Is no one else worried about these

I hate to be a kill joy but is no one else even slightly concerned that under current legislation FAC holders are allowed to own these new fantangled military style semi auto weapons (in .22lr)with hi capacity magazines.

I mean come on what realistic purpose can anyone have for owning an MP5 or M4 replica in .22lr with a 50 round drum magazine, other than to fulfil some militaristic fantasy. The accuracy, other than short range, is rubbish so that rules out consistency in regard to vermin shooting and lets face it when was the last time you saw more than 15 rabbits to shoot at in one area (thus the 50 round mag is not necessary). It strikes me as insane considering the prohibition on handguns, that a person can legally own such weapons, with no real necessity, and potentially go nuts with such potential.

I totally agree with the necessity for semi-auto weapons in .22 rim fire (as they are often very capable tools when dealing with vermin) and the need for a removable magazine, say a round deal like the 10/22 standard. I just don’t see the need for the 50 round mags or these posy weapons that look like military kit but tend to give the impression to buyers that they are 'not as lethal' when they clearly are just as deadly at the short ranges that nutters tend to shoot at. I Just think its giving way to maximising the potential of the potential nutter.

No doubt folk on here are gonna chastise me for giving this up to the antis but I really feel this is an issue - and I think it would benefit us all if the firearm owning community could take a proactive stance and actually enlighten government about such matters - lets face it 1 in 4 is gonna suffer mental health issues at some point in their lives and whilst most of us, if faced with such issues would happily relinquish ownership of our arms, some would do differently.....

Edited by Newsportshooter

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be a kill joy but is no one else even slightly concerned that under current legislation FAC holders are allowed to own these new fantangled military style semi auto weapons (in .22lr)with hi capacity magazines.

I mean come on what realistic purpose can anyone have for owning an MP5 or M4 replica in .22lr with a 50 round drum magazine, other than to fulfil some militaristic fantasy. The accuracy, other than short range, is rubbish so that rules out consistency in regard to vermin shooting and lets face it when was the last time you saw more than 15 rabbits to shoot at in one area (thus the 50 round mag is not necessary). It strikes me as insane considering the prohibition on handguns, that a person can legally own such weapons, with no real necessity, and potentially go nuts with such potential.

I totally agree with the necessity for semi-auto weapons in .22 rim fire (as they are often very capable tools when dealing with vermin) and the need for a removable magazine, say a round deal like the 10/22 standard. I just don’t see the need for the 50 round mags or these posy weapons that look like military kit but tend to give the impression to buyers that they are 'not as lethal' when they clearly are just as deadly at the short ranges that nutters tend to shoot at. I Just think its giving way to maximising the potential of the potential nutter.

No doubt folk on here are gonna chastise me for giving this up to the antis but I really feel this is an issue - and I think it would benefit us all if the firearm owning community could take a proactive stance and actually enlighten government about such matters - lets face it 1 in 4 is gonna suffer mental health issues at some point in their lives and whilst most of us, if faced with such issues would happily relinquish ownership of our arms, some would do differently.....

So what shooting sports do you do then ? this sort of attitude helped loose handguns , just because you dont do it you seem to think no one else should , have you never heard of practical shooting , fifty round mags have been around for years , I have seen them used in Mini Rifle .

Some people like to paper punch some like to go out and kill animals . Just because its not your choice it doesnt have to be banned , remeber divide and conquer .

Dave

Paint ballers worry me and anyone that has played a shoot em'up computer game 'cause they have conditioned their brain that it's OK to aim at people!!

Depression or mental health problems? where do you draw the line? You've just ruled out women who suffer from PMS hav'ing guns and most of us will go through several jobs in our lifetime that will give you stress several times so do you suggest handing in your guns every time your bank balance goes down. And how long would it take for you to get them back 1 year 2 years.

Trust is what we must have.

So what shooting sports do you do then ? this sort of attitude helped loose handguns , just because you dont do it you seem to think no one else should , have you never heard of practical shooting , fifty round mags have been around for years , I have seen them used in Mini Rifle .

