting my barrels would upset you so much.

I am fairly sure that the driving test has no element of car maintenance attached to it, and it is purely a maintenance mistake that i am seeking to rectify.

i'm not sure that this thread was the correct outlet for your opinions on regulatory change in the uk gun industry

A very fair response, I think Greg :good:

Lovely,

I didn't realise that me superficially tainting my barrels would upset you so much.

I am fairly sure that the driving test has no element of car maintenance attached to it, and it is purely a maintenance mistake that i am seeking to rectify.

i'm not sure that this thread was the correct outlet for your opinions on regulatory change in the uk gun industry

lifes a learning curve mate we can all make mistakes no ones been hurt just your pride,

As an addendum to the debate about newcomers to the sport. There is something to be said for the Canadian approach to firearms ownership. Some years back they introduced a gun registry along with a new possession and acquisition license, much to the annoyance of firearms owners who, prior to this, hardly needed any paperwork to own a shotgun or rifle.

The firearms license in Canada is granted to persons once they have taken a written and practical exam and have been cleared by the Mounties as not having a criminal record. It isn't terribly difficult and is mainly common sense. Firearms have to be safely stored but there is no system involving firearms enquiry officers checking out your cabinet/storage. The government in Cananda unlike in the UK trusts the citizen to do the right thing. That said I have come across quite a few people who even after passing the test were a bit iffy, but compared to the UK I think overall it is a better system.

I am not advocating new laws because God knows there are enough restrictions on gun ownership in the UK as it is, but I can see the sense in people with no prior knowledge of firearms taking a classroom type approach and having instructors who give lessons and hands on teaching. We need to encourage people to take up the sport if we want it to thrive. Otherwise it will disappear up its own fundament.

Edited by Rem223

I shoot a huge number of cartridges each week, and I have a lot of plastic and lead fouling around the first few inches of the chamber in all my guns.

I like to clean to a perfect mirror-finish after every shoot.

I found using a strip of pure copper scouring pad, with a bit wrapped around a solid brass bore jig, removes it thoroughly and easily.

I can only seem to find these pure copper scouring pads at the 'pound shops' these days, so I stocked up heavily.

Copper is way softer that steel, it cleans my barrels and chokes better and far quicker than any other substance.

I use a bit of regular bore cleaner with it for lubrication.

BTW, I know some shooters that swear by their variations of those furry bore snake things.

One cleaned his barrel with his furry thing and felt he did a good job.

With his permission, I wrapped a clean length of 4x2 cotton soaked in clean bore cleaner and scrubbed the bore for a few passes.

It came out totally dark grey with lead and plastic deposit, showing his barrels were polished with his furry pet, but far from 'clean'.

A few minutes with the copper scourer material, and eventually, the 4x2 cottons were coming out clean of any fouling discoloration at all, and his barrels had a mirror finish he never thought possible.

I have to say I worried about keeping barrels clean for the first few years I shot. Then I realized it makes no difference to accuracy or anything else so now do indeed use one of the bore snakey things as it has to be better than nothing which is my other alternative :lol:

Fair enough, but that has little to do with the origional post. He has had several lessons, is only interested in clays at the moment and is actively looking for helpful advice, so in your own terms he's doing every thing right.

Sorry, I'm not looking to join in the Highlander bashing but you were a bit quick to jump.

ATB

:good: :good:

• 2 weeks later...