Jack Russel snorting .

vole

My 2 1/2 yr old JRT is in great health but she woke up a couple of days ago seeming to have trouble breathing through her nose making snorting sounds . Been to vet twice and came away with antibiotics and anti inflammatories . She had a slight temperature which had improved . She has been a bit snuffly but is making the snorting sound from time to time again . She is playful and enjoying food . She recently got hit in the muzzle with a swingball bat and has been sticking her snout in mole hills which makes her sneeze and cough which I suspected might have caused it . I will take her back to the vet but cant help thinking they can do unnecessary stuff just for the business .

Anyone any ideas ?

Edited by vole

Thanks DF but she is not hyperventilating at the time . It seems she can sniff in and out (sounding a bit rattly ) but does huge honking snorts from time to time . 3 more days on the biotics might sort it .

What's the timescales please?

You say a couple of days ago she woke up with a sniffle, had anti-b's and is now getting snidely again?

How long was the course of anti-b's? Did you use them all? What antibiotic (active ingdient) was it?

Thanks.

Hi , started Tuesday , the antibiotics are Enrofloxacin with 4 more to go ( 1 per day ) . Had not heard the loud snorting since the start until today . As I say she seems well in all other ways . Do dogs get hay fever ?

Edited by vole

Hi Mate, my Patterdale/Jack also does this snorting - normally after he has been sniffing around a lot. When he started i took him to the vets and i saw a vet who also has a jack that does the same. He said it was his Palate slipping back over the wind pipe and obstructing the air way, The way i was advised to deal with it was to hold the dogs head up and firmly massage the underside of the chin/throat area, this normally sorts it and as long as he doesn't go straight off and start sniffing it doesn't return.

Some times this doesn't work and i get him sorted by clamping his mouth shut and placing my hand over his nose for a few seconds, this stops him breathing and the action of him then trying to breath brings the palate back up off the windpipe. I must emphasise the couple of seconds as the dog really can not breathe while you are doing it.

Hope this helps :good:

Thanks SP . Bet it something similar then , she is otherwise fit and happy .I can hear air going in and out of her nose normally when she is at rest but it is the loud grunting ( like we would do to make a pig sound ) when she is more active . Hope it passes .

My patterdale terrier also does this. I was told it is called reverse sneezing ( she only does it when excited like when she sees me putting on boots and getting her lead) Treatment as stated by others above either quick massage of throat or hand over nose and then she is fine.

• 6 years later...

Sorry for digging this up folks but how are you all getting on with this now?

About 2 months ago our JRT woke up and started doing this. We panicked and rushed him to the vet. They thought it may be kennel cough but i wasnt sure. For about two weeks he did this a few times mainly in the morning then occasionly with excitement. But it stopped and hasnt reoccured untill this morning but hes been a bit snuffly like last time with his breathing the rest of the day. It does sound like this reverse sneezing / goose honking that i am finding when googling. Ive never herd of it before and wonder if pollen or washing product used on there bedding may be triggering it. But we are going the vet in the week to get it checked.Am a big softie so worry and i guess its for my peace of mind and the wifes really. But would be keen to hear how you lot and dogs are getting on these days with it? Our toby is 10 on the august bank holiday. Hes fit and well otherwise.

ATVB

Matt

• 4 weeks later...