Jack Pyke Hunter Jacket - how waterproof is it?

Hi, after a recent foray to Norfolk I've found I need a waterproof camo jacket that doesn't roast me alive (my current one was made for winter fowling in Canada). I like the look of the Jack Pyke Hunter but I can't find any reviews that mention how well it keeps the rain out. Therefore, that is my question.

How well will this jacket keep out the rain?

Any other comments on build quality, hard-wearingness etc. are most welcome.

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by Labrador 99

hi martin .

lets start at the begining.

ive got 2 , one english oak , and the other green .

the oak i use and abuse whilst rabbitibg and pigeons , never got too hot or too cold , and hasnt let me down in the drizzle .

the green , ive used for three seasons pheasant shooting inc two formal northern driven days .

ive shot in the snow , wind and driving rain , and can honestly say only ever noticed a damp patch on my trigger arm elbow whilst shotting in a very heavy rain storm last december.

they dont look out of place with mole skin breaks on a formal day and they do the job very well .

only fault are the silly little elastic loops in pocket , although i cut them out in the left pocket i find them handy in the right for 4x AAA 36s incase charlie shows his face .

BUT

at the end of the day we are talking about a jacket that is 65 quid , and i think it does all jobs very well for that money .

hope this helps

adi

I've got one and i can honestly say i've never seen any rain coming through it, although saying this i notice that when im foxing in the winter when i have about 3 layers and my Jack Pike coat on and my arms were drenched a few times but not because of the rain, but the heat i think. These coats are great, i love mine, great for the rough shooting, loads of pockets on it to store everything you'd need, and 2 cartridge holders each holding 5 each, and quite cheap at £65. Great coats, i dont think you would get a better coat for the money to be honest ;) ;) ;)

It is`nt so much the degree of water resistance with lower cost clothing, rather is it the degree of "breathability" which is affected by the price.

Jack Pyke stuff is waterproof enough. What it, and all budget waterproofs,don`t do very well is to let condensation out.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

just out of interest, is the fleece made from the same material as the hunter jacket? thanks.

Brilliant coat, I also have the fleece and a couple of pairs of the hunter trousers.

First class for waterproofing, functionality and value for money

HTH Rich

It is`nt so much the degree of water resistance with lower cost clothing, rather is it the degree of "breathability" which is affected by the price.

Jack Pyke stuff is waterproof enough. What it, and all budget waterproofs,don`t do very well is to let condensation out.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

the back does get a little sweaty sometimes , but so does my expensive work coats .

just out of interest, is the fleece made from the same material as the hunter jacket? thanks.

They are both different materials, I have a lot of Jack Pyke gear and if you get hot and sweaty you do get wet as they don't breath that well but for the price are fantastic value.

have both jack pyke jacket and trousers. Brilliant waterproof, got soaking wet the other day my gloves were so bad they soak right tought to my hands. When i took of the jacket my cloths were bone try, i would recommend them. but to warm for summer. Hope this helps :good:

• 2 weeks later...

the back does get a little sweaty sometimes , but so does my expensive work coats .

i've got £350 Berghaus jakets that do exactly the same, for the price you aren't going to beat it, go for it. If i had to critisise it would be the stupid bloody cartridge holders and the storm cuffs are so tight they're bloody uncomfortable and not adjustable, although you can undo them.

• 2 weeks later...