Some people like to paper punch some like to go out and kill animals . Just because its not your choice it doesnt have to be banned , remeber divide and conquer .

Dave

And Practical Shotgun :good:

Seconded :good:

Paladin

Edited by Paladin

Dave

Yeh but hang on you havent answered the question - what exactly do you need a 50 round mag for?????

A Ruger 10/22 is ok? Well, what about one with a hotlips extended magazine that will take 30 rounds? Where's the difference between 30 rounds and 40 rounds. What about 50 rounds?

What if it takes less than 2 seconds to swap out magazines? So then, what about someone with a 10/22 Ruger and 5 x 10 round mags?

What about someone with 10/22 with a custom stock that makes it look like a......

Paint ballers worry me and anyone that has played a shoot em'up computer game 'cause they have conditioned their brain that it's OK to aim at people!!

Depression or mental health problems? where do you draw the line? You've just ruled out women who suffer from PMS hav'ing guns and most of us will go through several jobs in our lifetime that will give you stress several times so do you suggest handing in your guns every time your bank balance goes down. And how long would it take for you to get them back 1 year 2 years.

Trust is what we must have.

TRUST - are you kidding me - are you telling me you trust every FAC holder or potential FAC holder in the UK, come on...

A Ruger 10/22 is ok? Well, what about one with a hotlips extended magazine that will take 30 rounds? Where's the difference between 30 rounds and 40 rounds. What about 50 rounds?

What if it takes less than 2 seconds to swap out magazines? So then, what about someone with a 10/22 Ruger and 5 x 10 round mags?

What about someone with 10/22 with a custom stock that makes it look like a......

Exactly the point - a nutter having to swap out 10 round mags is a hell of a lot less dangerous than one with a couple of 50 round drums. do you guys really have that much faith in society to really think it is not an issue???

It's a difficult one. They're not my cup of tea and I don't think they portray a great image to the public, especially when they are carried by some Walting SF wannabe loon dressed head to foot in cammo and webbing.

However I would imagine they are fun to shoot and there's nowt wrong with that, shooting doesn't have to be up itself and deadly serious, as long as it's safe. Most people I'm sure, use them responsibly, have fun and don't pose in front of the mirror stroking them.

Should they be banned? No. I lived through the handgun and semi auto fullbore bans. Neither made the world a safer place, and once you start, where do you stop? Derek Bird used as CZ .22 and a shotgun - why not ban those?

Shooting is a very diverse sport. Just because another discipline isn't your thing, why shouldn't others enjoy it? If you do starting picking and choosing which guns should be banned, don't expect any sympathy when they eventually and inevitably, they come for yours.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Dont just quote the last line read all of it.

What you are doing is giving men in grey suits an idea to reduce the shooting comunity.

I had my first gun in 1958 and have seen a lot of changes don't instigate them..

Paladin

It's a difficult one. They're not my cup of tea and I don't think they portray a great image to the public, especially when they are carried by some Walting SF wannabe loon dressed head to foot in cammo and webbing.

However I would imagine they are fun to shoot and there's nowt wrong with that, shooting doesn't have to be up itself and deadly serious, as long as it's safe. Most people I'm sure, use them responsibly, have fun and don't pose in front of the mirror stroking them.

Should they be banned? No. I lived through the handgun and semi auto fullbore bans. Neither made the world a safer place, and once you start, where do you stop? Derek Bird used as CZ .22 and a shotgun - why not ban those?

Shooting is a very diverse sport. Just because another discipline isn't your thing, why shouldn't others enjoy it? If you do starting picking and choosing which guns should be banned, don't expect any sympathy when they eventually and inevitably, they come for yours.

Without being rude - AGAIN - exactly what is the discipline related to these weapons?

Without being rude - AGAIN - exactly what is the discipline related to these weapons?

