What scope do you use for lamping foxes?

graysclassics

Hi peeps, Have just picked up a lovely little .243 lightweight swedish stalking rifle that wants a scope. It was converted from a 7.62 mauser and is a joy to hold.

I have a large tactical type scope on my .22-250 for long range fox and vermin, its a heavy barrelled Ruger M77 Mk2 with laminated stock, moderator and harris bipod so its for going over the bonnet of the landrover only!

So, this scope needs to be lightweight, preferably fixed mag, absolutely no parallax adjustment and enough mag to take out a fox under the lamp at 200-300yds. It will be for Fox and Deer only.

Q. I have the chance of a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 at reasonable money but it might be a bit heavy and I dont really want a hideous 56mm bell on it. The stock only has a low comb height.

Q2. I also have the chance of a Zeiss 6x42 Z T* an older model, nice and light, shoot and squirt, just the job BUT is it going to have enough mag for lamping charlies?

What are you using for the job? :hmm:

Thats what I thought! I could not really do a comparision as I dont have a S&B or a Zeiss yet and winding the zoom down on a cheaper scope wont really give an accurate comparison. Thats exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. In an ideal world I would like something like a 4-12x50 but the prices for a top german scope of that ilk is breathtaking & I still dont want to pee about with parallax in the dark althought I suppose it could just be left at 200 yards and forget it. :good:

S&B 8x56 on top my tikka - I rarely take shots round here over 200yards, the scope is excellent and I would give it my vote if you want fixed mag.

Thanks, I guess I am just used to taking longer shots if the little burgers wont come any closer, perhaps with the stalking rifle I should just be content to shoot them a bit closer. Shame S&B dont do a 8x50.

I think if you are regularly shooting those distances you need to save some more money! I think shooting past 200 yards might be a struggle under the lamp with the 8x56, certainly would be pushing it!

I remember when I first got the .22-250 I struggled to zero it at 200 yards. (if I had half a brain I should have zeroed at 100yds an inch high) anyway - after zeroing at 200 yards, my first fox squeaked in nicely till just over 250 yards and sat there not wanting to cross a ditch. I aimed between the eyes thinking the round would drop into the chest, squeezed off and dropped it. When I picked it up - I had shot it clean in the head! Thats a 22-250 on a bipod for you.. At least with the .243 I can walk a bit closer... :lol:

I have a swaro 6 x 42 on my HMR and there is no way in the creation of christ that you will be shooting foxes at 2 - 300 yards under the lamp with a 6 mag. It is a push with the S&B 8 x 56.

Exactly I've got a 6 to24 by 50 swaro on mine lighter than my 8x56 makes a lot of difference. Shop about second hand bargains are out there

I have a swaro 6 x 42 on my HMR and there is no way in the creation of christ that you will be shooting foxes at 2 - 300 yards under the lamp with a 6 mag. It is a push with the S&B 8 x 56.

Perhaps a little too sweeping, 6 x works for many people out to long distance, including me, as much if not more important is the type/size of reticle (assuming the glass is ok of course)!

As I have always said with scopes it becomes VERY personal. :good::good:

ATB!

running zeiss scopes here,

on the .20 tac a 4.5/14/44 mc stunning and the best fox yet was at 360+under the lamp.

then on my 6mmbr i have the 6.5/20x50 both scopes came in to me at under 700 pounds,

so as mentioned there are deals out there, but you have to be sat on the web all day and have the cash sitting ready to go.

bob.

Perhaps a little too sweeping, 6 x works for many people out to long distance, including me, as much if not more important is the type/size of reticle (assuming the glass is ok of course)!

As I have always said with scopes it becomes VERY personal. :good::good:

ATB!

You really are confirming yourself as a shooting god dekers 300 yard foxes with a 6 x 42

Why is everything such a pain in the butt...grrrr :no:

There is a lovely S&B 2.5-10x56 on the sales board here Just about perfect I reckon - BUT its twice what I want to pay!

There is a Zeiss Diavari za 2.5-10x52 with a 30mm tube (yuk) on another site and thats just outside my price range.

It's looking like the S&B 8x56 after all as I was offered one for £300, just hope its still available.

Of course I could get the Ziess 6x42 anyway for around £150 and swop scopes with my rimfire...........

doh.... my head hurts now.... :wacko:

I did a couple of crows today witha 17 rem with a zeiss 6 x 24 x 56 1 was 286mts and 1 was 216mts

Mark :shoot:

Don't start! I have enough trouble with a .22 rimfire, .22-250 and .243, ...........now what about a little 17HRM... :hmm:

bigger cabinet required, all 8 slots filled now.... :lol:

Get an HMR - jack of all trades.

Bin the .22RF (fun but not good for much and the ricochet thing is a terror) and get a .22 Hornet for fun and foxes.

Bin the .22-250 (no good for deer) and either get a .243 or .25-06 and be done with it (foxes and deer).

Get an HMR - jack of all trades.

Bin the .22RF (fun but not good for much and the ricochet thing is a terror) and get a .22 Hornet for fun and foxes.

Bin the .22-250 (no good for deer) and either get a .243 or .25-06 and be done with it (foxes and deer).

That's ok until its windy...! You cant beat a .22 rimfire with moderator and subs... and as I am loading my own for .243 and 22-250 its probably cheaper than a HMR and just as much fun on crows and maggies..... 55gr 4000fps on a crow... lovely jubbly...

Thanks, I guess I am just used to taking longer shots if the little burgers wont come any closer, perhaps with the stalking rifle I should just be content to shoot them a bit closer. Shame S&B dont do a 8x50.

i know where their is a s and b 4-12-50 for 750 pm me for details