Benelli - 1 First ever Fox - 0

SpicyandJack

Hi all,

Sorry to post another 'I've popped my cherry' post but I had a great hour out yesterday, within minutes of strolling onto my permission I got a crow.

7719d707.jpg

Then a while later whilst looking through a gap in a hedge a perky young vixen broke from cover with a vole in her mouth and started trotting directly towards me, she got to within 20 yards before spotting me; mean time I had turned to face her and started bringing my gun to bear. As this was my first ever fox I have to admit to pausing just to appreciate how beautiful she was and I was having second thoughts about taking the shot (I know I know!). At that point she started to bolt, adrenalin took over and I fired two shots in quick succession and just as she started to find cover I fired the third. I walked briskly, reloading as I went as I was expecting to find her disabled but alive thankfully I arrived next to the ditch and she was already gone.

b0b1feeb.jpg

I then pulled her out to take a look at her.

97cebce9.jpg

Then i discovered what she had had in her mouth so, for the final picture:

135b91be.jpg

Very happy with just an hour on the permission.

Well done mate, Great shooting :good: :good: :good:

I know some are beautiful creatures but the job has to be done, but you really do get a buzz out of it.

I remember my first fox like it was yesterday

Yeah, my mrs doesn't want to hear me talk about culling foxes and I guess I'm slightly reluctant, but less so since I've seen the 'lamb bits' on my biggest permission.

I've a huge dog fox to 'do', more than likely this weekend.

Wabbitbosher very kindly sorted out some appropriate carts for the job which will be done at less than 20 yards, possibly as close as 12.

Good shooting :good: , I shot my first fox about 16 years ago and I still remember it as if it was yesterday. She doesn't look as if she is suckling, must have been a barron one. She is a lovely colour.

Thanks all,

Ireland's Finest - no it's not a Super Black Eagle it's the Benelli Comfort and comfortable it is! I looked at this and the M2 but as I have hands like a small child this fits great, the fore end is really narrow and really grippy so the control it gives me is so much better than a gun with a fatter fore end.

Thanks Dougall, so my first 'crow' turned out to be a rook, my second turned out to be a jackdaw, can I just confirm with someone that the big red, dog looking thing with a fluffy tail is in fact a fox and I didn't shoot the neighbours dog? Off to specsavers I think !!