could you manage without your mobile phone ?

Harnser

I have had a mobile phone since they first came out several years ago . My first one was the size of a large Lady's handbag with a carrying handle and a full size telephone receiver on the top . I needed this monster as at the time I was traveling around the country buying cars from auctions for local dealers .

After a couple of years they became smaller and more mobile . The next generation phone looked more like the American field radios that you see on ww11 movies ,a bit smaller and a bit more practical ,but none the less still very cumbersome . We now have the modern generation phone that can do just about everything . At the time I had my first phone ,cumbersome as it was I couldnt manage without it . Could you manage without yours ?

Harnser .

i would love yo do with out my phone but work is a call out job so i need it . i remember the early days at pirtek when we had 2way radio's which made it easy to skive using the good old interferance tactics , but now im on my own ,my phone is my wageslip .

harnser , i remember my first too , 1990 . 4 hours battery life and a huge ammount per minute . pluss the 50 quid a month line rental to huttinson telecom .

those where the days . :yes:

adi

I don't think I could, not that this has anything to do with it, but I'm 23, and my mobile has Facebook, email, really good internet, satnav and maps ect, and I have built it into everyday life, it allows me to plan my week, month ect and keep in touch with people I dont see that often. I do say to my mates all the time, remember we were a lot younger, and would say, meet me down the park at 4pm, and you would be there bang on time, now 2 mins past the time your calling and wondering ect.

I don't think I could, not that this has anything to do with it, but I'm 23, and my mobile has Facebook, email, really good internet, satnav and maps ect, and I have built it into everyday life, it allows me to plan my week, month ect and keep in touch with people I dont see that often. I do say to my mates all the time, remember we were a lot younger, and would say, meet me down the park at 4pm, and you would be there bang on time, now 2 mins past the time your calling and wondering ect.

Surely though that's just convenience, you COULD manage without it but it'd require a change in how you plan your life.

In the same way, if I had to I could manage without a mobile. It'd be a proper pain in the **** as a lot of my work is emailed through, but I need to be on it fairly quickly, so I guess I'd be getting someone to check it every time I called in, and I could, as I used to, find a phone box after every job and 'call in'. Sure as hell wouldn't want to though!

We had too in Canterbury last week for a day as all networks went down. It was very strange at work , very quiet

We had that too so had to break out the satellite phones that we get issued with for serious incidents and they shut the phone networks down. No escape from big brother!

i would love yo do with out my phone but work is a call out job so i need it . i remember the early days at pirtek when we had 2way radio's which made it easy to skive using the good old interferance tactics , but now im on my own ,my phone is my wageslip .

harnser , i remember my first too , 1990 . 4 hours battery life and a huge ammount per minute . pluss the 50 quid a month line rental to huttinson telecom .

those where the days . :yes:

adi

I used to have to pay £1 per minute for an outgoing call and £1 per minute for an incoming call .

Harnser .

I used to have to pay £1 per minute for an outgoing call and £1 per minute for an incoming call .

Harnser .

my first bill was just shy of 400 quid back then . it was a fortune in the early 90's . had to sell plenty of motors to pay that b##ger . lol

I also used one of the early phones with a shoulder strap and full size receiver. Battery life was so bad that it was like being a spy - used to turn it on for a few minutes at pre-arranged times to receive calls. :lol:

Like most have said, I obviously could manage without a mobile, but it would be a big inconvenience and would mean changing things.

When they first became popular, a lot of people made a nuisance of themselves thinking everyone else was impressed by them talking loudly to all their friends in public places etc. Now the novelty has worn off, MOST people seem to be more socially responsible now and they are a useful tool.

Edited by HW682

I have had a mobile phone since they first came out several years ago . My first one was the size of a large Lady's handbag with a carrying handle and a full size telephone receiver on the top . I needed this monster as at the time I was traveling around the country buying cars from auctions for local dealers .

After a couple of years they became smaller and more mobile . The next generation phone looked more like the American field radios that you see on ww11 movies ,a bit smaller and a bit more practical ,but none the less still very cumbersome . We now have the modern generation phone that can do just about everything . At the time I had my first phone ,cumbersome as it was I couldnt manage without it . Could you manage without yours ?

Harnser .

I wasn't far behind you Harnser... My first mobile was a permanently installed Panasonic in the car... I still rember in 1990 being in awe at my buddies hand held brick.... I used to play squash with him and remember every week just sitting in the bar playing with his phone!!!

When I was an employee, I used to get pains in my chest and start having anxiety attacks if I left home without my phone... Not the same now but my iPhone augments my entire life now so would be completely lost without it...

A few days without access to the internet is bad enough!

face book and email is gash on a phone . i remember that my first phone didnt have a phonebook , but importat numbers on a sticker on the back !

no texts no email no nothing , just calls .

my first phone was a Siemens c11 i think

its amazing how far its developed with mobiles

When I was at work I "needed" a mobile phone to keep me in touch when I was away from the office, but I rarely had it with me out socially.

Now I am retired I rarely take my mobile phone anywhere with me, when I do its usually turned off, unless I want to make a call.

My wife has the number and I can't think of anyone else that has it.

Could I do without it...........Yes, I usually do.

It's taken me years to get the wife to have a mobile again, she used to be a driver for Mobil oil and had one of the Motorolla house bricks and was on call 24 /7 . I feel naked if I go out without my phone but sometimes I don't use it to make a call for days.

I feel really lucky - I managed to go 55 yrs without a mobile and I survived - I have had one now for 12yrs that makes calls and I think it will take a picture - Ring mrs's when I get to a shoot - let it ring twice and hang up. £10 lasts me ages.

remember in early 80's one lad who was a shooter was scrounging old fixed line phones and set himself up as a telecom engineer - by mid 90's he owned a large Mobile company -- he sold it all for well over £1m. We thought he was mad and mobiles wouldn't take off especially brick sized.

Dave

I have had (or used) mobiles since they first came out, we were supplied with them to cover out of hours calls from 24/7 customers.

Just found the picture, it was one of these:

Mobira-car-phone-712544.jpg

Luckily we rarely got called out, and the money was good, but it meant having one of these.

This was the second generation:

moto10003.jpg

It could be carried like this, or it split in half to make a car kit, half it went in the boot.

In the early days you would get funny looks and the inevitable "how far can you call with that" type questions.

Calls were about £1/minute and in those days and the shop that connected you got a cut of all the calls you had throughout your contract period. A good few people, like Mr London Car Telephones, made their fist million off the back of these.

As for doing without, yes I can.

The most important function of my mobile is my list of contacts, I back it up to a PC but would still be lost without those.