would u believe it

BTMS

Was out last night for a couple of hours ???:) on a hole in a rape field. Not many but I heard a rusteling sound a couple of times. Kept looking around and .... nothing.

Must confess it was spooky as the farmer next door has some pheasant brooders built and has 2 wonderful playful(Not) guard dogs cross between Alsatians and wolves.

Next thing I see is 3 muntjacks come out of the hedgerow and start walking towards my hide very very timid beasts got within 10yards. :devil:

Watched them for 20mins, it was amazing did not scare the pidgeons so in the end I had to shoot one (pidgeon) and did they move.....

Pity I fancied a bit of venison....

Whats the min reqauire ment for deer calibre wise?

We have some very thick bramble woods here in Lincolnshire. Muntjack are a really big problem, causing extensive damage to young tree plantations...

Rifles are not an option in these thick woods, we drive the woods to stood guns in rides. We use semi auto shotguns with 40gram AAA. These are very effective, and I have cleanly killed Muntjack up to 30 yards...

The venison is ok, not the best, use the older animal venison for slo cooking...

all the best...

Gary...

Give BASC a call, they should know. Try the BDS or St.Hubets Club. :devil:

The BDS will probably want their local control group to come out and do the job.

I used to shoot on a neighbouring farm and every Saturday in February we used to sort the deer out with shotguns and the right size shot.

I've never fired at a deer at what I consider the right range, 25 yards or less, with special SG or bigger without it came down like a bag of ****e stone dead.

I haven't been involved for some time now but not so long ago, the party was greeted, on their return to the farmyard, by the local police. They now have to use rifles.

If it is safe to use a rifle, you won't be allowed to use a shotgun any more.

I'm not 100% sure on this but i seem to remember reading in the sporting gun about having to use rifled slugs througha shotgun to reach the required calibre and the required muzzle energy to make it legal,if this is the case i'm fairly sure you need a fac to purchase rifled slug ammunition,if this is right by the time you have gone through the hassle of fac application you may as well apply for an appropriate rifle for the job firts as last,this more convntional application will be less likely to raise eyebrows down at the cop shop and be a hell of a lot more practical for the job :devil: