I'm thinking of getting some Pig's!!!

yankeedoodlepigeon

Hi All.

I have plenty of odd ends of mixed veg and was wondering what to do with it all when I thought of getting some Pig's.

I though of getting about six Piglets and see how it goes.

They will be fed organically and aside from keeping one for myself I would sell the rest. So what I would like to know what would be a nice breed to do this with? How much to buy and sell for? Would I have to register to some body for doing so and would anybody have some for sale. Thanks Lea

Edited by yankeedoodlepigeon

I looked into a similar idea a while back and whilst its not to difficult there are some regulations,

I seem to remember you have to get a 'movement order' to allow you to transport them onto your land.

Half a dozen doesn't seem many whilst theyre small, but have you the room once they get bigger ?

If you try the search facility, this topic has been covered since Jan/Feb earlier this year.

I know you need to register to sell... A CPH number (county parish holding). Also needed to have them slaughtered. All part of the foot and mouth legacy.

I'd query the organic feeding too - they'll need some level of balanced diet - odd ends of veg may do it but best to confirm wit someone in the know first else you could end up with very poor quality meat at the end!

I had a friend that did this, but fed them with ration'ed (commercial) feed. Taste was amazing. Best i've had. The GF agreed.

Cheers,

Jon

You will need a licence from Defra (not sure of the cost) and some sort of pellet feed that can be supplemented with mixed veg. You also need a shelter for sun and rain and a strong stomach as their 5h#t stinks.

We looked into it but the costs are pretty high and you would need to have at least 3 to break even (sell 2 and keep 1) but you may be able to make it work better and cheaper.

If you do get some, let us know how it goes as I would still like to give a go a some point.

Good luck.

Start here, it explains the CPH, how movement licenses can be achieved etc etc...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/pigs/

Phone a local ag merchant for feed info. They'll be happy to chat or point you to a local feed seller.

Decide if its a business or a hobby, that'll decide if you need to break even or not. Worth knowing costs though as obviously if it's TOO high you won't want to start.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info very helpful. Room not really a issue, They will be getting a sort of Nissan hut type thing to shelter in. Feed will be allsorts of mixed veg as much as they want but will look into suppliments if needed, after like already suggested getting some info about it off someone that knows. I suppose it would be more of a hobby that I can get my money back and hopefully a little more with some nice meat along with it. I will keep all that is interested up to date if I can get to do it with all pro's and con's I find along the way.

Well i will try and sum this up without a long drawn out post,fruit and veg alone is not good enough,the piglets will need a feed with a protein level of 18% then drop to 16% this feed contains the minerals,nutrients for good growth and health a 25kg bag of 18% protein nuts will cost you a minimum of £7-90,a 25kg bag of grower nuts is £8-60 and a bag of finnishing nuts 16% protein is £8-00.The above prices are for standard feed expect to pay a bit more for organic,also if you sell the pork as organic all the food it eats inc fruit and veg has to be grown on organic ground.You would be better off saying free range 6 piglets will soon gobble a 25kg bag of feed,and to get a good meat carcass will need feeding for 24 weeks app dependant on breed.To try and put it in perspective an adult pig requires app 5lb of pig nuts per day,plus fruit and veg.Im not knocking your idea,its great, if you get it right humble sausages can return app £8 per kilo and obviously more for prime cuts.Now as for which breed,i can thouroghly reccomend gloucster old spot(sp)berkshire(smaller carcass)or the saddleback.Also these breeds are pretty good for the beginer with being docile and good natured(except when food is about)another over looked breed is the kune kune if fed on the right food they produce realy good meat averaging60- 80kg of finnished pig but they take a bit longer to reach killing weight.For more info have a look on these sites

http://www.oldspots.org.uk/getting_started.asp

http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net

and for buying your stock http://www.farmingads.co.uk/

I buy my weaners for about £25 - £35, I always have a full freezer, to sell them as organic you will need to be registered as organic by the organic police. For me it was an expense I did not need. I call mine outdoor free range reared rare breed. I only bother selling mine by the pig or half pig butchered bagged and labeled. To be very honest I make very little from my pigs, once you take on board the rising cost of feed. I also have as much friut and veg as I want. Gos is a easy pig to start with but can get quite fatty if you are not carefull. I tend to have Cornish blacks (large blacks) as I like the idea of a breed close to home.

I should add that you will get attached to your pigs that are great and that's why I keep them and you will never taste better pork than one you feed, pat, stroke everyday until you take it to slaughter. 6 is quite a few to start with. I would go for 3 and see how you go.

You will need a holding licence from DEFRA and stock number, they will supply all the movement forms for you to fill in.