Zeroing NV - what distance and tips

HW100TMXMAN

Hi All

Having taken the jump to the "green side" from lamp to Ir, after some recommendations on zeroing and anything else you think may help.

As always any advice you can give here will benefit not only me but all others..

Happy hunting

Hw100k

Gen 1 nrvs with additional bits

Harris bipod

HI Mate

I christened my gen.1 x 2.5 nv scope on Saturday night. Had it fitted to an AA S400 in .177. I had it zeroed to 25yds.

You have not said your whether .177 or .22 or what you will be shooting? Where are you intending to shoot it? I was shooting rats in and around, empty cattle sheds and I found the amount of i.r. refection from pens supports walls etc made target identification difficult. to combat this I will make a cover for the i.r. emitter, similar to the idea of the daytime cover of the objective lens. either that or I will make a lower powered emitter. Then I probably will fit it to my .25 HW80 as I took very few shots over 25 yds. If you are shooting in the open you will not have any problems with a 25yd zero in .177.

I hope some of the above helps/

ATB

Thanks.

.22, mostly rabbits open land, golf courses and hotel grounds!

Came up with another croper!! Spent about an hour last night zeroing (30mtrs about 1 inch group) only to try this morning with the cap down (daily light zero) and it was completely off...

Is this right/common? Or has it moved?

Zero for maximum point blank range whatever sighting system you use. NV may well have the scope quite high above the barrel which is not as good as a nice low scope, but all the same principles apply.

My gut feeling is 25 yards or a bit over sounds about right. That way you should be in the kill zone from around 10 yards out to around 30 without having to worry so much about range finding, which is harder at night anyway.

Thanks. Spent an hour or so last night judging distances upto 30 yards. Found that the cap down does make a massive difference to the zero and guess is just a rough guideline with perfection achieved at night.

I tried the torch in a box but wasn't as effective as the niknaks.