Need a good new scope for hunting.

Hi,

I have two scopes, but am not satisfied with one of them and I want to replace it. I have a Hawke model HK 4004 3-12 x 50mm IR Sidewinder scope with the SR6 illuminated reticule (good scope) and a Nikko Sterling 4-12 x 50 IR scope (not satisfied).

The Nikko Sterling does not give the same image clarity and needs me to keep my eye centred on the optical axis more than the Hawke. Also, the cross-hairs are not at 90 degrees to each other! The vertical cross-hair is vertical, but he horizontal one is low on the left, and high on the right!

It is to be mounted on a 12 ftlb air rifle, but I am making applications for an FAC, and will be getting an FAC air rifle initially, and want this scope to be suitable for up 40+ ftlb, and up to 100m. It will be for hunting, and needs to be quick for target acquisition. Can anyone recommend a good quality scope at a sensible price? I am looking for something that has these qualities:-

1) Rugged and well contructed.

2) Good quality glass and optical components. Good in low light conditions. (40mm minimum objective lens, pref. 50mm)

3) Parallax adjustable, or free from parallax errors from 20m out to 80m.

4) Large exit pupil - Good sight picture without having my eye perfectly aligned with the optical axis - rapid target acquisition - minimal vignetting.

5) Large enough eye relief for wearing spectacles (always)

6) Reticle for estimating range/hold-over/hold-under (I like the Hawke SR6 reticle, but mil dots are OK, whatever...)

7) Illuminated reticle.

8) Variable magnification (at least x3 and up to x10 or more)

9) Pref. 30mm tube, as all my other sight and mounts are 30mm)

Any suggestions or experiences welcomed.

Cheers,

Rob

I just got an Endurance 30 IR by Hawke for my 22lr.

Excellent glass and build quality!

The reticule post and Center illuminated dot make target acquisition really quick. The eye relief is that good that I shoot with both eyes open! Cant fault it.

No adjustable parallax or mil dot reticule, but I personally don't find this a problem.

Good luck in your search though, took me ages to finally choose one.

MTC Viper 4-16x50 would be in a class of its own compared to the other scopes, I have one on my HMR and will be buying on for my .22. Excellent scopes, great optics, and you will love the reticule. Type it in google, its called the SCB reticule. (small calibre ballistics). Lots of hold over/under and windage lines. Also comes with mounts, flip up covers, sidewheel and sunshade. I got mine for £229.