Help with Trap Shooting POI adjustment

chutley

I have an adjustable comb trap gun that I want to set up correctly for DTL and ABT.

How many inches higher should the point of impact be than the point of aim at 16 yards?

I have a fair bit of rib showing on my sight picture (figure of eight), but I am still having to cover the bird to break it. Shouldn't I be putting the bead on the base of the clay and busting it. To do that, how much higher should I be setting the gun to shoot - 6", a foot, more?

Appreciate that everyone is different and speed of taking the bird is key, but would like to know roughly how much higher the gun should shoot so I can set it up.

Thanks

Edited by chutley

I've found the best way to set up a trap gun is on a shooting range. Set the trap to zero degrees and stand on peg 3 so the clay is going straight away from you and keep repeat shooting it, you might need someone to spot how your kills are but I'm happy to do it by myself. I also vary the height of the clay from 1.5m to 3.5m just to ensure that the kills remain in the centre of the pattern. Just be mindful that you may need to adjust the cast of the comb whilst raising or lowering it to ensure your eye remains central to the rib.

I certainly don't worry about where the bead is I look at the clay and pull the trigger as I swing the gun into the clay.

As for the height of my eye above the rib, my iris sits on the rib, I've shot with it slightly higher too.

Different makes of trap guns, if they've got a mid bead and many don't, may have them set at a different distance from the front bead and that with the differing stock configuration will blow the figure of eight theory out of the water.

The one thing you can't do is try to align the bead to the clay, your focus of attention must be on the clay at all times, if you check the bead you'll stop the gun moving.

I recommend you see a good trap coach to sort the gunfit out with you.

Edited by PhilR

I have an adjustable comb trap gun that I want to set up correctly for DTL and ABT.

In my experience adjustable combs do not raise POI but merely give you the sight picture you happen to like. They can be very useful in making small cast alterations that will alter POI but only sideways. Our trap game over here is very different to that of the USA where guns are manufactured to shoot high from ground up so to speak. DTL is a relatively simple game where a flat shooting gun isn`t necessarily a handicap. If you want a gun that can have a variable POI then you have to look at something with barrel collar adjustment (a la Krieghoff) or an adjustable rib ( a la CG Impact). Lowering the front of the rib will induce a POI move upwards.

Lifting the comb excessively can in fact have the opposite effect by fooling you into thinking you now have a marvellous 20/80 gun and so have you subconciously shooting under everything :lol::no: . I`ve been there and done that etc,.................

A pattern plate is a good starting point to see where things are but as mentioned by another poster you really need to shoot moving trap clays to see when you`re OK. You will know when you have it set up correctly when you can mount and shoot comfortably and simple clays disappear in smoke, whether the comb is or how high the gun shoots isn`t nearly as important as whether you are hitting them.

Edited by Hamster

Thanks for the advice thus far chaps.

I played about at the 'pattern plate' today - back garden and old pallet. (Safety concious don't fret, I have the room and am surrounded by fields.) Shooting with a full choke and at 16 yards was quite illuminating.

Initially the mean POI was spot on the POA! The pattern was 50/50 split so it explains why I have been missing under birds and having to cover them to hit them. I have moved the comb up and the POI is now approx 3" above and the split is 70/30. I understand from a bit more research that this is about right for the average Trap shooter - it will now be 6" above at 32 yards.

Proof of any improvement will be on wednesday night when I try it on the range. I would like to have a sight picture that allows me to see the bird and not have to cover it with the barrels, otherwise what's the point, I could do just as well with my trusty sporter.

Lifting the comb excessively can in fact have the opposite effect by fooling you into thinking you now have a marvellous 20/80 gun and so have you subconciously shooting under everything :lol::no: . I`ve been there and done that etc,.................

me too. my gun shoots so low i have to blot everything out which isnt ideal. ive tried lifting the comb and the like which works for going away and faster stuff, but anything else i go and stick the gun under everything and miss! i reckon i have a 40/60 split majority being low!

me too. my gun shoots so low i have to blot everything out which isnt ideal. ive tried lifting the comb and the like which works for going away and faster stuff, but anything else i go and stick the gun under everything and miss! i reckon i have a 40/60 split majority being low!

Ouch :lol: :unsure: , that sound like my old spec 682 sporter. The minute I changed to a tarp gun I gained 3-4 birds. I reckon you want to do something about that Emmsy ;) .