Beating

genuine question. what do people get out of beating?

is it paid work, rough shooting (or other) opportunities or something else?

most of mine is picking up now but have done A LOTof beating in the past.what do i get out of it?being able to seee my dogs work,seeing how the birds fly after all the work put in by keepers and helpers,the banter between everyone,being out in the fresh air.at the end of the season we will probably get a days shooting.all this for anything from nothing to £30 pounds.i still do it for free ocaisonaly because of the previosly stated reasons.will that do?

On commercial shoots you generally get paid, on smaller syndicate shoots perhaps not. There's usually a beaters day at the end of the season and perhaps the chance of some out of season pigeon shooting. You're out in the countryside for a day, some shoots are harder work than others depending on the terrain that's covered. If you're the owner of a well behaved dog there's the opportunity to work it through cover too.

genuine question. what do people get out of beating?

is it paid work, rough shooting (or other) opportunities or something else?

all of the above, its a day out some beer money along with a day on pheasants / game and also usually a few vermin days pigeons etc we also have a beaters dinner after the beaters shoot, a BBQ in summer and a good laugh along the way. Its as close to going shooting without taking a gun as you can get. Those who scorn the amount of money are missing the whole idea

I stopped regular beating last season, but the last deal in 2009/2010 was £25, plus a brace of birds, good company, loads of great contacts, an excellent Beaters Day (200+ birds), Beaters dinner, a couple of vermin days, plenty of healthy exercise, occasional free fruit and veg (shoot owner is a fruit and veg wholesaler), views of some excellent shooting and many other things I have overlooked.

I would recommend anybody getting the chance to go at least once, you may well get hooked. :yes:

On our shoot we pay £20 plus a brace.A beaters dinner where we ensure they get thoroughly wellied and a 200 bird day.

We have a bigger waiting list for beaters than guns!!I reckon the beaters would do it for nothing,but they are so essential/have fuel costs etc we put the 'pay' up from £15 last year to £20.None do it for the money but it is not right that it should cost them to do it!!

Beating is very hard work,but also very rewarding if you like oudoors/dogs/a good banter..go try it.

My dog loves it!Physically shakes with excitement and adrenalin waiting for the off!

It's being out in the countryside with like-minded people,having a laugh,the craic,catching up with folk I haven't seen since the end of last season.I've known me turn down a shoot invite to go beating.I beat on quite a few shoots;we only get paid on one of them and that's via a pub meal,drink,and a few brace each.On others I get paid via an invite to shoot sometime in the season,roost shooting,whatever.It wouldn't matter either way,I'd still go. :good:

I beat on 3 shoots and do it

to spend a day outside in the country,

working my dog,

having the craic with like minded people,

a few quid in my pocket for a beer on way home,

2 or 3 days game shooting at the end of the season,

making contacts for more shooting or country pursuits

and a brace of birds each time.

I make Munglar right I think I prefer beating to shooting as well. :good:

What do you get out of beating well normally soaken wet a cold , shouted at for not being in line,about £2 an hour, ripped to bits from brambles and barbed wire you get to ride in a rough old trailer what normally shake you to bits with a load of smelly old locals and dogs,but every year at the beginning of the season we are always there its a good day .

What do I get out of beating?

Pure enjoyment and £20. (It is normal to pay FOR your entertainment not be paid)!

What do I get out of picking-up?

A happy dog and a happy me and £20. (I should pay twice over for that day).

What do I get out of running the day at my own shoot?

Loads of worries and headaches.

Would I give all of them up?

Yes - But only if I could spend all my days 'fowling.

Enjoy it all while the big society will still let us - and when thay ban us, and they will, take to poaching - Thats the most enjoyable of the lot!

Why do I do it?

I'm a singled handed keeper on a small shoot and I do it(When I can) to meet with with other people with the same interests and outlook on our sport. The money/free shoot day, is not everything(Sometimes, nowt!), just being involved is enough, either with dogs or not! Make new friends, the craic and JUST, to be OUT there, enjoying our countryside.

I have not done courses etc., Just learnt keepering by experience, so, I also pick up tips, and pass some on.

It's just BEING THERE and enjoying it all. It's hard to explain to someone who has never done it.

OK, on your first few days, you seem like a numpty, a stranger. Soon, incredibly, you learn the drives and how the keeper wants the birds to fly, then the whole thing comes together. It's difficult to explain, but those that have done it, will agree, I think.

Just go for it :good:

What do you get out of beating well normally soaken wet a cold , shouted at for not being in line,about £2 an hour, ripped to bits from brambles and barbed wire you get to ride in a rough old trailer what normally shake you to bits with a load of smelly old locals and dogs,but every year at the beginning of the season we are always there its a good day .

As above except I don't take a wage and I really enjoy working the dog and extracting the urine from those who can't control their dogs.

I think I now prefer beating to shooting.

It's sociable, good exercise, the dog loves it and as many birds to take home as you can carry (not arf!)

It's true, a lot of beaters are ex shooters and a few are ex gamekeepers as well.

Of course some still shoot, but prefer to get their shooting for nothing than cough up £30/bird or whatever the rate happens to be.

Some do it for the money, some for the exercises, some for the craic, some for the free shoots and dinner at the end of the season, so it's a combination of some or all of those.

I just like being out there and having a laugh, the money and end of year shoots/meal are just a bonus.

I am another, despite being a member of 3 syndicates, enjoy the beating more so than the shooting nowadays, its a good laugh, get fitter, and have a good drink :good:

I take guests more than shoot, its nice to give people a good day out & take real pleasure of seeing our birds sail through the line - willing them through :lol::lol:

I beat and pick up at three shoots regularly each week and some more when I am available, some pay some dont,on one i am not paid and cook the beaters main course for lunch too, another guy does the puds and we are falling over beaters!

I used to shoot a lot but now have 2 labs, 3 spaniels all working and agree that the pleasure of working the dogs is more enjoyable than the shooting.

can recommend the PuBS site too got some beating there www.pubs.myfunforum.org