Tapered choke key

Houseplant

Probably the dumbest question of the day :blush:, but I am new to this.

Got a tapered key for my Teague extended chokes as per PW advice, but it does need a little encouragement to give enough friction to tighten the choke. I don't want to over or indeed under do it, so any advice?

Also, of the chokes I have got (skeet; 1/2; 3/4; full), I was thinking skeet for clays and pigeon decoying and 1/2 for roost shooting and rabbits. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Spin the choke with the key in it until it is in the barrel.

Push the choke key firmly into the choke and tighten clockwise.

While still tightening the choke,pull the key out.

Because of the design it is not possible to overtighten the chokes.

Remember to loosen the chokes when you have finished shooting but remember to tighten them before the next use.

Personaly I don't like the Teague tapered key idea.I would rather have the type of choke/key with slots/legs on.

Better still use extended chokes and check them by hand between stands.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

• 1 month later...

Is there a reason for loosening the chokes after shooting or is it just to remove the possibility of seizing when not in use?

After every shoot I clean the gun top to bottom, chokes, barrels, receiver, ejectors and always go over every metal part with an oily rag... I'd defiantly take both chokes out, clean the barrel threads and also the choke threads and wipe over with an oily rag after It's clean. Also, put your woollen mop (with a little oil) inside the bore just past the threads as well and give it a few twists. Never had a problem with them sticking.

As do I everytime without fail! But one post advised loosening them when not in use and re-tightening before using again,

Had me wondering as to the point of doing it? To my way of thinking, if your gona bother loosening them you may as well have them out and clean them, lube them and re- tighten them ready for use next time.

It is not necessary to clean a modern shotgun after every use but there is no harm in doing so.

There will come a time when you don't clean it after use and that is when the chokes may stick.

The problem is caused by combustion gases getting down the side of the choke,no matter how tight it is and some makes of choke are worse than others.These gases can very quickly cause corrosion around the choke threads.

So,as soon as you have finished shooting,loosen the chokes.That way you will avoid the expensive trip to the 'smith to get them removed after they have glued themselves in.

Vic.

Personaly I don't like the Teague tapered key idea.I would rather have the type of choke/key with slots/legs on.

Vic.

Same here :look: :no::yes: , quite what possessed Nigel Teague to decide on friction tightening between the INSIDE of a precision made metal insert and the rough outside of some horrid key has always puzzled me. I mean what is wrong with 4 tiny slots? The thing is you can never be sure it is tight enough and I for one wouldn`t want to continually press down on the key to give enough bite, it just seems so wrong :/ .

If I ever bought a gun with Teagues I`d change them for Brileys.

Yes that's what I thought the reason was.

See a few of the lads at the local club remove the chokes from their guns and give them a quick brush out before putting the gun away after shooting. Most of them are extended which makes it a little easier as they always seem to be winding them in and out & swapping them with just there fingers. Mine are flush & although I always carry the key to check them from time to time I tend to leave removal until I get home and strip and clean everything properly. A wise & valuable peice of information though & full taken on board, will be loosening at the club when finished from now on.

Same here :look: :no::yes: , quite what possessed Nigel Teague to decide on friction tightening between the INSIDE of a precision made metal insert and the rough outside of some horrid key has always puzzled me. I mean what is wrong with 4 tiny slots? The thing is you can never be sure it is tight enough and I for one wouldn`t want to continually press down on the key to give enough bite, it just seems so wrong :/ .

If I ever bought a gun with Teagues I`d change them for Brileys.

Same I agree with this, although saying that.. I know you aren’t often looking down the barrels the wrong way but I like the look of just a flush finish without any indents +Im sure the clays and pigeons prefer a smooth choke rather then teeth cut in :P, and also, Nigel seems a.. um.. pretty smart kind of guy, I wouldn't personally question his design method myself :lol:

Edited by Beretta Italy