NO NEED TO SHOUT AND CONDESCEND :no: As I said, not really my thing, but at a range where I shoot, some people plink away at reactive targets with these and have a hoot - why not? It's not serious, it's not competitive - it's FUN. Are you only worthy to shoot if you're into some deadly serious competitive target discipline, or deer stalking or what? You tell me? Perhaps it's only the types of shooting you do which should be allowed? :/

Dont just quote the last line read all of it.

What you are doing is giving men in grey suits an idea to reduce the shooting comunity.

I had my first gun in 1958 and have seen a lot of changes don't instigate them..

Paladin

Its nothing to do with giving men in grey, or other colour suits for that matter, the idea. Its to do with the fact that I (YES I ) cannot see a 'reasonable cause' for someone to have a leathal weapon capable of discharging 50 rounds without the need for some sort of intervention from the 'hopefully' sensible person that is firing it.....

Have you ever fired a fully automatic weapon? If not you are robbing yourself of a fantastic experience. To be allowed semi auto is a priveledge given the previous legislation introductions. Does it matter how many rounds a magazine holds? When issuing FAC's you are licencing the individual, not just the firearms they possess.

Again you talk nonsense

Want to take a straw poll on that? Oh right, yeah, you're the one that's right and everyone else is wrong.

Well done you :good:

No point having a discussion when your right and everyone else is wrong and you can't explain the difference between a Ruger 10/22 with a 10 round mag, 30 round hot lips mag or a 40, or a 50 round mag.

Incidentally I've used two 30 round hot lips mags whilst out on the bunnies and had / used upto 7 x 10 round mags in my other pockets.

No point discussing it though...

A mate wanted to bring his AR up to mine foxing that he uses for Practical rifle, i told him no just bring your cz " he is no nutter he just likes the thing and shoots it well" just it looks bad to my neighbours, who are only just comming round to the fact i don't wear tweeds :lol: . my opinion whatever floats your boat i can see someone could have a fine old time shooting up bits of paper and generally playing rambo with one of these things. Do i care? not a jot mate a nutter could turn a brushcutter or chainsaw into something far more deadly than a rimfire - we cannot legislate for the mentally ill

So... as far as you are concerned, features of any firearm should only be allowed if relevant to shooting live quarry!

What about target shooter, practicle rifle, mini police rifle comps... what about practical shotgun shooters... shall we ban hi capacity, semi shotguns and slugs too...

Get a grip man... if everyone had your attitude we would soon be resticted to 2 shot bolt action rifles and lose semi .22rfs too... there is no more justification for a .22 SA in the field as there is for a SA CF... A semi 6.5 or 308 would be a huge advantage in the field for me stalking if I had the unfortunate need for a second shot or where I stumbled upon multiple targets...

For gods sake think about what you are typing before you actually post it.... as far as I can see you are only interested in equipment that satisfies what you shoot!

And for the second time what exact use have these firearms?????

They have no use at all,but people want to own such a type of rifle.Do i have a use for owning 30 calibre rifles? Of course not,but i want to.

I know what you're trying to do.You're giving the anti's something to concentate on in the hope they'll leave your chosen type of gun alone,but they wont.Just remember-gun control is like a dripping tap that everytime they ban or restrict one thing it will soon lead to you over time.So what i say to you is shame on you because shooters should be showing solidarity no matter what discipline they choose.

I am getting the urge to buy one of these after reading this thread :lol:

I have a slot for 22 on my ticket, I AM filling it with one of these so I can enter mini rifle comps (in answer to your question OP.... mini rifle... negates the need for mag changes during the course of fire... allows for better times!)

Almost as good as Police Pistol comps... ahhh... I'm getting all teary eyed now..

Mini rifle is great fun... just because you find it un-PC.. doesn't mean we should ban them... trust me matey, far more damage could be done with a 10 or 20 rd mag in a .308 than could with a 50rd clip in a .22!!! c'mon... look at some of the other threads on here... I remember the funfair at Great Yarmouth shooting .22s in the shooting gallery!

Edited by Vipa