What scope do you use for lamping foxes?

graysclassics

That's ok until its windy...! You cant beat a .22 rimfire with moderator and subs... and as I am loading my own for .243 and 22-250 its probably cheaper than a HMR and just as much fun on crows and maggies..... 55gr 4000fps on a crow... lovely jubbly...

Sorry but bull poop the .22 drifts more in wind than the hmr

The meopta is a good choice because it has a fine reticle. at 200+ yards 8 mag is fine but the crosshair can obscure the target.

i rarely use above 8 mag on either Bushnell 4200 4-16x50 or nikon 5-20x44. both scopes have fine reticles so easy enough to see. sure I would like Swaro but for 99% of shots the Bushnell/Nikon level is fine.

I have a swaro 6 x 42 on my HMR and there is no way in the creation of christ that you will be shooting foxes at 2 - 300 yards under the lamp with a 6 mag. It is a push with the S&B 8 x 56.

Perhaps a little too sweeping, 6 x works for many people out to long distance, including me, as much if not more important is the type/size of reticle (assuming the glass is ok of course)!

As I have always said with scopes it becomes VERY personal. :good::good:

ATB!

You really are confirming yourself as a shooting god dekers 300 yard foxes with a 6 x 42

The original post was a bold statement of fact, everyone is different. You are reading too much into my reply. I always use 6x out to 200 yards in the field, and sometimes further, day or night, and have taken more than enough foxes at those distances. I also use 6x on the range and have done so out to 600 yards to good effect, more commonly I would ramp it up to 8x for these distances.

As I have also mentioned before, I was on the 200 yard range at Bisley a couple of years back with my .243 at 6x and the guy next to me was using a .243 at 24x!

I am not a shooting God, I am perfectly proficient, but to repeat yet again.....

As I have always said with scopes it becomes VERY personal.

:good::good:

• 7 years later...
On 06/05/2011 at 22:55, WGD said:

I have a swaro 6 x 42 on my HMR and there is no way in the creation of christ that you will be shooting foxes at 2 - 300 yards under the lamp with a 6 mag. It is a push with the S&B 8 x 56.

This is nonsense. I've shot fig. 11 targets at 800 yards with an 8x56 Schmidt, and foxes at over 300 yards with a 4x Sch.