Decoy Spring sticks.

I'm trying to find a website to buy 10 or 20 good old fashioned spring sticks, that then doesn't roger me for the P£P.

I nearly went with Ukshootwarehouse, only to find the P&P was 8.50 or so to send 10 sticks!.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers

(I don't use Evilbay, either)

Edited by Bleeh

I'm trying to find a website to buy 10 or 20 good old fashioned spring sticks, that then doesn't roger me for the P£P.

I nearly went with Ukshootwarehouse, only to find the P&P was 8.50 or so to send 10 sticks!.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Get some steel banding, a pair of tin snips and it should take you about 2 mins to make one.

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/TheEssexHunter/Essex%20Decoy%20Springs/?action=view&current=STA60109.jpg

TEH

Excessive p&p is a ploy by a lot of companies to add extra to their products without the buyer (hopefully) not being aware of it. It's hidden charges in my opinion.

I bought a shooting related item once (not from our advertisers) and the p&p was £6.95. When the item arrived, it was in a small cardboard package, and the postal charge to them was £2.64. So, another £4.31 added to their profits, less the cost of the packaging, which must be awfully expensive! :unsure:

anyone know where to get this steel banding from please...

We use it at work, PM me yer address, and I'll get somne off to you next week...what sort of lengths d'you want it cut to...as sending it coiled up might be a tad awkward...:)

If anyone that works with metal banding and would be able to cut a dozen or so foot long pieces I would be happy to send money by paypal for your trouble & to cover the postage.

Wish I'd started shooting back when I was working with it every day!

• 2 weeks later...

I hear what you say about flea-bay, however. There is a guy on there (Sports/hunting/accessories) who does a dozen spring steel sticks for about £7.00 + about £2.00 P&P. They are purpose made and do what it says on the tin.

He does two types. One for shells & one for full bodied. I have been down the steel banding strap route & while it works (sort off) its not a patch on these sticks I bought. I`ve had a pack of each off him & they work a treat. If you are penniless have a go with steel banding but I fear you will find your deeks like demented woodpeckers when the wind gets up.

PS: Just dug out my old invoice. The guys moniker is: "sfrancis 1206" Currently on the bay of evil at £7.00 + 2.88.

Worth a look, unless your sorted with the steel banding tape.

Edited by JJsDad

In responce to wulliewinky`s thread; you need to set a close bended `V` in the end to be attached to the decoy using a pair of pliers. The decoy needs a transverse slot about 1mm wide in the back at the point of balance. An old heated up screwdriver does the trick. I have found steel banding tape a total waste of time with full bodied. They are two heavy; the spring tension in the banding tape is incapable of returning them to a natural position. Puff of wind & they are either staring at the sky, or standing on their heads.

hello mate, how do attach the band to the inside of the deek ?

In responce to wulliewinky`s thread; you need to set a close bended `V` in the end to be attached to the decoy using a pair of pliers. The decoy needs a transverse slot about 1mm wide in the back at the point of balance. An old heated up screwdriver does the trick. I have found steel banding tape a total waste of time with full bodied. They are two heavy; the spring tension in the banding tape is incapable of returning them to a natural position. Puff of wind & they are either staring at the sky, or standing on their heads.

• 4 years later...

Dan .. Just cut about a 1 foot length of banding then put a right-angle bend in it about 1 1/2 " from the end. Bend the short end back on the first bend, then bend again so that you end up with a straight piece of banding about 10 1/2" long with a bit sticking out the side of about 1/2". (Long 'up' , 1/2" left, 1/2" right and hard against the left, 1/2" short 'up'.)

Melt, or cut a slot that the short 'up' of the banding will fit into across the back of the decoy at the point of balance.

In the field, poke 2, 3, or 4 inches of the long 'up' into the ground and slot the decoy onto the short 'up' at the top. When the wind blows the decoy should 'nod' gently on the springy banding and look like a feeding bird.